PDA

View Full Version : What BBQ to Buy??

halfprice
01-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Well I've about emptied my bank account on getting the 5th stocked up on the needed equipment.

I think the only thing left is a bbq. I've been looking at the Coleman gas bbq but it got alot of bad reviews. I was thinking about getting the Assie charcoal bbq. Home Depot has them for $40

What do you guys think. Gas or charcoal. I cook at home on an XLG Egg so I'm used to charcoal.

Storage is my biggest problem. What ever I get it has to go inside the trailer while travelling.

Any thoughts???? Please post them up.

Thanks Jerry

f6bits
01-21-2012, 10:44 PM
I use the Weber Q-120 and really like it. It’s small and relatively light, but it can sure cook!

KanTC
01-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Congrats on your 'new-to-you' 5th wheel & welcome to the forum -

No suggestions on the grill (sorry), but I will offer a thought:

If you plan to travel east, keep in mind that several western states have had periodic,
but strictly enforced, *fire bans* for the past couple of years... no charcoal grills -
gas grills only & they must have a 'lid'. Don't know if that's relevant to your decision.

Happy trails & travel safe,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

hankpage
01-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Well I've about emptied my bank account on getting the 5th stocked up on the needed equipment.

I think the only thing left is a bbq. I've been looking at the Coleman gas bbq but it got alot of bad reviews. I was thinking about getting the Assie charcoal bbq. Home Depot has them for $40

What do you guys think. Gas or charcoal. I cook at home on an XLG Egg so I'm used to charcoal.

Storage is my biggest problem. What ever I get it has to go inside the trailer while travelling.

Thanks Jerry

:wave: Welcome. In my opinion stay away from the Coleman grill. I have one and hate it. It is very hard to clean and almost impossible to keep lit in the slightest breeze. I won't even sell it because I would feel guilty that I stuck the buyer with it. :rolleyes: I use a Weber at home and I should not have tried to save a few pennies and went with the BabyQ in the first place. They also make a very good storage bag for the Weber. JM2¢, Hank

jje1960
01-22-2012, 08:24 AM

Thanks Jerry
We have the coleman, really love it! We did spring for the griddle plate, use that for breakfast mainly. Also, since you went with the Boliy, will throw-in a couple of other pics, just the way we do it. The rack pic is from the web.

JoeofNSB
01-22-2012, 08:53 AM
I really like the Camp Chef that I have. Used it for years and handles anything from pancakes on the griddle plate to deep frying a turkey. Won't do a rotisserie though - only drawback. Walmart sells them for a $225 thru the website only. Picture on my page if you want to see.

Festus2
01-22-2012, 09:04 AM
I would opt for a propane Weber. There are 2 or 3 smaller, portable models that are fairly easy to store, are very well built, and do an excellent job of BBQing. Check out the Weber website for a full description of each. If you really prefer charcoal, I think Weber also has 1 or 2 portable ones as well but they may take up a bit more space with also having to pack and store the charcoal briquettes. I don't think you will be disappointed if you buy one!

Jim W
01-22-2012, 09:16 AM
I used the Weber Q-120 also a great little cooker. The reason we purchased this one was the great reviews on it and the ability to use the on board propane from the camper. Our camper came equipped with a quick connect to allow the use of propane from the camper. Therefore I do not need to buy and carry additional propane bottles. The additional propane hose does not need a regulator and are fairly inexpensive to buy.
Jim W.

jje1960
01-22-2012, 09:17 AM
I would opt for a propane Weber. There are 2 or 3 smaller, portable models that are fairly easy to store, are very well built, and do an excellent job of BBQing. Check out the Weber website for a full description of each. I don't think you will be disappointed if you buy one!

Must admit, never went to the Weber website before.... Just did... that Weber Q320 is one cool looking grill! Kind of pricey... however has the most unique burner configuration I've ever seen.

Johnnyfry
01-22-2012, 10:15 AM
I too have heard the negative reviews on the Coleman.
In an ideal world, charcoal is hottest and is the best but, of course, the downside is the mess -- you have to set up, get the fire going before you cook and clean up the mess afterwards so, gas is probably the best compromise.

