PDA

View Full Version : Indiana - I70 east of Indianapolis?

SAD
04-10-2012, 04:34 PM
In August we're planning a camping trip with the inlaws from Buffalo, NY. We plan on meeting some place about 1/2 way between us.

Any recommendations on a nice campground not too far off I70 east of Indianapolis? One that can accommodate large campers (ours is 38-39 feet) and is not a parking lot (i.e. KOA)??

SAD
04-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Any place between Indianapolis and the Indiana/Ohio border would work. This puts us driving a bit farther than them, but prevents them from driving through a big city at the end of their day.

RogerM
04-10-2012, 05:31 PM
In August we're planning a camping trip with the inlaws from Buffalo, NY. We plan on meeting some place about 1/2 way between us.

Any recommendations on a nice campground not too far off I70 east of Indianapolis? One that can accommodate large campers (ours is 38-39 feet) and is not a parking lot (i.e. KOA)??

I live 30 miles east of Indy, right off I70, in fact, and there are not a lot to choose from, but here are my picks. In Knightstown, there is a Yogi Bear Jellystone that is pretty nice. There is a game room for kids, a 3 acre lake and activities pretty much every weekend. Plus full hookups :bdance:
Summit Lake State Park is about 20 miles from I70, just north of New Castle in Mt. Summit. It is a very nice campground, but not much to do unless you like to fish.
If you go to Richmond, Indiana, take SR27 south to Liberty, about 12 miles, to Whitewater State Park. Once again, a very nice campground, and nice walking trails. There is a large lake and horse trails there also.
Right next door to Whitewater is Brookville Reservoir. I have not camped there, but I have heard good things about it.
I hope some of these ideas help. If I think of anything else, I will let you know.
Happy Camping!
Roger

SAD
04-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the reply!

Doing "stuff" isn't super important since we'll be meeting family. We'll entertain ourselves with horseshoes, washers, or the like over an adult beverage... Mostly visiting.

But I am noticing what you mean by not much out there. I will look up the names you mention. Thanks again.

RogerM
04-10-2012, 06:22 PM
http://www.campindiana.org/

You may try the above link for some ideas, also.

I forgot about Walnut Ridge Campground. That is where I bought my camper, so they have a service and parts department there at the campground in case you need something...and Keystone is one of their main brands to sell. The campground is very clean.

onetwin
04-12-2012, 05:47 AM
Just east of the Indiana border in a town of New Paris Ohio there is a nice campground called Natural Springs Resort.

SAD
05-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Talked it over with family and looks like we're going to go ahead an stay at Summit Lake State Park. Seems to fit the bill for us.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/2967.htm

SAD
05-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Oh and I'm definitely keeping the other suggestions in mind for future "meet in the middle" trips with them.

jbsmith
05-07-2012, 02:13 PM
I'll second Natural Springs Resort. It's a nice campground...we frequent it often for shallow quarry scuba diving and a short haul just to get away with the kids in the summer. They've got a website with additional info available.

RogerM
05-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Talked it over with family and looks like we're going to go ahead an stay at Summit Lake State Park. Seems to fit the bill for us.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/2967.htm

If you get to the campground and need supplies or anything, let me know and maybe I can direct you to what you need. I live just a few miles from there, so I am familiar with the area. I check the forums often....:)