PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor kitchen question

KO-in-WYO
12-22-2011, 01:24 PM
My wife and I are looking at Cougar Xlite TT's and we are stuck on which floor plan we like best. My question is addressed to those who have an outdoor kitchen on their TT.

How much do you use it, and is it essential to have the large outdoor kitchen or would the smaller one with just a shelf, small sink, burners, and a half fridge work just fine?

The models we are stuck on are the 28rbs (love the double bed bunks, but there is NO outdoor kitchen), the 31SQB (we really like the back room layout, but it has a fairly small outdoor kitchen), or the 29RBK (we like the big outdoor kitchen, but the bunk area is our least favorite).

If the outdoor kitchen is hardly ever used, or not that practical to use, then I'm thinking we'll go with the 28rbs, but if it's something that we would really enjoy using, then I guess we need help deciding if it's worth the less desirable bunk layout to have the larger one, or if we could compromise and be happy with the smaller kitchen found on the 31SQB?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

jason
12-22-2011, 02:00 PM
We have a Laredo 291TG, we use the outdoor kitchen all the time. I don’t think we have ever cooked inside.

DTJ9610
12-22-2011, 02:05 PM
We have the Laredo 303TG. My initial thought was that the kitchen would just be a perk. I originally wanted the extra storage. However now that we have spent a season in it I couldn't see doing without it. The sink comes in handy for the kids to do a quick wash, the burner is great for cooking and not having to worry about any grease spasing or smelling up the inside. The fridge is also great for the kids to grab their drinks (as well as the adults). We also have the grill attachment which is great too.

5forcamping
12-22-2011, 02:57 PM
outdoor kitchen is awesome! we dont bring ice coolers anymore since we can put all our drinks in outdoor fridge. the sink is great to have for lots of reasons. we also have the grill attachment which is a must for us. the other advantage of the bigger kitchen is the big door that doubles an an awning when open. the only thing i am going to change is the nice cabinets that i dont really use. will put a nice flat screen tv at some point.

Pete and Jeanne
12-23-2011, 06:51 AM
Once had a high wall PU with outside kitchen..don't believe we EVER used the oven inside..Our's didn't have a fridge so, if you do, that's a perk..heck yeah..go for it !!

Jay D
12-23-2011, 09:34 AM
The only thing I do not like about my outside kitchen is the fridge only runs on 110v. Other than that it is great.

SLIMSHADIE
12-23-2011, 10:34 AM
They only thing I dont like is the 110v only fridge, but that being said we always cool our drinks down a day before. Drove 6 hours one time and it went from 40 to 45 degrees. We keep our drinks in the outside and mostly food on the inside. Gives you more room, also keeps the kids outside. Never had to use ice in 2 years. Hardly cook inside, keeps the mess outside. Use the sink all the time to wash hands, water for the dog, rinse stuff off.

When you get camp setup, flip the door open and wala. Also if it starts raining flip the door down, in seconds.

My next camper also "HAS TO HAVE AN OUTSIDE KITCHEN," again.

I have two kids with 3 bunks, its perfect for us.

Jay D
12-23-2011, 11:04 AM
I will be looking at getting a grill that I can mount to the rear bumper (Laredo has it I think) This way I have the 2 burner stove to the right and the grill to the left of the kitchen.

SLIMSHADIE
12-23-2011, 02:32 PM
I added mine cause they didnt have them for 2010 models. It was easy to install plus I picked the grill I wanted.

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=863&highlight=grill

To be honest I only have used the grill once in 2 years.

This is what i use and it works perfect. All my friends have them now and its cheap, if you like cooking over the fire. Completely adjustable, up/down, grill can rotate while also swings out of the fire.

http://www.kotulas.com/deals/bobaque-360-swivel-outdoor-grill

chuck&gail
12-23-2011, 05:53 PM
Ours has an outdoor kitchen. Never used it yet, and I doubt we ever will. Your choice.

SLIMSHADIE
12-23-2011, 08:03 PM
The pullout camp kitchen on the outbacks would be useless in my opinoin. My buddie has one and doesnt use it. I think there is a hose for the sink drain to empty to the ground if I recall.

Now the full outside kitchen from experience is another story.

2 outlets-debating a toaster oven next year. Hot/cold sink with drain to tanks. 2 burner stove-use all the time. Grill-used once. Fridge thats 110v,
not only do I keep all my beer,soda,water outside without ice.
I have the following sometimes secondary inside:
silverware, spatulas, other cooking utinsels, cutting board, filet knife, multiscrewdriver, cards, notepads, pens, nail clippers, swiss army knife, lighters, bottle opener, can opener, paper towels, fantastik & windex, dawn, pump hand soap, salt/pepper, lawery's, pnut oil, fish batter, napkins, drink stirrers, toothpicks, paper plates and bowls, flashlights and chargers, walkie talkies, crisco oil, cake mix and canned pie filling (cobbler), bbq utensils, dog bowl, treats and chain, cast iron skillet, aluminum foil, parchment paper, bar towels, huggies-can and bottle, ashtray, centranilla candle, matches, ziploc baggies, and red solo cups. To name a few...

No reason to go inside but to sleep and shower. :rofl:

DEW
12-27-2011, 07:09 AM
The full outdoor kitchen was a must for me. We always have cooked outside and now to have everything you need right in front of you is perfect. Besides the 'door' acts as a great awing if it is raining too.
It is especially nice to be able to wash up or grab drink on the fly.... no need to enter the trailer during the day.

I know this feature is getting common but I sure did get a lot of 'lookers' this season and I do say they all loved the idea too. :thumbsup:

muddynoll
12-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Have friends that have one.They like it, and it is very nice, but we have seen it very difficult to use when their site was not level.If your camper sits high to begin with ,the kitchen will be very hard to reach if the camp site slopes away from the camper. We use a portable kitchen set up that fits under the awning. We also use it to build a larger kitchen area for cooking when we are camping with a large group of friends. It is usualy set up with another portable kitchen, near the camper with the outdoor kitchen and it works well. Both have their pros and cons. Go with what fits your needs the best.