The Weber Q definitely seems to be the best of the lot, great reviews and looking at it it seems to be the best built, with a cast iron grate.. I am not too sure about those fancy stainless steel ones with the fancy price to match, they may be all show and no performance.

I have a sleazy little throw away tin can,but when I buy it will probably be the Weber.

IMHO,
John

cumminsdad08
01-22-2012, 04:52 PM
we char-coled for the first half of the season. it was good, but a pain. it was always raining, and always a mess to clean up. took time to just make burgers, and i have two kids 2-4, need i say more. we searched for a few months and finally i got sick of it and bought a colmen compact one. it works well, BUT... it does not have a stand and the propane bottles hang off it, so you almost have to have it on a table or something to use it. other pain is the lighter for it almost never works, so i got to use my long gas hand held one. not overly crazy about it, but we could never settle on one. so now i know that i prefer gas over the coal. just a matter of finding the right one.

halfprice
01-22-2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks for all the responses, and helping me spend more money :)

I did a quick seach and found the local Lowes had the Weber Q 120 for $179 and the Weber rolling foldable cart for $49

I want the bbq to be on its own cart or table. THe DW and I decided to wait and look around.

We then went to CW to pick up a few more things. THey had the Q 100 but I think I like the 120 better. THose two little fold out shelves are worth the extra money. CW did have the foldable cart for $39 so we got that. I'll do a little searching to see if I can find a better deal on the Q120. If not I will just get it at Lowes.

Thanks for the input. It went to good use.

Jerry

f6bits
01-22-2012, 05:48 PM
I definitely need to get the folding cart for my Q120. I don’t like cooking on the ground, and most parks don’t want you putting your grill on their picnic tables, which I’ve been *carefully* doing and feeling guilty about.

halfprice
01-22-2012, 06:43 PM
I definitely need to get the folding cart for my Q120. I don’t like cooking on the ground, and most parks don’t want you putting your grill on their picnic tables, which I’ve been *carefully* doing and feeling guilty about.

Exactly why I got the cart. We have a plastic type table from Costco but I didn't want to put the bbq on it.

I checked the bbq cart and it will fit on the bike rack that hangs off the ladder :bdance: This saves me from having to put it in the trailer.

The bbq and propane bottles will go into a rubbermaid type container. This is easily stored in the trailer.

Jerry

therink
01-22-2012, 07:45 PM
I love my Weber Q.
Steve

Festus2
01-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Rather than using the smaller, 1lb propane bottles, you might want to consider using the propane connect/disconnect outlet which is probably already on your 5th (located under the curb side front corner) OR a 20 lb propane tank. Both will require a hose with the proper fittings on it. Using one of these two propane supplies, will be far cheaper in the long run.

larrym
01-22-2012, 08:58 PM
I've enjoyed my Coleman RoadTrip for many years, through two motor homes, now my 5er, been good to me.

halfprice
01-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Rather than using the smaller, 1lb propane bottles, you might want to consider using the propane connect/disconnect outlet which is probably already on your 5th (located under the curb side front corner) OR a 20 lb propane tank. Both will require a hose with the proper fittings on it. Using one of these two propane supplies, will be far cheaper in the long run.

THe Q120 at Lowes comes with the propane hose. I looked for the connection under my 5th but didnt see one. Guess I better look again.

Jerry

halfprice
01-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Do have any photos of the fitting???????? I didn't see anything when I looked last week.

Jerry

hankpage
01-23-2012, 04:10 AM
Do have any photos of the fitting???????? I didn't see anything when I looked last week.

Jerry

My Cougar did not come with a quick connect so I use a Stay-Flow (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/stay-flow/30341) adapter with a 12' hose off my curb side 30lb. bottle. It saves a lot of money and aggravation of little bottles running empty.

halfprice
01-23-2012, 08:47 AM
My Cougar did not come with a quick connect so I use a Stay-Flow (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/stay-flow/30341) adapter with a 12' hose off my curb side 30lb. bottle. It saves a lot of money and aggravation of little bottles running empty.

