PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Monoxide Detector

Shelbs
01-16-2012, 12:04 PM
So our new Passport is equipped with an Atwood carbon monoxide detector model 900-0143. My first official complaint about this new rig is that it's a pain in the butt to replace the batteries on this C-O detector.... But I digress.

Yesterday afternoon I happened to walk by the camper and heard the chirp, one beep per 30 seconds. So I wint in, took it off the wall and replaced the batteries with 3 brand new AA's. No more beeping so I put it back on the wall and went back to watching the Packers get their tails handed to them.

So today I am out at the camper putting some stuff away and I hear it beeping... Again!!!! So I obviously took it down and pulled the batteries. It is probably worth noting two things: This is a brand new camper... Never camped in. It just came home last week. The other is that it's about 27*F outside and the temp dropped to near zero overnight.

So my question to you: A) batteries getting killed by the cold? B) just too darned cold for this detector to operate properly? C) this particular carbon monoxide detector is a piece of crap and I should get a new one? Or D) there is something else going on that I am not thinking about?

Any thoughts or ideas are welcomed and appreciated!!

hankpage
01-16-2012, 12:22 PM
So our new Passport is equipped with an Atwood carbon monoxide detector model 900-0143. My first official complaint about this new rig is that it's a pain in the butt to replace the batteries on this C-O detector.... But I digress.

Yesterday afternoon I happened to walk by the camper and heard the chirp, one beep per 30 seconds. So I wint in, took it off the wall and replaced the batteries with 3 brand new AA's. No more beeping so I put it back on the wall and went back to watching the Packers get their tails handed to them.

So today I am out at the camper putting some stuff away and I hear it beeping... Again!!!! So I obviously took it down and pulled the batteries. It is probably worth noting two things: This is a brand new camper... Never camped in. It just came home last week. The other is that it's about 27*F outside and the temp dropped to near zero overnight.

So my question to you: A) batteries getting killed by the cold? B) just too darned cold for this detector to operate properly? C) this particular carbon monoxide detector is a piece of crap and I should get a new one? Or D) there is something else going on that I am not thinking about?

You forgot the "All of the above" option. I would wait for warmer weather and give it another try. I have a smoke detector in the unheated attic of my stick home that does not like the bitter cold either. Drives me NUTS at 2 in the morning. I went to a lithium battery and so far so good.
Your LP gas detector will also chirp if your coach battery is low. This is common on new units that have sat on dealers lots for a while with battery connected. JM2¢, Hank

Mobile Motel
02-09-2012, 08:57 PM

Mine is doing the same thing......second set of batteries in 2 weeks. Took it in the house and the same thing......piece of poop!!

86GT2r
02-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Regular alkaline batteries don't work well in the cold. Replace them with lithium batteries. Otherwise just remove them until the weather turns warmer.
Good luck with your new RV!

AlCorr
01-30-2013, 12:15 PM
I've been having the same problem and the temperature is 56* today. I pulled the new batteries, (that I replaced 2 days ago, Duracell's) and opened all the doors, vents and windows. I just closed it up and replaced the batteries, no more beep so far.
My question is as I was putting the batteries back I noticed it said on the battery door: 4 beeps to move to fresh air, 1 beep see manual. I can't locate my manual, could anyone tell me what 1 beeps means, why doesn't it say: 1 beep change batters? Does the manual say to use lithium batteries in the winter, it didn't come with them?

ThePressureIsOn
02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
You and I have the same model trailer so I'm assuming we have the same BRK model CO detector. The manual says when it chirps once every minute to replace the battery with an alkaline battery. Three chirps every minute means malfunction and/or end of life of detector.

AlCorr
02-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the reply. It's been a couple of days now and no beeps. One thing, before I opened everything up, and air the trailer out, it smelled like formaldehyde in there, mostly in the bed area, where the alarm is, it doesn't smell as formaldehyde in there now, the trailer been closed up for a couple of months before this started. :banghead:I'm lost here.:banghead:

BruLaz
02-02-2013, 05:07 AM
One thing, before I opened everything up, and air the trailer out, it smelled like formaldehyde in there, mostly in the bed area, where the alarm is, it doesn't smell as formaldehyde in there now, the trailer been closed up for a couple of months before this started.

This used to happen all the time in our trailer with a combination CO/propane monitor. Apparently the monitors are sensitive to all sorts of off-gases, cleaning fluids and so on. We disconnect during storage and make sure a window is open near it when camping.