CampingNut18
12-29-2011, 12:04 PM
We have the Laredo 303TG. My initial thought was that the kitchen would just be a perk. I originally wanted the extra storage. However now that we have spent a season in it I couldn't see doing without it. The sink comes in handy for the kids to do a quick wash, the burner is great for cooking and not having to worry about any grease spasing or smelling up the inside. The fridge is also great for the kids to grab their drinks (as well as the adults). We also have the grill attachment which is great too.

We also thought that the outdoor kitchen might just be a marketing tactic or something else to maintain and clean but it has proved very handy. We don't have a sink but love the storage and even small tv. Having the outdoor kitchen really cuts down on the 'step aerobics' in and out of the camper for all the stuff we need to cook. Luv it!

Carmen

michol02
12-29-2011, 05:48 PM
I had an outdoor kitchen on my last camper. I mostly used the sink and the frig., so when I started missing these things, I decided to add them to my new unit. I bought a 18 gal utility sink that I hook up where the outdoor shower went(faucet has pull-out head, so I didn't lose the use of my shower), and I put a small frig. under the computer desk.
So, if you find a unit you really love without all the stuff you want on it, you can always just Mod the crap out of it. LOL

Flyguy
12-30-2011, 05:33 AM
Outside kitchens are a nice feature to have but in the past I've heard a lot about the flimsy way the gas struts attached to the opening door. When you go to look at it, open and close the overhead door and pay attention to the strut mounts to that door. If they flex in a bad way I would guess that it would tear out of the door sooner or later. Maybe they have improved the mount now but on the ones that we looked at it just bolted through a piece of foam board with a thin layer of aluminum on both sides.

DEW
01-01-2012, 09:09 AM
True, I had issues with the struts on the door. It was replaced with a new door that has more support built in. It worked perfect all summer long after breaking on the first rip out.
What needs to be seen is will it last next year too?

Bruins#17
01-14-2012, 03:34 PM
We love to cook outside. The outdoor kitchen was the main reason we selected the Laredo 303tg.

DTJ9610
01-17-2012, 07:32 AM
One thing to keep in mind if your not hooked up to sewer is that the outdoor kitchen sink on some of the models drains into your black tank. I found this out the hard way on my 303TG when one of the kids left the water running.

skifreak76
01-17-2012, 04:27 PM
i have a sprinter tt 311bhs with a large outdoor kitchen and we use it all the time. and we have plent.y of bunks in side. it is a trailer we love

happytrails
06-25-2012, 08:05 AM
The 31SQB kitchen is a smaller one. It has a sink with hot/cold faucet, but no drain!!! The refridgerator is SMALL and to tell you the truth we thought we would never want to use one so we opted for this small kitchen only because we liked the bunk area for the kids. That being said, I wish like heck that we had gotten a bigger kitchen!! If you're going to get one, do it right and get the bigger one. I am envious of all those that park around me and have the bigger ones. They offer so much more room and a dawg gone drain for the sink would sure be nice! Either do it right or don't do it all. If you go half way like we did, you will likely regret it.

snow
06-25-2012, 10:19 AM
The outside is great last time camping we made breakfast out side while watching good morning america ha, ha 🚃♨⛄🐔

phenrichs
06-25-2012, 11:01 AM
unless it is a huge downpour the only meal getting cooked inside is breakfast.

Timberghost
06-25-2012, 06:42 PM
We got our 2012 Laredo 303TG at the end of March and I LOVE the outdoor kitchen. The only thing that I have noticed is that because of it... I am hardly ever inside the camper! The wife has used the oven a few times and the microwave also, but the indoor stove has not seen any use yet. It is especially nice to be able to cook outside when it's hot, makes it stay nice and cool inside with the AC on. At least that's what the wife says, since I am barely allowed inside anymore.:eek:

Ram Hemi
06-25-2012, 07:01 PM
We have only been out once since we bought ours but loved the outdoor kitchen. Would be nice to have propane frig but sure kept alot of mess outside and foot traffic. Large door was nice to have overhead as well. Now just need to find pans/ griddle to fit the two burner swing out stove a bit better.

ls1mike
06-25-2012, 07:30 PM
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/1760/img1802eu.jpg
By ls1moparturbo (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/ls1moparturbo) at 2012-05-24
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/7188/img1803e.jpg
By ls1moparturbo (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/ls1moparturbo) at 2012-05-24
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4084/img1806pl.jpg
Mine is like a half kitchen. I have had the rig out 3 times and have used it every time. Love I can get my beverages without going inside. It also has its own electric awing. It keeps you nice and dry.

fireidiot
06-25-2012, 08:30 PM
I love ours. Now that we have it, I'll never have another camper without it. We have been doing most of the cooking outside. It's a bummer to have a 110 fridge, but oh well. My only complaint is that the BBQ grill hose doesn't completely reach around to the kitchen, but I'm going to buy a longer one since Keystone is being goofy about it.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-daiG5lshR3Q/T-k54XXKzAI/AAAAAAAAAZE/GNrfMGv0kcw/s640/12%252023%253A26%253A01.jpg

happytrails
06-26-2012, 12:47 AM
Mine is like a half kitchen. I have had the rig out 3 times and have used it every time. Love I can get my beverages without going inside. It also has its own electric awing. It keeps you nice and dry.

Mine is exactly like yours….. except NO AWNING!!!! Wow!! :banghead:

I gotta ask though. Do you ever wonder why they didn't just go ahead and make a drain for that sink?

Festus2
06-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Paul --
If you keep banging your head in frustration :banghead: about your outdoor kitchen (no drain in sink, no awning) and now your "crappy brake controller", you are going to end up with one BIG headache !
And besides, you are getting close to using up your quota of the banging head smilie! :rofl:

ls1mike
06-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Mine is exactly like yours….. except NO AWNING!!!! Wow!! :banghead:

I gotta ask though. Do you ever wonder why they didn't just go ahead and make a drain for that sink?

