PDA

View Full Version : Brakes service need assistance.

Barrie
02-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Prior to putting the trailer away for winter I cleaned the brakes, packed the wheel bearings and had all 6 brake drums turned a few thousands of an inch including the surface the magnet. Now the the brakes will not lock up the drums or even come close. Is it because I turned the surface the magnet touches? I adjusted the brake shoes until they touched the drum.

flybouy
02-19-2012, 04:18 AM
Check your owner's manual for your a axel/brake mfg for proper brake adjustment. Typically they call for tightening the brake until you cannot turn the drum to seat the brake shoes against the drum then backing off the adjuster to get a light drag.

Barrie
02-20-2012, 01:23 AM
Thanks I will take a look at that when I pull it out next week. I'm hoping it may be a surface rust issue on the machined surface from the fall.

Ron
02-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Hi Barrie: as stated above, yes check adjustment, and also make sure you are receiving 12 volts at the TV at the plug when controler is manualley engadged, then go to TT at wheels and make sure you also have approx 12 volts at that point. After checking the voltage, then check to make sure you have a good ground form the Plug on the TV then from the plug on the TT to ground on the TT and at each magnet since they were removed for surfacing. Hope I explained this well and hope this helps. Happy Campin.............Ron