PDA

View Full Version : Camping Style

Festus2
11-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Since many of us have put our RV's to bed for the winter, I thought it might be an idea to take a poll on our "camping styles". Essentially, the poll questions will focus on your camping habits and preferences with regard to hookups or dry camping.
The questions/options will look like this:

A) We always camp at sites which have hookups - 100% of the time
B) We usually camp at sites which have hookups (51% -99%)
C) We split our camping between hookups and dry camping (50% - 50%)
D) We sometimes use hookups but mostly dry camp (51%+ dry camping)
E) We rarely use hookups. (almost 100% dry camping)

Hookups = Water, Electricity, Sewer (any of the these)
Dry Camping = none of the above (pit toilets & hand-pumped water are okay)

hankaye
11-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Festus2, Howdy;

What about mulit-State (Province), types ie Snow-birds?
Full-timers while traveling between bases...
Reckon if we dry camp between (Wal-Mart ect.), we would be in Cat. B.

Ok, talked it out with the keyboard...lol. I still post it for others like me.

hankaye

Festus2
11-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Sorry Hank, I didn't take into account full-timers or snow birds. I was thinking more of the seasonal types and those who live most of the time in "stick houses". It's not a scientific poll so chose a category that best describes what type you do. You won't be marked or graded on your answer!

SteveC7010
11-16-2011, 05:25 AM
Since we met in the mid 1990's, our camping has been almost exclusively dry camping in NY Adirondack parks with a very few stays in parks with just electric hookups.

But! We bought the Cougar with full intent to do some cross country trips which we'll start next spring or summer. I fully expect we'll pick campgrounds with at least electric and water hookups for overnight stays and full hookups for base camping while touring a specific area.

antiqfreq
11-16-2011, 06:22 AM
In 2010 when we traveled cross country for the year we did have more electrical hookups than none but we still did a lot of dry camping. Several times it was for 4-7 days at a time and we loved it.

I would have preferred NO electrical hook ups at all but we went some places where you had to have W&E in order to do those sights on those areas as there were no dry camping places we felt we could unhook the fiver and just go.

Have fun,

Jo

campingcpl
11-16-2011, 06:24 AM
Personally I think a lot of people would fall into that "B" catagory. I know for us if we are traveling to a place that will take us more then a days drive we will dry camp at either a rest area, truck stop, Wal-Mart, etc. other then paying $40.00 + a night for a camp site with full hook-ups that we probably wont even use.

Would you consider it dry camping if the "only" hook-ups you have available is electric?

Pollster's Note:
No. For the purpose of this survey, having electricity would be "hooked up", but I understand why having power only could be considered as "dry" camping (no water or sewer).

byrdr1
11-16-2011, 06:44 AM
We use mainly campgrounds with full hookups, but our NC state parks only have water and power no sewer hookups and we go to these around twice a year. We have NA$CAR camped without anything but a generator to charge batteries back in the day.
Nothing but a good time...
but NOW with our mom&pop version 5er. I sure do like full-hookups & pull thru sites!
randy

hankaye
11-16-2011, 07:09 AM
Festus2, Howdy;

Sorry Hank, I didn't take into account full-timers or snow birds. I was thinking more of the seasonal types and those who live most of the time in "stick houses". It's not a scientific poll so chose a category that best describes what type you do. You won't be marked or graded on your answer!

I did vote. Opted for B. As when I "move" I'll generally choose a truck stop and do the "dry thang" :rolleyes: I did use elect. only one night on my last re-location effort.

hankaye

Jim W
11-16-2011, 07:14 AM
MY DW wants’ nothing but full hook-up's she even complains if we stay at a state park with electric and water only. She has said that after 40 years of on and off camping, we do not need to rough it anymore. We use to camp in a tent and than a small pop-up trail (COX). We moved on to a Starcraft 8 pop-up trailer when the kids where older and had this for several years. Still no water in this unit with only electricity and this was just one 15 amp plug.

Now that we own a 5er she has stated it is full hook-ups only. Got to keep Momma happy or no one is happy.
Jim W.

JRTJH
11-16-2011, 07:35 AM
Llike most, when we "travel" we usually stay at WalMart or another convenient and safe place for a simple overnight rest stop. If we're going to be someplace where it's unusually hot, we'll opt for at least electric service. Destinations usually are full hookups for these trips.

However, the majority of our "camping" (probably 95% of our use) is in unimproved US Forest or State campgrounds with no hookups (pit toilet and hand pumped water). Often, in Michigan, we camp where no campground is near. Michigan allows free camping on state property where there is no campground within one mile. We've found a number of lakes with excellent fishing and no available campground. We often set up on a bluff overlooking some of the most beautiful lakes in northern Michigan and on occasion have shared our fish with the bears <yikes>.

Thus, we find the need for a generator to recharge every few days.

SAABDOCTOR
11-16-2011, 09:13 AM
HI JIM WMY DW MUST HAVE TALKED WITH YOUR DW! HAVEN'T DRY CAMPED INYEARS. HOWEVER I AIN'T COMPLAINING. SPENT TOO MUCH TIME IN A TENT:bdance:

campingcpl
11-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Would you consider it dry camping if the "only" hook-ups you have available is electric?

Pollster's Note:
No. For the purpose of this survey, having electricity would be "hooked up", but I understand why having power only could be considered as "dry" camping (no water or sewer).

Thank you for clairifying that for me. :) Now that I know what you are considering "dry camping" my vote still stands at option B. If you would of said that even with electrical hook-ups and no water or sewage that would still be considered "dry camping" then I would of wanted to change my vote to C. :rofl:

cumminsdad08
11-16-2011, 01:17 PM
hook up most of the time, i got kids, 2-4, need i say more????? i know most of you been there before