I guess they figure you will just have gray water back there...Lets hope so!
It would be nice to have a drain.
I love the awing. It is covers all of the kitchen plus the bathroom door.

happytrails
06-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Paul --
If you keep banging your head in frustration :banghead: about your outdoor kitchen (no drain in sink, no awning) and now your "crappy brake controller", you are going to end up with one BIG headache !
And besides, you are getting close to using up your quota of the banging head smilie! :rofl:

Yeah, I hear ya. I will say, even with all the head banging and headaches, I do still enjoy my camper!!!! :bdance:I just like to emphasize the small things that are wrong hoping that someone can/will learn from my mistakes or oversights.

I will try to keep them to a minimum.:D

snow
06-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Just purchased a 2013 31bhpr bullet premier with a outdoor kitchen we have used it every day our first trip it also has a television that flips to the bunk house from the outdoor kitchen which is vary nice , the only con is about a 1/2 gap between the tv and the cabinet it's in but that's ok I just shut the door for the kitchen at night anyway no big deal check it out on the keystone web site (tx):rofl:

jbzwart713
07-05-2012, 05:34 AM
Just purchased a Cougar X-Lite 29RBK. Had it out twice and absolutely love the outdoor kitchen. Have not cooked a meal inside yet.

happytrails
07-05-2012, 05:46 AM
Just purchased a Cougar X-Lite 29RBK. Had it out twice and absolutely love the outdoor kitchen. Have not cooked a meal inside yet.

:banghead::mad::bm:(tx)

fireidiot
07-05-2012, 06:47 AM

I used the inside kitchen once. I baked some biscuits in the oven.....as usual the bottoms got really browned.

flybouy
07-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Love the odk, last unit I would carry a Coleman road trip grill, set that beast up every trip, break it back down, change from grill to griddle to pot top depending on what the dw wanted to cook. Lugged ice chests around, and a big plastic tote with plastic ware, plates, cups, utensils. And with several neck fusions over the years it literal was a pain in the neck.

Now none of that! The sink does drain in the black tank but turn the water on full when dumping and it helps clean the tank. I did take the grill that came with it and throw it in the garage. Bought an Olympian stainless steel grill and love it.

spak1270
07-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Have a Sprinter 311BHS. Used our inside kitchen twice due to poor weather. Really like the outdoor kitchen for all our drinks, sink for quick washes, and stove for cooking breakfast outside. Keeps the grease smell out of the camper. I would not go with out and will have one in our next one.

randy69
07-10-2012, 10:38 PM
I have a toyhauler and no out door kitchen. But while camping I'am always the cook. I use a foldup table coleman stove. The beacon and sasuage splatters every where. Use the BBQ for steaks or Rancha meat for tacos. The only thing that we have used in the trailer is the microwave. and the oven for brownies. The point is no grease to clean up no foul oders. My spelling is bad just bear with me. :p The coleman stove has the small tanks, The BBQ works off my quick disconnect and the trailer regulator. I use a 25' high pressure hose just for safety.

happytrails
07-11-2012, 05:38 AM
Bought an Olympian stainless steel grill and love it.

Does that one connect to your camper's gas line? I was wondering about the ones that do and if the low pressure was an issue on those like the RVQ's that come with the TT and the outdoor kitchen stove (at least my ODK stove is weak flame).

Laredo291OH
07-11-2012, 07:38 AM
I have a 2011 291TG with outdoor kitchen. We use it almost exclusively. My camper also came with the factory BBQ grill and mount. Only used the factory grill 1 time, had more than an hour tryin to cook 4 hamburgers. Then bought the Olympian Stainless grill. It connects right to the quick connect gas line, mounts right to the factory mount and works great. Stores nicely in outside storage in the back on the left side. Only issue with the grill is the spark ignitor has never worked and according to most reviews I have read it never does. Just keep one of those wind proof extended lighters in the drawer, need it for the 2 burner cooktop anyway.

happytrails
07-11-2012, 02:17 PM
@Laredo291OH

Thanks for the information!

x96mnn
07-17-2012, 06:33 AM
Just bought a 266RBS with the full outdoor kitchen and have only made one trip but 100% of the cooking was completed outside. This was something much like yourself did we want bunks or a kitchen and because we have no children took the kitchen and very glad we did. If you are able to go with the longer camper that offers both do it would be my advice!

ADJ423
08-15-2012, 02:13 AM
We love the outdoor kitchen on our Springdale. That was the selling point for me and have not regretted it.

oldfireman47
09-24-2012, 08:34 PM
We have an outside kitchen and we love it. We added a Dometic ice machine that we keep in the outside kitchen also. We never have to worry about buying ice again and most all of our cooking and tailgating is done outside at the kitchen. Don't know what we ever did without it...

fireidiot
09-24-2012, 09:00 PM
We have an outside kitchen and we love it. We added a Dometic ice machine that we keep in the outside kitchen also. We never have to worry about buying ice again and most all of our cooking and tailgating is done outside at the kitchen. Don't know what we ever did without it...

What size water tank are you using for an ice maker? I would love to have one, but I don't have a very large tank.

kebm
01-22-2013, 05:32 PM
I love ours. Now that we have it, I'll never have another camper without it. We have been doing most of the cooking outside. It's a bummer to have a 110 fridge, but oh well. My only complaint is that the BBQ grill hose doesn't completely reach around to the kitchen, but I'm going to buy a longer one since Keystone is being goofy about it.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-daiG5lshR3Q/T-k54XXKzAI/AAAAAAAAAZE/GNrfMGv0kcw/s640/12%252023%253A26%253A01.jpg

We have the same kitchen in our 312bh. I did not like having to empty the fridge for travel, so I am adding an inverter to power the 110v fridge. The truck will keep the camper's battery charged while travelling, and adding a second battery to the camper should be enough power for a weekend of dry camping. And with the inverter, we will have 110v power for other things.

fireidiot
01-22-2013, 06:40 PM
We have the same kitchen in our 312bh. I did not like having to empty the fridge for travel, so I am adding an inverter to power the 110v fridge. The truck will keep the camper's battery charged while travelling, and adding a second battery to the camper should be enough power for a weekend of dry camping. And with the inverter, we will have 110v power for other things.