THis will be on the next to buy list. I do have 8 of the small bottles. So I'll use them up and then buy this.

Jerry

hankaye
01-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Howdy All;

Choosing a BB-Q is kind of a personl thing.
I can understand the questions of;
Why did you get...
How well does it pack-up for traveling
etc. .....

As I am mostly cooking for myself, sometimes for one or 2 others
I don't need one of the backyard giants. But I tend to stay in one spot for months at a time....... what to buy ???????????

When I have time (generaly do), I have a Weber 'Smokey Joe' uses charcoal
gives me a better taste;

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/portable-charcoal-series/smokey-joe-silver-2

For quick and easy, I have a Master Forge;

http://www.lowes.com/pd_184640-10792-GR4039-014247_4294857759+4294850895_44_

Bought a 4' hose and run it off one of the RV's tanks.

In my storage unit in Utah I keep, for special occisions.
such as smoking 30 ro 40 pound of ribs. Slow cookin' 5 or 6
pork shoulders ... stuff like that. :bdance:

a Brinkman smoker;

http://www.brinkmann.net/products/outdoor_cooking/charcoal_smokers_and_grills/details.aspx?item=805-2101-W

The legs are the weak-point on this one. Will be fabricating a better set myself.

My thinking is that everyone needs to realize how much cooking do ya intend to do, what TYPE of cooking do you prefer to do, how many hungry mouths do you have to feed on a regular basis...
It's always a personal choise.......

my nickle's worth .....

hankaye

Festus2
01-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Hank......
Just a reminder that the forum has a limit of 2 cents per post. It is against forum policy to express opinions that are worth a nickle in a single post. :rofl:
We are trying to keep our posts within budget.

SAABDOCTOR
01-23-2012, 09:12 AM
WE LOVE OUR WEBER Q 200 IT FITS IN THE CAMPER AND IS EASY TO CLEAN COOKS WELL EVEN IF I DON'T. ENJOY YOUR NEW 5ER AND WELCOME:bdance:

hankaye
01-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Festus2, Howdy;

Hank......
Just a reminder that the forum has a limit of 2 cents per post. It is against forum policy to express opinions that are worth a nickle in a single post. :rofl:
We are trying to keep our posts within budget.

Mearly attempting to allow for exchange rates and inflation ....:wave: :bdance:

hankaye

jje1960
01-23-2012, 02:34 PM
I've read many posts with negative cleaning issues with the Coleman. We have not had any cleaning issues. Pair of rubber gloves and rag or my personal favorite, just spray the entire thing down with the hose and cleaner. Just wondering what is different about cleaning the Coleman than any other grill that has grease dripped all over it? Actually, with the high quality coated grill plates, everything just kind of falls off anyway.... Not wanting to start a stupid grill war here, just a bit perplexed!

Festus2
01-23-2012, 04:03 PM
jje1960
I've never cleaned a Coleman before so can't comment on how one is any different or better than the other with regards to cleaning. Our Weber still requires scrubbing and cleaning and the rubber gloves, rags and all of the other stuff sounds quite familiar. I don't have the self-cleaning Weber model.

halfprice
01-23-2012, 04:27 PM
jje1960
I've never cleaned a Coleman before so can't comment on how one is any different or better than the other with regards to cleaning. Our Weber still requires scrubbing and cleaning and the rubber gloves, rags and all of the other stuff sounds quite familiar. I don't have the self-cleaning Weber model.

