PDA

View Full Version : sub-woofers

hankaye
11-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Howdy All;

Have heard of the sub-woffers being tucked away in some unusual places...
I have a 2008 Couger 278RKS. Think I've explored every cabinet and access pannel... no joy :confused:
Where could it be ??????

hankaye

CarKath
11-30-2011, 04:14 AM
In my Alpine it was in behind the fireplace.

You could also check under / inside your step leading to bedroom.

Another place to check is for a false bulkhead in the area of the TV.

Festus2
11-30-2011, 07:44 AM
hankaye:
We have the identical Cougar and I am sure there are no sub-woofers that are part of the stereo system. Maybe Rascal can sniff those woofers out if they are hiding somewhere.....aarff, aaarff!

hankaye
11-30-2011, 08:27 AM
CarKath, Howdy;

In my Alpine it was in behind the fireplace.

You could also check under / inside your step leading to bedroom.

Another place to check is for a false bulkhead in the area of the TV.

H-mmmmmmm, haven't opened the step yet.....

Oh, boy, a 'reason' to tear into the trailer :bdance:

hankaye

CarKath
11-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Oh, boy, a 'reason' to tear into the trailer

Have fun :D

I hope you find it. Unless it not even in there like festus said. :confused:

hankaye
12-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Howdy All;

Just got done putting the step back together. No sub-woofer.
Did find where the heat duct for the bedroom vent makes it transition from below the floor to the basement. Wasn't a wasted trip, learned 2 things,
No heavy boomin' noises and where the ducting run is.

hankaye

SteveC7010
12-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Hank,

If your ears can handle some volume, adjust your graphic equalizer to boost just the lows and minimize the highs. Then pick something really bassy that you can stand (I'd pick something from the 60's like Twist & Shout :) ) and turn the volume up a bit. You should be able to locate the sub-woofer by ear or feel.

Should work, in theory anyway.

therink
12-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Howdy All;

Just got done putting the step back together. No sub-woofer.
Did find where the heat duct for the bedroom vent makes it transition from below the floor to the basement. Wasn't a wasted trip, learned 2 things,
No heavy boomin' noises and where the ducting run is.

hankaye

I have been wanting to open my step as well but was afraid I would break it. It didn't want to come up easily. How did you do it?
Steve

hankaye
12-01-2011, 03:28 PM
therink, Howdy;

Like most stairs are assembled, generally the tread (horizontal),is put in first then the riser (vertical). To remove take the riser off first. I found (may be different the day they built yours), 5 screws (#2 square bit), there were 6 around the perimeter of the tread.
To replace put the tread down first then the riser. Careful not to over tighten the screws when putting them back in. Snug does fine.

Have fun...:bdance:

hank

hankaye
12-01-2011, 03:31 PM
SteveC7010, Howdy;

Hank,

If your ears can handle some volume, adjust your graphic equalizer to boost just the lows and minimize the highs. Then pick something really bassy that you can stand (I'd pick something from the 60's like Twist & Shout :) ) and turn the volume up a bit. You should be able to locate the sub-woofer by ear or feel.

Should work, in theory anyway.

More proof that Great minds think alike. although I was leaning more to
"In a Gada-da veda" :cool3: :bdance: "bouncey:

hank

SteveC7010
12-01-2011, 03:44 PM
More proof that Great minds think alike. although I was leaning more to
"In a Gada-da veda" :cool3: :bdance: "bouncey:

Hank,

Works for me!

With an intro by Michelle Phillips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bQZ6l_cq5Y

geo
12-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Hank,

You ol' rocker! :cool3: Just about any Iron Butterfly will do. I found that the "Iron Butterfly Theme " from the album Heavy does a great job of getting rid of mice! :thumbsup:

Ron

hankaye
12-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Howdy All;

Summer of '70, Licola Beach, (A few miles Up the coast from Naples, It.),
Warn summer day, cute little British chick that lived next door with some Navy Machinist Mate came over cuz "Smitty" wouldn't let her play anything but CW on his stereo :( ... Well come on in pretty Lady... few bottles of chianti……:wave::thumbsup::bdance:

hankaye

flybouy
12-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Deep Purple works well to ..."My Lady from To-ka-oh..."

slewis95407
12-03-2011, 07:11 AM
hankaye

What stereo is installed in your Cougar? My Cougar has the Jensen AWM970. This not a 5.1 surrond system (no woofer)

hankaye
12-03-2011, 07:55 AM
slewis95407, Howdy;

Mine is a Jensen Media Pro 5000.

hankaye

slewis95407
12-03-2011, 11:45 AM
hankaye

I looked at your owners manual and do not see a woofer connection in the wiring diagram.

Link to owners manual
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CEAQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jensenheavyduty.com%2Fdownloa ds%2Fdl%2Ffile%2Fid%2F88%2Fmp5000_owners_manual.pd f&ei=WXvaTpGMG8W1twfFn7ybBQ&usg=AFQjCNGOuLHW_hOzVORkIkmSH0fb9bilHQ&sig2=CdhSuMXzbbVUC9-8RftWog

hankaye
12-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Scott, Howdy;

Thanks for the link...

hankaye

EH Hawkes
12-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Hi thanks for the info as I have a Alpine 3450 also and the sub woofer does not appear to be working. Have you had the fireplace out if so is there some sort of trick to it

geo
12-13-2011, 12:06 PM
EH -

I have an Alpine 3640. My sub-woofer is above the fireplace/TV behind the in the overhead cabinet. It is between the two access doors behind the material inset trim. Take a look up there.

Ron

smiller
12-13-2011, 05:13 PM
I looked at your owners manual and do not see a woofer connection in the wiring diagram.I think one reason the woofer may be so hard to find is that it's not there... :D

I added one to my 325SRX... a Dual (brand) 10" sub and amp for about $75 from Amazon. Works great, huge improvement.

CarKath
12-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Hi thanks for the info as I have a Alpine 3450 also and the sub woofer does not appear to be working. Have you had the fireplace out if so is there some sort of trick to it

Sorry to jack the thread. But , yes, woofer is behind fireplace. Remove trim that surrounds the 3 sides of fireplace. That exposes screws to remove fire place. Once you pull fireplace out..........sub woofer is there. I personally moved wire and of course sub woofer outside and beside fireplace and re-installed fireplace.

Good luck:)

hwhtech
12-13-2011, 08:24 PM
There is a subwoofer for the surround system behind the fireplace usually to the right or directly behind it.

reubenray
01-25-2012, 03:19 AM
What Jensen brands do have a sub-woofer? I will be looking at a Cougar HC 291RLS this weekend. When I looked before I could not find a sub anywhere.

Maxzd
02-12-2012, 08:43 AM
I think one reason the woofer may be so hard to find is that it's not there... :D

I added one to my 325SRX... a Dual (brand) 10" sub and amp for about $75 from Amazon. Works great, huge improvement.

Smiller where did you end up putting the sub in the 325srx. Is it in the cabinet below the stereo or did you wire it elsewhere?

smiller
02-12-2012, 09:13 AM
I mounted it in the left bottom cabinet in the entertainment center, there is a cover plate there to cover up the water fill lines with plenty of room behind it. I just cut a 10" hole and mounted the woofer. Works fine, the only issue is that the construction materials in the walls are pretty thin so hard to totally eliminate resonances when there is a lot of low-frequency energy, but there's not much to be done about that without doing more modification than it would be worth. Actually, I think you could even fit a 12" woofer in there, but not sure the additional sound level would be all that usable for the reason I just mentioned.

But it sure is a night-and-day improvement over the thin sound of the stock system, makes movie watching much more enjoyable.