Where are you mounting the inverter and how big of one are you using. I thought about it, but I was concerned about all the bouncing around while the fridge was running.

kimmcohen
02-27-2013, 01:50 AM
We have a 2012 Sundance 3300CK with an outside kitchen with what I would assume is the same Danby fridge. I can't say that I've ever had your issues with mine. Seems to always work fine.

wincrasher
02-27-2013, 04:56 AM
We have a Sunset Trail 25RB we use for family trips. Can't imagine not having an outside kitchen on a family style camper.

Ours has the sink, fridge, couple drawers, a wee bit of counter space and a place for a TV. The grill is bumper attached.

We use it all - great for the kids to have the drinks in the outside fridge (beer too for the oldies).

The TV outside in this compartment is an idea I hadn't thought we'd use - but it was really nice to have the game on while we were cookin', chattin' and drinkin' - bonus is it's shaded from the sun.

Don't like the idea of a cooktop in these things though. I like some choice where I put my heat, so I have a camp stove with a portable table/workstation for that.

Badboy
02-27-2013, 11:51 AM
I miss my outdoor kitchen,we had a 30 ft Outback that had the outdoor kitchen an we loved it,my Cougar 31 RKS dose not have the outdoor kitchen and i do miss it.:(

tribalsimba
03-21-2013, 06:51 AM
We keep so much heat, traffic, dirt, mess out of the unit with the outside kitchen. The big cabinet and fridges on my 303TG make it much easeir to plan the packing process, to keep the food we use outside, outside so we're not back and forth.

My kids wash their hands freqently outside. BONUS!!

We love that the outside sink drains to the black tank, keeps the tank from being all solids, so it flushes out cleaner. I also drain the hot water into the black tank through the outside kitchen before the last dump before hitting the road. Cleans it out really well.

We don't often use coolers anymore, because of our outside fridge (beer/pop/condiments/etc..). Even though it's 110V only, if we kept it shut while on the road; everything keeps pretty cool for a pretty long time, and we just plug back in when we get home.

In now our third season, for the most part, we pack it in the spring, and re-stock enroute to our destinations every weekend. It's so much easier than pack/unpack, moving things around to fit everything, etc.. as we were used to when we had only one fridge, and not as much cabinet space.

aclay
03-25-2013, 02:46 PM
We have a Sprinter 311, and we just had our third outing in it. The outside kitchen is fantastic. We plan on going with small groups (most of my wife's family are RV'ers). The outside kitchen is great for "hosting" at night, we make coffee and wash hands, etc, etc. We keep drinks outside for the kids and some adult beverages. It's just very, very convenient. I'm not sure I would give it up.

jannereeves
05-23-2013, 04:51 AM
We keep so much heat, traffic, dirt, mess out of the unit with the outside kitchen. The big cabinet and fridges on my 303TG make it much easeir to plan the packing process, to keep the food we use outside, outside so we're not back and forth.

My kids wash their hands freqently outside. BONUS!!

We love that the outside sink drains to the black tank, keeps the tank from being all solids, so it flushes out cleaner. I also drain the hot water into the black tank through the outside kitchen before the last dump before hitting the road. Cleans it out really well.

We don't often use coolers anymore, because of our outside fridge (beer/pop/condiments/etc..). Even though it's 110V only, if we kept it shut while on the road; everything keeps pretty cool for a pretty long time, and we just plug back in when we get home.

In now our third season, for the most part, we pack it in the spring, and re-stock enroute to our destinations every weekend. It's so much easier than pack/unpack, moving things around to fit everything, etc.. as we were used to when we had only one fridge, and not as much cabinet space.

We are planning for an outside kitchen, can you please post an image of yours??

labs4life
05-23-2013, 05:18 AM
Here is mine in a Sprinter 311bhs. I will not have another camper without one!!

Bob Landry
05-23-2013, 05:29 AM
This like asking "What's the best _________?" You are going to get a variety of answers, all of them with personal opinions. The best thing is for you to personally decide which features YOU think you will like and pursue a floor plan accordingly.

aggiesailor
06-03-2013, 09:19 AM
We have a Laredo 291TG, we use the outdoor kitchen all the time. I don’t think we have ever cooked inside.

I think the outdoor kitchen is the best selling feature of the OUTBACK 312BH. It allows everyone to stay outside and spend time together. I have the outdoor kitchen has grill, burner and fridge and think its awesome!

Wesley:cool:

BigInIssaquah
06-04-2013, 08:56 AM
+1000 for the outdoor kitchen. We've only had our 303tg out once so far this season and I can't imagine not having it. We used the oven once to make some cinnamon rolls for breakfast and that was only because it was pouring rain outside and I didn't feel like cooking in the rain.

If it was up to me I would love an option of just deleting the oven/stove altogether for more counter space. As long as you have a microwave inside you can always get something cooked in a pinch if it's raining outside.

GaryWT
06-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Love the outside kitchen, 2nd camper with one. Use fridge for mostly drinks, cuts down on going inside. Also used while cooking etc., but we usually move all but drinks back to the inside fridge when we close up. Plug in when we get home and all is good.

rode2nowhere
06-04-2013, 03:12 PM
311bhs here with outdoor kitchen, curious what others with similar use for skillet/pan as the outdoor stove will not handle larger pots, pans, or skillet.(tx)

GaryWT
06-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Our last kitchen had no stove withit just the swing out location for the stove so we used a Coleman stove and griddle. The new one is smaller so the griddle does not fit well. We had down sized many pans and will probably get a smaller square griddle. When we need something more we have a Coleman griddle we can pull out.

labs4life
06-06-2013, 04:58 PM
311bhs here with outdoor kitchen, curious what others with similar use for skillet/pan as the outdoor stove will not handle larger pots, pans, or skillet.(tx)

I have the same camper and use a 10" skillet all the time on the stove. Also use an 8" deep stock pot. I typically use the left eye as it "seems" to have more room.
For big stuff, I have a collapsable gas burner with a 1lb tank quick connect for it. Best of both worlds. I have only used the portable burner once tho. Use the cooktop every trip!!

spak1270
06-06-2013, 06:43 PM
We have a 311BHS Sprinter. We love our outdoor kitchen and use it more than the indoor one. We never have to bring a cooler. Go for the bigger one you won't be disappointed.

ch-ta
06-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Love our full outdoor kitchen on ours. No more need to buy ice with the extra fridge. We rarely cook anything indoors, so in our case it makes sense to have. So nice having everything I need for grilling within reach. We could get by without the outdoor kitchen, but it sure is nice to have.

bigcitypopo
07-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Love my outdoor kitchen.... What a blessing. I "t"'d the quick connect gas fitting for the twin burners and my grill. It rocks kitchen storage is awesome.. Never go inside!