Whatever bbq I get it will be self cleaning. Me, myself, and I will clean it, definately not the DW :p

Jerry

jq1031
01-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Regarding your budget, the Coleman is very cost effective, however, alot of negetive reviews on it. Weber Q is excellent which I had, as is the Olympian which I have now. If you have the quick connect set up on the 5er, look into the Olympian as it comes ready to use without the regulator & with the quick connect hose. In case you don't know or are unaware, if using your RV,s system another regulator on the grill will make it unable to operate as the propane coming from the bottles are already low pressure & ready to cook.

halfprice
01-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Regarding your budget, the Coleman is very cost effective, however, alot of negetive reviews on it. Weber Q is excellent which I had, as is the Olympian which I have now. If you have the quick connect set up on the 5er, look into the Olympian as it comes ready to use without the regulator & with the quick connect hose. In case you don't know or are unaware, if using your RV,s system another regulator on the grill will make it unable to operate as the propane coming from the bottles are already low pressure & ready to cook.

Thanks for the input. The Coleman and Weber are very close in price, not counting the table I already purchased, but after seeing both at CW I like the Weber better.

I again checked for a gas outlet on the 5th. None :banghead: So the regulator won't be a problem. I'll be getting the Stay-Flow adapter and run the bbq off of it.

Jerry

FLsprinter
01-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Went to walmart bought a little rectangle grille they had for $25 has folding legs. Fits easily in storage area. Had for 2 yrs. now Love it ! Nothing Fancy but it cooks ...:thumbsup:

halfprice
01-23-2012, 08:47 PM
I did a search on Amazon. They have the q120 for $179 Same price everywhere but free shipping and no tax. Ca tax would have been about $14

They also had the splitter with 12' hose for $47. THis is $20-$30 cheaper than CW. Again free shipping and no tax.

So the bbq situation is done. I'm slowly getting everything I need to take the trailer out on our first trip. First trip should be Feb 17-19. Plan on doing a close beach trip, San Clemante or Dana Point to try everything out and make a list of more needed things :)

Jerry

Shelbs
01-24-2012, 05:18 AM
I had a Coleman. Frustration reached a boiling point about 4 years ago and it ended up in the campground dumpster. Same day I went to Home Depot and bought aWeber Q-120 and have never looked back. It also has a griddle to available which I use for breakfast almost every morning.

I grew up on charcoal and I love it. But for travel and camping, I am just not sure it makes sense. But as gas grills go, you will not regret going with any of the Weber Q models. Happy camping and happy grilling!!!!

f6bits
01-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Speaking of the beloved Q120, and other propane grills, I left my little Coleman propane bottle screwed into the grill. Is that the right thing to do? I didn’t want to remove it and have all the propane leak out. Yes, the grill knob is turned off.

halfprice
01-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Its fine to take the bottle off. No gas will come out. If it does something is wrong with the bottle. I would say its better to take it off. Leaving it on could bend the valve if the bottle gets knocked around alot or hit hard.

Jerry

jac3i
02-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Is any one using the volcano grill http://www.volcanogrills.com/ I can use propane, charcoal or wood. I am tempted but I have never seen one or know of any one who has sued one.

jsmith948
02-05-2012, 09:07 AM
We purchased our grill at Costco $109.00
SS with folding legs and latching lid
20,000 BTU two burner w/ removable grease drip pan
Comes equipped with with a regulator for connecting to a large propane tank
We changed the hose to an unregulated quick disconnect that plugs in to the RV's low pressure side
I will try to attach a photo
Cooks great!

jje1960
02-05-2012, 09:36 AM
We purchased our grill at Costco $109.00
SS with folding legs and latching lid
20,000 BTU two burner w/ removable grease drip pan
Comes equipped with with a regulator for connecting to a large propane tank
We changed the hose to an unregulated quick disconnect that plugs in to the RV's low pressure side
I will try to attach a photo
Cooks great!
That is one nice looking grill! Only problem is with seeing all these nice grills, will probably be to old and give up RVing by the time my Coleman is ready to be replaced!

Bob Landry
02-05-2012, 11:10 AM
We use a Weber 100/Baby Q that I bought at Target for $150. When I'm cooking it sits on a folding TV table($8 at WalMart). The table also doubles as a snack/drink table between our chairs when we sit outside. I like to make things do double duty. Now, if I could just accomplish that with DW. No... I didn't say that.
I really like the taste of food cooked on charcoal, but I havn't had a charcoal grill in years. I thought about one for the camper, but then I remembered what a PITA it was to have to clean tit up and dispose of ashes. That would even be a little worse in a campsite, because you wouldn't want to store it unless it was squeaky clean. The Baby Q is perfect for two people.

