PDA

View Full Version : Fuel price breaks?

larrym
12-01-2011, 08:46 PM
While moving from Alaska to Texas last year, I made two trips, one towing, the other in a motor home. I never found any deals on fuel, except for extremely high mileage users, like long haul truckers.

I see one outfit, Flying J, offers RVers a .03 discount on fuel, but are there any little known discounts or "clubs" along the highways and byways that offer benefits, fuel mostly?

gkainz
12-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Safeway, King Soopers, other grocery chains (maybe?) offer a 2 or 3¢ discount with their shopper card, and 10¢ (once per month, I think?) if you purchase $100 a month with them.

Costco/Sam's Club seem to have a discount over going rate built into their price. Sadly, my 2 closest Costco's don't have diesel.

I use a smartphone app called Gas Buddy to find cheapest fuel.

ktmracer
12-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Safeway, King Soopers, other grocery chains (maybe?) offer a 2 or 3¢ discount with their shopper card, and 10¢ (once per month, I think?) if you purchase $100 a month with them.

Costco/Sam's Club seem to have a discount over going rate built into their price. Sadly, my 2 closest Costco's don't have diesel.

I use a smartphone app called Gas Buddy to find cheapest fuel.

also Pentagon Federal credit union has a charge card that gives you 5% credit on fuel purchases at the pump. It all adds up. No annual limit on purchases for the credit, unlike many of the other cards that limt the monthly or annual fuel purchases for credit.

JRTJH
12-02-2011, 12:50 PM
WalMart is still offering their 10 cent/gal discount if you use "their charge card" or "their gift card" We have a gift card and while we're shopping, I add $100 to that, then just use the gift card at the pump. I hate charging gas, so we just keep a "minimum balance on the gift card, and when we get low on fuel, just add some to the total. Seems to work for us, plus WalMart seems to have some pretty competetive prices most places, add the discount, they're usually the cheapest. In this area, they are about 6 cents cheaper than Sam's. And, from what my experience has been, Sam's cards are not honored at WalMart or vice versa....

geo
12-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Gkainz is correct in the proper geographical area. Here in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, Safeway sold out about 23 years ago. In our area, for grocery stores, try Kroger and their loyalty card. You get a ten cent per gallon discount on 35 gallons for every $100 worth of groceries. It is cumulative, so if you buy $300 groceries, you can get 30 cents per gallon discount on 35 gallons, etc. No limit per month, but credit for grocery purchases do not carry over month to month.

Not all Krogers have gas, and not all Krogers with gas stations have diesel. And even just buying fuel, the Kroger card gets you a 3 cent per gallon discount on unlimited gallons.

Ron

larrym
12-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks guys, I use an HEB grocery chain card here in central Texas for 11 cents off at the pump, until January 1st, then they'll probably renew the offer. I didn't think of the Walmart connection, curious how many are close to major highway on/off ramps.

I have an iphone application as well, looks like it relies on user input to keep prices up to date.