Bob Landry
07-04-2013, 02:20 AM
I went the other way. My Outback had the small kitchen with a sink that didn't drain and a two burner stove that wasn't big enough to cook on. I did away wit all of that and that space is the exact size to store the Camp Chef Weekender stove. I also use a Weber grill so I cn cook or grill outside and the flip down door makes a great work table

Randy_K
07-04-2013, 08:25 AM
we don't have a outdoor kitchen but our next TT will have it. We have never cooked on the stove or oven in the tt as of yet. We set up our old Coleman stove on the picnic table and use the bumper grill. Had the new TT for about 3 months and it still smells like a new trailer.:)

Happy wife , happy life :D

Randy

swan2125
07-04-2013, 04:45 PM
We only use the outdoor kitchen in our Laredo TT - why cook inside when I have it all outside and then no smell indoors. The only piece we use on the inside is the microwave - wish that was outside too!

farmboy44
07-05-2013, 11:18 AM
our current trailer doesn't have a outdoor kitchen but it will for sure be on the must have list for the next trailer."bouncey:

labs4life
07-05-2013, 01:38 PM
I have been really looking at 5ers and can't find what I am looking for. Our sprinter 311 has the outdoor kitchen and I would have to sacrifice something for a 5er....plus it would cost me money to trade. Think I am sticking with the TT for a while!!

numbnu7s
07-06-2013, 09:42 PM
I purchased a 2013 31sqbwe this year and have had it out 5 times so far. A few of the main selling points for us included the bunks and the outside kitchen. So far, out of the 5 trips I have used the outdoor kitchen every time.

Pros
Coffee pot in the morning (percolator, not instant) doesn't fog up the windows in the TT
Cooking outdoors is cool
Love to BBQ and this gives that the opportunity
Don't have to mess up the inside as much
Store extra beer outside, but... see con.

Cons
Lack of drain on the sink stinks. I might add a drain in to a 5 gal bucket. (You have to lift the sink out and empty it)
quick connect on the sink always spills water on to the kitchen island
Other outside kitchens are taller. The lid could be used as a rain shelter but not this one.
Every time you slide it out you have to connect the gas to the quick-connect underneath and it's a pain.

Possible Mods
I am contemplating pulling the fridge out and putting a storage unit in there for napkins, plasticwear, plates, etc. That would be more useful.
Replace the keyed lock with a combo lock.
Get an extra propane hose for the bbq. the one supplied doesn't give you flexibility.

There are a quite a few cons but I would not trade this option ever... it was a main selling point. I wish I had a bigger hatch cover that I could hide under if it was raining but we need all three bunks and the tradeoff was worth it.

Good luck in the decision making!

bigcitypopo
07-07-2013, 10:11 AM
I guess my Springdale 294 is diff.. The sink is plumbed to grey water, there is storage and all.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_85964_0_5714ea40256266046bd7c39f2238849d.jpg

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_85964_1_e45f14f2b01f0ac6f6c8d8c344db57ed.jpg

labs4life
07-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Yep...same set up as my Sprinter 3113580

TandE
07-07-2013, 12:15 PM
His only has the half outdoor kitchen I believe. Where as yours an also the cougar 32rbk and others have the full outdoor kitchen with a door that acts as an awning when up. While the 32rbk doesn't have 3 bunks it does have 2 with the j cube sofa so a place for three people.

suza
07-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Our 279RKS doesn't have an outside kitchen and I don't wish we had one.

1) We have a small, portable grill when we choose to cook outdoors. I like the flexibility you get by being able to put the grill in a convenient place and I get my exercise going in and out of the RV to the fridge, etc. I have a large tray for carrying things when we cook outdoors.
2) We are retired and like to camp in the off-season when outdoor cooking is not always desirable.
3) Many of our campgrounds have outdoor grills in the sites.
4) I prepare a lot of food prior to our trip
5) IMO, an outdoor kitchen is another thing to: secure when breaking camp, maintain, clean, breakdown, etc.

I guess it all depends on your camping style and how you cook on the road.

bigcitypopo
07-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Yep...same set up as my Sprinter 3113580

What grill do you on that bumper of that rig... Way cool!

labs4life
07-08-2013, 05:28 PM
What grill do you on that bumper of that rig... Way cool!

It is an Aussie that came with the camper. Not the best, but the steaks have yet to complain!!! :)

GaryWT
07-09-2013, 08:23 PM
I have probably said this earlier but we love the outside kitchen. We do all our cooking outside. It make set up and breakdown so easy as you have this great stace foe storage. Like to put on the news when making the coffee and breakfast. I know it is not for everyone but it sure works for us.

vportelli1
07-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Our Cougar 29RBK has an outdoor kitchen and we use it all the time. The most important feature about it, to me, is the outdoor fridge cools down much faster than the inside fridge. Makes transferring stuff from the cooler more convenient.

Tgribb6
07-10-2013, 07:50 PM
My wife and I are looking at Cougar Xlite TT's and we are stuck on which floor plan we like best. My question is addressed to those who have an outdoor kitchen on their TT.

How much do you use it, and is it essential to have the large outdoor kitchen or would the smaller one with just a shelf, small sink, burners, and a half fridge work just fine?

The models we are stuck on are the 28rbs (love the double bed bunks, but there is NO outdoor kitchen), the 31SQB (we really like the back room layout, but it has a fairly small outdoor kitchen), or the 29RBK (we like the big outdoor kitchen, but the bunk area is our least favorite).

