PDA

View Full Version : Booster for an air card?

antiqfreq
11-03-2009, 07:17 AM
We just got a Verizon air card for traveling and was wondering IF
we may at some point, depending on signal strength, if we might
have a need for a booster antenna........

Does anyone know anything about this?

At the campground we are at now, we have 3 out of 4 bars.....
but if we go out west we may find 1-2 bars.....so what can I do
to strengthen our signal?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Jo:)

Raptor3712
03-24-2010, 01:38 PM
I've been thinking of this too but so far with Sprint usb air card have not had many 'dead spots'. Newegg.com has a few. I was looking at this one but then again, haven't had the need...yet.

http://www.global.level1.com/product_d.php?id=536

kevin
03-31-2010, 05:22 AM
I have an external antenna that plugs into my card. seems to really help. Verizon setup.

Seann
05-17-2010, 07:33 AM
The external antennas are GREAT... BUT... when you plug them in you loose any warranty on the air card.

mevans0486
09-07-2010, 03:49 PM
I know this is an old post, but if there is still the need, you could try this guy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875997034. It is a little over priced but the equipment that comes with it should be worth it. It could also be run through the existing wiring in the camper, to simplify the setup. One of the co-workers has used a unit similar to this, just a lot less powerful, to acquire a signal for cellular internet. This setup includes a much more powerful antenna, as long as you are not in a canyon, you should be able to acquire a signal.

CWtheMan
10-02-2010, 04:47 PM
We travel with 1 ea laptop and computers. This past year we upgraded our Verizon card from a USB-720 to the newer MiFi for added coverage. Because the desktop computer did not come equipped with a WiFi modem I purchased a USB operated Linksys WiFi modem from Walmart. It has a booster and allows me to get much stronger signals from WiFi outlets close by but weak.

CW