PDA

View Full Version : RVing below zero

Loki
04-29-2012, 04:49 AM
We are contemplating to stay a couple weeks in a Colorado ski area next January, with temperatures possibly dropping below zero at least in the night. With the new lightweight technology used in our rig, is that feasible with a reasonable amount of preparation? I don't mind heat taping and insulating water lines, adding foam insulation here and there, or installing a skirt, but will that be enough?

hankaye
04-29-2012, 06:01 AM
Loki, Howdy;

Depends on which part of Co. you are going to.
You may have to use chains;

http://www.tirechain.com/COLORADO-ROAD-CONDITIONS.HTM

Some are for Commerical Vehicals and some are for EVERYONE...

If you are not familure with driving (towing), in winter conditions
I think I'd take the gas/fuel, skirting, heat tape & foam insulation $'s and spend them on a Hotel and airfare...

hankaye

Ruffus
04-29-2012, 06:19 AM
Hey Loki
My advice is to stay in a condo or motel. Coming from Colorado and living there for many years I have found that first of all you are going to find it very difficult to find a campground or rv resort that is open unless it's right on the interstate and even those are hard to find. All the State campgrounds close in early to mid fall. The private ones close up about the same time and head out to Hilton Head SC.
If you were to just dry camp along the road and a storm came in your rv would be stuck until next spring. There are a lot of nice and warm places to stay in the ski areas but most Colorado ski areas are in valleys which means you have to traverse some steep passes to get to them.
Just my 2 cents worth from years of living there and driving a tow truck in those mountains.:(

Festus2
04-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Loki -

You might want to check Geo's posts/threads for his extensive report and the mods and upgrades he has carried out with respect to insulating and ensuring his RV is able to withstand sub-zero temperatures.
If you are travelling during the winter from SC to Colorado, my major concern would be the road conditions. For the amount of modification and upgrades you would have to undertake for 2 weeks camping in freezing temperatures, it might be easier and just as cheap to book yourself into a motel as Jim suggested in his post.

Loki
04-29-2012, 05:48 PM
I forgot to mention that we will be fulltiming at the time, probably being in one of the western states anyway. I wouldn't pull the trailer all the way from SC to CO just for a couple weeks of skiing! There is a year-round campground in Aspen/Basalt, right next to Snowmass where we want to ski.

Festus2
04-29-2012, 07:38 PM
I'd still recommend browsing through geo's posts about the mods he did to make his unit cozy and warm in cold temperatures.

hankaye
04-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Loki, Howdy;

Having spent 3 of the last 4 winters in Central Utah ... you know the place
... where the winter storms whip themselves into shape before clobbering Colorado ????? This past winter I went to Southern New Mexico (much warmer :thumbsup:). I got tired of -20's -30's & -40 degree temps.....
Sounds exciting...ain't. Alot of work and worries..... Maybe you'll do better.
I think I'm just getting to 'mature' for the hard winter crap...
Think me & Rascal will grow to enjoy the winters in N.M. from now on.....

Just got back to Utah today Lows tonight low 30's. The high temp. here today was the low in N.M. 2 nights ago (67). Thenight before we left...

hankaye & Rascal (woof)

Loki
04-30-2012, 04:34 AM
Yeah, after those two weeks in the Colorado Rockies you'll find us in southern Arizona and N.M. for the rest of the winter too...

Geoffwhite18
04-30-2012, 07:09 AM
I have a 2010 Montana that we live in in north Dakota. Before I out skirting on the trailer w had freezing problems with any temperature below 20 deg F. The fresh water in the fresh water tank at the back of the trailer would freeze. Also the water pump is not very well protected from outside air so it freezes as well. Kind of a disappointment.

geo
04-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Oh, I'll mention this again later. I was finishing up mods installing Sirius radio (antenna, wiring) and a WiFi booster this weekend. I pulled some electrical up the entertainment access located at the rear of the kitchen/entertainment center slide.

I was under the impression that the walls of the slides were insulated with Styrofoam. They are not! The slide walls have the familiar white R-7 Fiberglass insulation inside them! Not much I can do about that!

Ron

Jet Fixer
09-09-2012, 10:27 AM
I say... Go for it!! January is the coldest month in Colorado and staying two weeks is a walk in the park. You should however purchase or rent a larger propane tank. At minus 5 in Montana in Feb I was burning through both 30lb bottles in 48 hours. Portable heaters are a must so hopefully the park you are staying at has 50 amp. 30 amp with two heaters going and you try to use the micro or the wife fires up a blow dryer it will trip. I had no external siding for the full month and had no problems. 4x4 helped when it was time to leave. JUST DO IT!! YOU WILL HAVE A VACATION TO TALK ABOUT FOR YEARS TO COME. You will have so much fun that you will do it again. Good luck and happy trails!

hankaye
09-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Loki, Howdy;

Don't let last winter fool ya..... The Rocky Mtn. States had the
warmest Winter in over 100 years !

The 3 previous were near if not record setters (2011 was!!),
for amount of snow fall and cold temps...

Co. State Chain Law went into effect Sept. 1

hankaye