If the outdoor kitchen is hardly ever used, or not that practical to use, then I'm thinking we'll go with the 28rbs, but if it's something that we would really enjoy using, then I guess we need help deciding if it's worth the less desirable bunk layout to have the larger one, or if we could compromise and be happy with the smaller kitchen found on the 31SQB?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

We love the outdoor kitchen and absolutely recommend it. We also were unsure if we would use it much but it has become the best part of the trailer believe it or not....

robo
07-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Here is our setup just rite

MacinAfgn
08-07-2013, 10:48 AM
We're a month into owning our 28rbs and opted for the bunks over the outdoor kitchen. We really don't use the I door kitchen and an outdoor would be nice. For now, we use the outdoor grill which suits us just fine. The boys love the spacious bunks on the 28rbs.

Rescue16
08-16-2013, 05:37 AM
Really all in all I love it. Keeps the mess out of the inside of the RV on my 32RBK. The only hate part I have is the DW stated if it is cooked in side she will do it if it is cooked outside it is my responsibility. Lord I have beeen doing alot of cooking lately!!

Just remember when you are washing dishes using the ODK sink, that you are filling the Black water tank instead of the Grey water tank on the 32RBK at least.

So nice to have everything outside so no smells in the RV either. Putting in a small 19" TV so I can watch the game or race while I am cooking up some Steak and Lobstah!!

Bottom line I really think the Out door kitchen is worth the price of admission and am really happy we have it besides I end up cooking all the time!!

:party:

audio1der
08-16-2013, 05:54 AM
Even the tiny outdoor kitchen on our 3220 has seen 99% of our cooking while camping. Other than coffee and toast in the mornings, it's ALL cooked outside. SO glad we have one, highly recommended.

GaryWT
08-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Currently siting at the outside kitchen watching a movie and deciding when to start cooking dinner...

labs4life
08-17-2013, 03:22 PM
I am standing in my outdoor kitchen, listening to country music and waiting on the DW to get ready for dinner. Kids are screaming at the moment! I think I should go inside!!!!

Campin4four
08-18-2013, 06:17 PM
We camp in a 29RBK. The bunks are great for the kids. Te outdoor kitchen is great, we never buy ice for drinks, nice to have coffee pot outside in the morning to not wake the kids.

HawkeyePLS
08-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Laredo 291TG, outdoor kitchen...the feature that draws the most positive feedback from others, and we happen to agree!!

mcbarbee
08-28-2013, 08:46 AM
We have a new 2013 Passport Grand Touring with the BH and small outdoor kitchen. So far, I love it. We have taken it out twice and this weekend will be our third time.

We used it to boil corn and crab legs all outside. It's real hot in Texas and I couldn't think about cooking or putting the oven on now and heating the RV up more. It's handy to put away the salads and butter before it melts or bring them out early without having to go in and out. We have cooked all of our dinners outside, so far. I kind of forget I have the refrigerator. Next time I am going to put some water and soda in it before I leave and just plug it in when I get to my destination. Guess it doesn't work too well for traveling daily as you do have to have electric to use it. Haven't set up the sink yet but will do it this weekend. If you have more than two people traveling, this is the only way to do it.

labs4life
08-28-2013, 09:05 AM
We have a new 2013 Passport Grand Touring with the BH and small outdoor kitchen. So far, I love it. We have taken it out twice and this weekend will be our third time.

We used it to boil corn and crab legs all outside. It's real hot in Texas and I couldn't think about cooking or putting the oven on now and heating the RV up more. It's handy to put away the salads and butter before it melts or bring them out early without having to go in and out. We have cooked all of our dinners outside, so far. I kind of forget I have the refrigerator. Next time I am going to put some water and soda in it before I leave and just plug it in when I get to my destination. Guess it doesn't work too well for traveling daily as you do have to have electric to use it. Haven't set up the sink yet but will do it this weekend. If you have more than two people traveling, this is the only way to do it.

My fridge runs fine while traveling!! I installed a 1000w inverter and the frost never leaves the freezer. I got nice, cool, sody waters available as soon as the truck is in park. They help me get the trailer level!!

cajun4396
08-28-2013, 12:58 PM
We have the outdoor kitchen also and use it more than the inside... When grilling, frying seafood or just tailgating it really comes in handy to stay with your guests rather than be inside while they're outside. Our TT also has a tv that turns to the outside so we can watch games, videos, tv shows outside also... Great feature... Good luck!:D

kampinkentucky
08-31-2013, 07:03 PM
Ask the guys beside you building the fire to cook their morning bacon...we love ours...keeps the cabin fresh and no food odors. We have the cook top and the Aussie grill...the fridge is 110v but we typically power up a couple of hours before we head out. Fridge and contents stay cold and ready for use...leave the cooler at home. The additional cabinet space we store our outdoor amenities...table cloths, paper towels, candles, lights etc. it's was a must for us and its really nice to be able to stay social while cooking for the fame and friends.

robo
09-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Just remember it is not gray water till it is in the tank. Dish water can be dumped on the ground and not filling your tank

JRTJH
09-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Just remember it is not gray water till it is in the tank. Dish water can be dumped on the ground and not filling your tank

That used to be true, but more and more campgrounds are regulating even dishwater. In Michigan State Park Campgrounds, it is not "legal" to even throw dishwater into the bushes (not even if you're tent camping). Almost every private campground I've visited in the past 2 years has signs warning against dumping dishwater on the ground. They request using the "mop sink" located behind the bath house.

Might want to double check the rules where you camp just to be sure :)

GaryWT
09-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Once soap or a piece of food or something gets into fresh water it becomes gray water. The tank has nothing to do with it. That is also the issue with outside showers, it you use soap you are dumping gray water.

oldcow
03-26-2014, 07:29 AM
I have a 2011 291TG with outdoor kitchen. We use it almost exclusively. My camper also came with the factory BBQ grill and mount. Only used the factory grill 1 time, had more than an hour tryin to cook 4 hamburgers. Then bought the Olympian Stainless grill. It connects right to the quick connect gas line, mounts right to the factory mount and works great. Stores nicely in outside storage in the back on the left side. Only issue with the grill is the spark ignitor has never worked and according to most reviews I have read it never does. Just keep one of those wind proof extended lighters in the drawer, need it for the 2 burner cooktop anyway.

Did the bracket for attaching the grill to the rear bumper support come with the Olympian grill? We have the Outback 300rb and agree the OEM grill is terrible.

What about the propane stove, any suggestions on a better one?