Harley76
02-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Must have a smoker.
Bought this about 4yrs. ago. I can smoke a whole chicken with just 12 pieces of charcoal. This is a post I made about it on one of the BBQ forums I hang out at.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90761

halfprice
02-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Must have a smoker.
Bought this about 4yrs. ago. I can smoke a whole chicken with just 12 pieces of charcoal. This is a post I made about it on one of the BBQ forums I hang out at.

Nice to see a fellow Brethren on this site. I bought the Weber Q120 but what I really wanted was a mini Green Egg (still might get one). My LXbge is not a mobile smoker. I did check several CGs and many do not allow charcoal grills. To much of a fire hazard. SO the Q will do nice for what I what and need.

Jerry

hankaye
02-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Harley76, Howdy;

Must have a smoker.

Great link; Got my courisioty up about that 'Special' Sauce.
Please Pm particulars....

Thanks ....

hankaye

Harley76
02-10-2012, 07:14 AM
PM sent

Great link; Got my courisioty up about that 'Special' Sauce.
Please Pm particulars....

Thanks ....

hankaye[/QUOTE]

Harley76
02-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Nice to see a fellow Brethren on this site. I bought the Weber Q120 but what I really wanted was a mini Green Egg (still might get one). My LXbge is not a mobile smoker. I did check several CGs and many do not allow charcoal grills. To much of a fire hazard. SO the Q will do nice for what I what and need.

Jerry

I would love to have a mini too, we're snowbirding it down in Gulf Shores this winter at the state park, a guy two sites down from me has a mini and loves it :thumbsup:

CincyGus
02-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Done a lot of research on "users review" reading on small gas BBQ grills and I'm pretty sure I'm settled on the Weber. As mentioned before, I saw a lot of complaints about the coleman being difficult to clean well and that was a positive with the webers due to their curved cast aluminum bottom sections. That and I just like the idea of a cast aluminum grill body. Had a few steel ones and they always rust at some point, depending on care given.

I just havn't decided on the 100 or the 200 yet. The minority of the time, it's just my wife and daughter. The majority of the time we camp, we have others joining us at a ajoining campsite and usually setup one cooking area for the group. With the new camper and the 15' awning, I'm pretty sure CincyGus's campsite will quickly become the place to hang out. Therefore, the bigger 200 is likely where I'm headed. My 238ML comes with a low pressure line and a RVQ grill but if it's like most of the RV cooking appliances I've used in the past, I'm thinking I prob not going to be happy with the heat or flame output. We'll see. thats the only reason I have not jumped and bought one yet.

Festus2
02-16-2012, 10:10 AM
In addition to our Weber 100, we (or I) just received one more portable BBQ - the Cobb. You won't see too many of these around but they are quite versatile little devils. You can, of course, grill but also fry, roast, smoke and bake using the various accessories that can be purchased either from Cobb or from a kitchen retail store. It is both small and compact and uses charcoal as its source of fuel. This can either be looked upon as a positive or negative as charcoal cooking has its benefits and disadvantages.
The Cobb originated in South Africa and, over the years, developed into what it has become today.
It is a bit pricey and the cleanup afterwards is a bit messier and takes longer than the Weber or other propane/gas BBQ's to cook.
We haven't tried it out yet but will do so at home before we head out when the weather improves.
If anyone wants to find out more information about it, go to this site:
www.cobbamerica.com
I'll submit an evaluation and write-up of the Cobb after it is "field tested".

hankpage
02-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Festus2, I made the mistake of watching the videos on the Cobb website on an empty stomach. I'm thinking you should be testing it out this weekend and giving us a report ASAP. Wait till Sunday .... it will take me that long to get there. :D Very impressive and compact, Hank