PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for full timers

misplacedtxn
04-25-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm a first time fifth wheel owner and have some questions about insurance. Just bought one and now shopping for insurance and frankly need some sound advice from those who live in their rigs. I have read on here good things about Good Sam and GMAC.

What is the recommendation for insurance for living in a fifth wheel? I've been a USAA policy holder for 15 years for auto/home. Is any part of it covered while hooked up to tv?

Are there different types of policies for living in one, or is it similar to homeowner insurance?

I need to decide and purchase this week so any quick responses would be great. Thanks.

antiqfreq
04-25-2012, 01:51 PM
We use RV Explorer out of Ohio.

I did have fulltimers insurance on it for the year and a half we traveled.

It is the same as your house insurance basicly. Has high limits of liability coverage. (You never know when your neighbor might insured themselves inside your unit or going outside of it).

Their rates were good for us and we have full, 100% replacement policy. It will pay us what we paid for unit new. Granted they are more now, but at least we'll get back what we put into it.

Also have awning coverages for the regular awning & the slide awning toppers.

Take care & have full fulltiming!

Jo

geo
04-25-2012, 02:47 PM
We aren't full-timing yet. We have Progressive. It has the option for when we do switch to full-time here in 2 years, etc. Been pretty happy with it.

Ron

gerry.witt
05-03-2012, 03:53 AM
You can get an AARP online RV insurance quote and they’d be more than willing to give you more information about fifth wheels and what exactly they can cover.

hankaye
05-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Howdy All;

Coulda swore that I'd replied to this already ....

Anyway, I have GEICO, worked fine for me when I had a freeze-out 3 winters ago. No questions asked, paid full amount (I payed my deductiable).

hankaye

SJC
09-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Hello, can anyone tell me what's the average Insurance payment like for full-timer RV insurance coverage per year?

Thanks!

antiqfreq
09-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Ours was around $600 with full replacement value for our RV.

Remember your filltimers insurance is like your home insurance
so you have insurance to cover you like you would with your
house - you know, the guy at the party who falls out the door and
maybe breaks an ankle going down the stairs (hey, it happens!)

Jo

stormy2000
09-20-2012, 03:45 PM
We have progressive insur. it covers our TT whether we are towing it, storage, or in a campground. We told them we are full-timing which then gives added coverage in liability and stuff.

get quotes from different insur co's. as they are free and match up with what each offers, progressive even had a $1000 for our pet if she got hurt in the TT.

the avg cost for a year can go we found from $420 to in the thousands, all depending on what you want (deductions, coverage amt, etc.), and so on.

hope this helps.

bill & jodi

SJC
09-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Thank you! I'll do some research. I heard Sam is good, and I tried calling them, but they say they don't cover full timer insurance.

smiller
09-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Thank you! I'll do some research. I heard Sam is good, and I tried calling them, but they say they don't cover full timer insurance.
If you mean Good Sam (GMAC) then they definitely do provide full-timer coverage... and I know because I have it. :)

SJC
09-25-2012, 06:13 PM
What is your definition of full timer? I did mention that I am interested to purchase a policy that covers the owner parking the trailer on a property and living full time in it, and not traveling on the road. They say they don't cover, because those types is like homeowner insurance. Anyway, do you have the Good Sam's number? Maybe I called the wrong number! :banghead:

smiller
09-25-2012, 06:36 PM
You might have confused them by being too specific :D. Just say that you will be living in the RV full-time, I don't think it matters how much you move or whether you move. Or you may have gotten someone who wasn't well-trained which unfortunately isn't uncommon. Anyway call the main GMAC number (888-293-5108) but be sure to select the Good Sam option on the call director menu as they seem to have a separate group that handles Good Sam/RV business.

stormy2000
09-25-2012, 07:13 PM
you can go to the good sam website and fill in info to get free quote also. i also found out that by doing online and talking to gs reps on phone, I got diff $ amt quotes : )

SJC
09-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Thank you! I shall try all your suggestions.