Oldcow

Laredo291OH
03-26-2014, 09:34 AM
The grill comes with the mount shown in the picture in this link https://images3.campingworld.com/CampingWorld/images/products/3000/1000x1000/37764n.jpg The mount hooks over the top of the horizontal plate on the back of the camper. It folds down so it takes about 1/100th of the space that the factory grill mount took. You can also set in on a table top like shown in this picture http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/stores/auto/detail-page/B0014JN68O.02.lg.jpg

oldcow
03-26-2014, 02:59 PM
I added mine cause they didnt have them for 2010 models. It was easy to install plus I picked the grill I wanted.

This is what i use and it works perfect. All my friends have them now and its cheap, if you like cooking over the fire. Completely adjustable, up/down, grill can rotate while also swings out of the fire.

The grill comes with the mount shown in the picture in this link https://images3.campingworld.com/CampingWorld/images/products/3000/1000x1000/37764n.jpg The mount hooks over the top of the horizontal plate on the back of the camper. It folds down so it takes about 1/100th of the space that the factory grill mount took. You can also set in on a table top like shown in this picture http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/stores/auto/detail-page/B0014JN68O.02.lg.jpg

Thank you.
Oldcow

08quadram
03-27-2014, 06:38 PM
I purchased a 2013 31sqbwe this year and have had it out 5 times so far. A few of the main selling points for us included the bunks and the outside kitchen. So far, out of the 5 trips I have used the outdoor kitchen every time.

Pros
Coffee pot in the morning (percolator, not instant) doesn't fog up the windows in the TT I use a French press. I usually don't make it in time to shut it off before it starts whistling.
Cooking outdoors is cool. still do most over the fire
Love to BBQ and this gives that the opportunity
Don't have to mess up the inside as much
Store extra beer outside, but... see con.

Cons
Lack of drain on the sink stinks. I might add a drain in to a 5 gal bucket. (You have to lift the sink out and empty it)
quick connect on the sink always spills water on to the kitchen island I have found that when removing the flexible spout from the faucet, I hold my finger over the end of the spout when I remove it. Keeps the water from running all over the counter.
Other outside kitchens are taller. The lid could be used as a rain shelter but not this one.
Every time you slide it out you have to connect the gas to the quick-connect underneath and it's a pain.

Good luck in the decision making!

We have never even used or inside kitchen. I can go out and make my coffee without waking my DW and kids.

I have found that when removing the flexible spout from the faucet, I hold my finger over the end of the spout when I remove it. Keeps the water from running all over the counter.

I also sealed the raw edges of the laminate counter top where the sink sits. Water and MDF do not play well. Keeps it from swelling.

Mike
2013 2920bh
2008 RAM 1500 quad cab; 5.7 Hemi; 3.92's
DW; 2 offspring; 1 pooch

KJ266
04-21-2014, 07:05 PM
We have only had our Sprinter 266RBS out a couple of times so far, but really can't imagine NOT having an ODK. It's so much nicer cooking outdoors (when possible) and as many others have said, not leaving the mess and odor inside.
Have really enjoyed our RV as a whole, and cannot find anything to complain about.:)

GaryWT
04-22-2014, 09:04 AM
We have only had our Sprinter 266RBS out a couple of times so far, but really can't imagine NOT having an ODK. It's so much nicer cooking outdoors (when possible) and as many others have said, not leaving the mess and odor inside.
Have really enjoyed our RV as a whole, and cannot find anything to complain about.:)

Always nice when a plan comes together.

rode2nowhere
04-22-2014, 01:17 PM

Would love to see a good picture of that mount (tx)

SLIMSHADIE
04-24-2014, 06:50 AM
Rode here ya go

audio1der
04-24-2014, 11:22 AM
After a full season of camping, we have yet to use the indoor kitchen for anything but the fridge.
We would like to move down to a 27' trailer but they don't come with an outdoor kitchen, and I can't do without. It's THAT useful.
Size of the outdoor kitchen? Unsure how critical that is. Ours is the smaller and does very well. Larger would be nice, but not at the expense of the interior floorplan IMO.
Good luck deciding!

AM1958
04-24-2014, 12:25 PM
We picked up our first ever trailer last Tuesday... We are long time tenters but are aging a wee bit and have adopted a princess that is now seven so, to show her the outdoors, a TT it had to be.

I always cook dinner over an open fire while camping and had seen TT's with their outside kitchens. It was a "must have" on any trailer as far as I was concerned. When we saw the Bullet 31BHPR with the flash of genius that is the door to the toilet from the outside the deal was sealed.

We camped in it last weekend and the only thing that was cooked inside was the toast in the toaster... Next time out that's coming outside too... :D

GaryWT
04-24-2014, 01:54 PM
Have to love the 31bhpr. We actually saw a future trailer for us, an Outback with a rear bathroom, full outside kitchen and tons of storage over the kitchen in the bathroom. Hopefully the will still make it down the road.

rode2nowhere
04-24-2014, 04:08 PM
Rode here ya go

thanks, I can do that,,,,,

robo
04-26-2014, 02:58 AM
We have a small kitchen like the 31. We love it used indoor once just to try it out. We also have a table outside for the coffee and ect only time we are inside is if it is raining

gvansickle1
04-28-2014, 06:13 PM
We just picked up a new 2013 Laredo 303TG. Had rented several different units before purchasing this one. A couple had the small outside kitchen, one had the large. Loved the larger one; must have for me since I do most of the cooking when we're out. Huge selling point for me; can't imagine not having it. The small 2-burner is great for heating up sauces and frying eggs in the morning but the rear mounted grill is the work-horse for us. Don't have to worry about making a mess or heating up the inside. The fridge outside is also handy; cuts down considerably on the traffic in and out.

gtsum2
04-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Odk is a must have IMO especially with kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Dwighop
04-29-2014, 02:40 AM
Wish they were on toy haulers. I think I will miss that the most with the next upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrbdad
05-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Only had our Cougar for few day, but ours (outside kitchen) get really hot inside while fridge is on. Not sure why they don't have some sort of ventilation for it. Although it was over 90degrees this past weekend?
Anyone else experienced this?

08quadram
05-05-2014, 01:35 PM
I usually leave the door open or hanging to help with ventilation. It can get warm for sure.

HappyCamperMN
05-05-2014, 02:52 PM
Only had our Cougar for few day, but ours (outside kitchen) get really hot inside while fridge is on. Not sure why they don't have some sort of ventilation for it. Although it was over 90degrees this past weekend?
Anyone else experienced this?

That's a classic physics / thermodynamics problem...

Q - What happens to the temperature of the room if you leave a refrigerator running with the door open in a closed room.
A - The temperature rises because overall you are adding energy to the room.

LaTundra
12-23-2014, 07:13 AM
The counter top in my preloved 291tg had water damage. The estimate from the dealer was $1050 to replace it. $74 for the countertop. $173 for shipping and the rest was labor. WOW!
So I ordered the countertop and plan to replace it myself.:banghead:

SLIMSHADIE
12-23-2014, 05:31 PM
The countertop is definitely on the cheap side, not if but when I have to replace the top, it will be some kind of solid top. Maybe a stainless steel sink and new faucet too. The top definitely will be a b.... to replace.

GaryWT
12-23-2014, 06:05 PM
I had mine replaced last year under warranty. The job did not look too bad and did not take long. I stayed while they did it so maybe an hour and a half labor. The removed the fridge and sink. Pulled out the old, put in the new, sealed the edges and put the sink and fridge back in. Of course it looks easy as the dealer has most likely replaced a few.

robo
12-26-2014, 03:00 PM
The counter top in my preloved 291tg had water damage. The estimate from the dealer was $1050 to replace it. $74 for the countertop. $173 for shipping and the rest was labor. WOW!
So I ordered the countertop and plan to replace it myself.:banghead:

Make sure to seal the edges and wherever the top is cut with clear silicone

LaTundra
01-03-2015, 09:16 PM
I had mine replaced last year under warranty. The job did not look too bad and did not take long. I stayed while they did it so maybe an hour and a half labor. The removed the fridge and sink. Pulled out the old, put in the new, sealed the edges and put the sink and fridge back in. Of course it looks easy as the dealer has most likely replaced a few.

I was told the high labor was due to having to remove all of the cabinets.:banghead:

LaTundra
01-03-2015, 09:16 PM
Make sure to seal the edges and wherever the top is cut with clear silicone

Will do. Thanks

GaryWT
01-04-2015, 03:26 PM
With cabinets involved I can see where is would be longer.

LaTundra
01-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Took all day, but I got the cabinets and countertop out.
Tomorrow I will put the new countertop and replace the cabinets.
After some closer examination (and hindsight), I could have used some Elmer's glue and c-clamps to fix the delamination.:banghead:

JRTJH
01-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Then hang onto the old parts and if the new ones delaminate, you'll have a "spare" that's "glued and ready" :)

LaTundra
01-06-2015, 05:32 AM
Better still: DW wants a fold up extension for the inside kitchen counter.
The center section between the refer and sink is plenty big enough for that project.
:D

LaTundra
01-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Yesterday, I put in the new counter top, replaced the cabinets and sink.
Installed a new Moen faucet. And yes I put a bead of clear silicon around the sink and counter top.

Today, I cut a 23 x 23 piece off the old counter top and started working on making a counter top extension for the inside counter."bouncey:

jbrad01q
03-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Read through all these posts hoping for help with our outdoor kitchen frig. It is impossible to keep the door closed traveling so when you stop and open up the outdoor kitchen, everything that was in the frig is now on the ground. I have tried extension rods (which did not work). I saw in a couple of pictures where a strap was placed around the frig, unfortunately we don't have enough room around the back side of the frig to place a strap. We have a 2014 Mountaineer 356 bunkhouse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Would love to be able to use the frig going down the road!

GaryWT
03-03-2015, 09:00 PM
My first one had a strap that was screwed to the wall on each side, worked well. Our current one did not come with anything so I use Velcro to keep it closed. You do have to be careful when opening it up after traveling. We lay down most items and keep as much as possible on the door when we are on the road.

SLIMSHADIE
03-04-2015, 08:01 AM
Mine didn't come with a strap either and its right up against the back wall. After several attempts over the years, I settled on using command hooks, 2 pairs, with tarp bungees, and 1 long bungee. My door opens from the right, so I have a pair near the top right and near the bottom right. I took the small circle loop bungees and spaced the pair of hooks with a little tension. Finally took 1 long bungee from the lower right foot across to the upper left hinge. After 2/3 years they are still holding and hasn't popped open during transport and we fill the fridge up to the max the night before we leave. Still be carefull when opening.

Black fridge with white hooks don't look the best but maybe they have better looking hooks now.

cabinfever
03-04-2015, 01:17 PM
Yes, you do need to open carefully when you arrive at your destination. One thing we do that helps a lot is roll two large towels and put one on each shelf. Keeps things in better order. Since we started doing this nothing at least falls out when opening the door the first time, just need to straiten things up some.

Laredo291OH
03-04-2015, 01:26 PM
We use the extendable rods on each each shelf and also use velcro to keep the door shut.

LaTundra
03-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Had the same problem. I put a strip of self stick Velcro on the frig and on the door, top and bottom. I then used two regular pieces of velcro to "latch" the door.

Setterman05
06-03-2015, 08:57 AM
I have an outdoor kitchen on my 299BHSL. Didn't think I would use it much, my wife was set on getting it. We use it a lot. .... its great for cooking meat and things of that nature since it don't get that smell inside, extra fridge is great and the extra sink for kids to wash in ..... So glad wife had to have it.

LaTundra
06-03-2015, 09:43 AM
DW didn't think much of it at first, but since I was doing all the cooking outside anyways.....
That extra refer is nice, don't have to lug an extra ice chest for adult beverages"bouncey:

GaryWT
06-03-2015, 12:06 PM
It is nice to be outside, be able to cook and talk to people while the fire is burning etc etc. yes you can bring everything and set up a portable kitchen but it sure is easy to just unlock the door.

cw3jason
06-03-2015, 05:40 PM
I loved mine on my sunset trail. Used it all the time. It is the one thing I'll miss from upgrading to my Montana.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk