PDA

View Full Version : If you own a keystone retreat camper, please read

swineboy
10-24-2011, 04:48 PM
To all new keystone retreat owners. I own a 39 fden retreat camper. I have had issues with it since bought. I really need to know if anyone else is experiencing any issuses with wetness in the back corners of the A pitch roof slide out. Everytime it rains, my corners get wet. Please respond and if you have a friend that has one please encourage them to check. Thanks, Mike

badge4
10-25-2011, 02:37 AM
We have a 2011 Retreat and have had an incident or two with leakage on the rear of the slideout near the dinette. I pulled the slideout rubber flap out of the fold and this seems to have solved the problem.

swineboy
10-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Please keep me posted. A friend of mine and ourselves own the same type of camper and both of us have had this issue ongoing now for over a year and still trying to figure the problem out. We replaced sweep seals, adjusted the
A pitch roof. We have done everything possible. I will tell you this. You need to check it shortly after a rain and keep a check on it everytime it rains. Thanks for the reply.

Tim Butcher
01-29-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm interested in purchasing a Retreat 39FDEN, it means an upgrade from our current trailer a Keystone Springdale. I'd like everyones thoughts on problems, quality of workmanship, things to look for, leaks etc. Send me a Private Message, Tim Butcher, tks, kitchener ontario canada

Retreatowner
02-16-2012, 07:57 AM
We own a Retreat 39FDN and we are having leaking problems on both slide outs. It is in the shop now and they are trying to figure out why. I know the wiper seal does not even touch the pitch on the large slide out. We have had the camper for lest than a year and in has been in the shop 4 months for different things.

Ashtabula
04-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Boy....after reading several of the reports and problems listed here and elsewhere I'm beginning to wonder if I should complete the transaction for our new Keystone Retreat 39FDEN.... I've had a Terry 31G for ten years with no problems!!!! Do I take the chance that the 2012 models have had the water leaking problems fixed???

Clanton24v
04-08-2012, 09:43 PM
To me it just looks like a bad design. The pitched roof is pointless and forces the water to the corners and also doesn't allow you to install a slideout topper that would keep the water off the roof

jkghdrider
05-07-2012, 05:29 AM
We purchased a 2011 Retreat Front Den model last July & after coming across these posts, checked ours this weekend after some pretty good rains & the carpeting at both corners of the super slide are quite wet, worse end being at the recliner end.. Reporting to our dealer today to see what they will do? Also, friends of ours just purchased the same model in a 2012 & they have wet carpet also & not very happy about it!

jkghdrider
05-10-2012, 09:58 AM
We purchased a 2011 Retreat Front Den model last July & after coming across these posts, checked ours this weekend after some pretty good rains & the carpeting at both corners of the super slide are quite wet, worse end being at the recliner end.. Reporting to our dealer today to see what they will do? Also, friends of ours just purchased the same model in a 2012 & they have wet carpet also & not very happy about it!

Talked to the service manager where we purchased, he says: You know we had 6.5 inches of rain recently...:confused: I says: Doesn't matter, unit should not leak whether a little or a lot of rain...:( They were going to check it out this week to see what they could find.

popskb
06-09-2012, 06:32 AM
I also own a 2012 retreat fden and noticed a wet rug under the window of the dinette area last summer.we thought it was because we had left the window open. Th is year, we found the carpet soaked and the window closed! It then happened again a few days later. I bought this camper at Camping world in Bath, NY and their service dept is terrible. We have had several issues other than the leak and our experience has been a nightmare. I put a tarp over the slideout and during a recent downpour, my slideout was dry.

popskb
06-13-2012, 05:34 AM
After speaking to both the dealer and to Keystone, it is VERY apparent that we are on our own to find and fix this problem. Keystone says that although there have been many posts about leaking F-den slide-outs, they don't think that there is a common problem with them and that each unit could be "leaking for different reasons", so they're looking at it in a case by case fashion! That tells me that there will be no recalls or service announcements to dealers. I pulled back the outer seal and noticed that the caulking job done to the inside seam was not done well. I recaulked that and around the window as well. It rained yesterday and the carpet was still wet, although not soaking wet as before. I'm interested in hearing what fixes worked and what causes of the leakage were found.

hendog
07-26-2012, 05:30 PM
i just purchased a 39 fden and was wondering if anyone had trouble with the floor bouncing when you walk on it. the dealer says this is normal but i dont know, anyone have any comments?

Stella
08-06-2012, 05:21 PM
i too bought a 2012 fdn last july. after one week we noticed the corners were leaking. after hiring an attorney i was able to get keystone have our dealer take our trailer and look at the problem. they say they replaced the floor including the carpeting and re-caulked all the seams, they also put a 2 in piece of tin behind the outside tin at the bottom of the side window, so water couldnt go up in there. . this worked for about a couple of months. however after some rain the other day it was leaking again. we also had problems with the floor bouncing we were told this was normal too, however our dealer did brace the floor some more and this seems to have helped the problem. these are just a few problems we have experienced with this trailer. i have a friend who bought the same trailer this year and hers was leaking in the same corners after a week of owning it, they re-caulked hers and it is again leaking. has anyone been able to fix this problem? i know someone else who bought a keystone retreat with the bedrooms and does not have the large a frame slide out he has had no problems with leaking.....

x96mnn
08-14-2012, 05:49 AM
I was camping last week and saw one of these campers in the park and noticed they had installed a slide awning. I made a point to pass by while walking the dog and while he was out I struck up a conversation and asked him if the awning came factory. He stated no but it should of, thing leaked and I installed that after numerous attempts to fix which all did not work and wanted to avoid mold. He stated it did the job.

As well I have noticed a rain gutter on the newer ones that goes down the side, not sure if the water running off the roof down would be causing it.

Clanton24v
08-15-2012, 12:01 AM
Curious on how he mounted the slide topper with the way this slide is designed

badge4
08-15-2012, 04:57 AM
I was thinking the same thing with the 19 foot cathedral roof line.

garmag
08-14-2013, 05:44 PM
I also have a 2012 Fden Retreat which has the same leaking problems as the rest of you. The dealer has been cooperative in coming out and making two attempts to solve the problem, and plans to come back a third time. They did some caulking on top of slide the first time. Next they removed the trim on the outside of the bottom of slide (both sides) and recaulked that. However, in a good storm with lots of rain and wind, we still are getting wet corners in the slide. The flap at the peak of the slide does not meet the roof of the slide by 1/2 inch, so I suspect that the wind blows rain under it which then drains down into the unit. I was told that the flap is not intended to create a waterproof seal. Have any of you had any success in getting this problem resolved? I am really frustrated because I don't want to have a rotted floor in the slide after a couple of years.

mango_oil
09-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Our keystone has leaked since day one ....7 service calls and still leaks...They have tried everything with no luck...Tomorrow they are comin to remove the slide and centre it...worried I will end up with more leaks....as it only leaks can't believe I'm saying that by the dinette table and only after a bad storm.....HAPPY with my service people truely disappointed with keystone not addressing the problem with this model.....They should have at least offer to put awnings over the slides knowing of this issue ....

WhiteTundra08
06-18-2014, 03:00 PM
Has anyone that owns this model been able to figure out where the water comes in when it rains. I am at my wits end trying to diagnose the problem. I see absolutely no signs on the roof of the slide as to what is causing water to come in at the corner near the dinette.

swineboy
10-22-2018, 05:49 PM
This camper still leaks. Major issues now, since it has leaked since day 1. Never buy another. Poor design A pitch slide, I've tried about everything.

DocP
10-23-2018, 12:51 AM
This camper still leaks. Major issues now, since it has leaked since day 1. Never buy another. Poor design A pitch slide, I've tried about everything.

I had similar issues with the floor immediately in front of the long slide in my 2014 39FDN Retreat - numerous failed repairs by dealer, and a 10 foot x 3 foot section of the wood substructure ultimately rotted over the winter. When I opened up the floor it was literally filled with standing water and the wooden joists had disintegrated and had black mold. I finally gave up and sold the 2-year old trailer for salvage value.

jillianj
12-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Hi Folks; I have a 2015 Retreat FKSS and had to have the bedroom slide completely rebuilt because it leaked so bad it was full of mold. This year I have a leak at the kitchen end of the super slide and can not figure out where it is coming from. The floor between the edge of the slide and the kitchen cupboards is completely gone as is the floor of the slide. The rubbers on the roof are barely touching the slide so I took waterproof tape and taped the rubbers to the roof on the leak side of the pitch and it still leaked. The rubbers are a little better on the other side of the pitch but no leak so far. I have had a couple of repair guys go up and to the roof and look, but they don't see any issues. Anyone with similar issues or any ideas?

Thanks

willis17
12-20-2019, 07:42 AM
Hi Folks; I have a 2015 Retreat FKSS and had to have the bedroom slide completely rebuilt because it leaked so bad it was full of mold. This year I have a leak at the kitchen end of the super slide and can not figure out where it is coming from. The floor between the edge of the slide and the kitchen cupboards is completely gone as is the floor of the slide. The rubbers on the roof are barely touching the slide so I took waterproof tape and taped the rubbers to the roof on the leak side of the pitch and it still leaked. The rubbers are a little better on the other side of the pitch but no leak so far. I have had a couple of repair guys go up and to the roof and look, but they don't see any issues. Anyone with similar issues or any ideas?

Thanks

Same model same issues. The floor at the kitchen end of the trailer is now water damaged. I have complained to the dealer and Keystone since day one of owning this unit about the leaks. Replaced sweeper seals, re-caulked, adjusted etc. etc. Most recently found that water had collected under the floor and was held in place by the underbelly vinyl. The insulation is completely soaked. The dealer does not know how the water is getting in. Keystone was no help at all. Repair estimate $8,000.00 no guarantee it will not leak again. I would be very interested in collecting data from all other Retreat owners with the gabled roof slide about how they fixed the issues or if they were successful in getting Keystone to assist in any way.

jillianj
12-21-2019, 08:51 AM
Hi, hv tried twice to reply and it keeps kicking me out. Basically like you got no help from Keystone or the dealership. They just washed their hands of the issue saying you are out of warranty. I bought the extended warranty, but it doesnt cover anything but mechanics.

I finally did find the leak but not before major water damage to my kitchen floor. In front of the fridge the floor is completely rotted away and I am sure there is mold under the vynl because when the unit is closed up it smells musty.

My leak was where the rubber used to seal the slide when the slide is closed attaches to the wall of the trailer. I haven't had a leak....that I know of.....since i had the caulking fixed.

Also check the caulking on you bedroom slides. I had another leak on the slide where the bed is....not the one I had rebuilt. When you inspect the caulking it looks fine, but if you run your nail down the caulking it peels right up. The floor to the left of the bed is now soft as well.

I feel either the caulking they used was substandard or maybe expired, or there was an issue with the application during the build. It would be interesting to find out what the build date was for both of our units.

Good luck, hope this helps

RLB
05-12-2020, 05:05 AM
I'm going to look at a 2012 retreat 39KBTS but I'm seeing issues with leakage on retreats. Is it only certain models with the larger slide? or is it all/most retreats.

jillianj
05-12-2020, 05:05 PM
I can't speak for other years ir models but I have had leaks on all three of my slides...not happy!

rabbar
10-20-2020, 06:38 AM
New to this forum. Some good info from other owners.

Just discovered wet carpet in the corners of both of my rear slides. This is a BHQS model I purchased new in 2014. It has been parked in the campground since then. No road miles on this retreat except getting it hear in early 2015.

Not sure how long it has been leaking but will now try to find the source. I'm sure it will be difficult.

Quality of these Keystone Retreats is very poor. Have had numerous problems over the past 5 years. Wish I would have done some better research prior to purchasing this POS!!!!

Stay tune, I will report my solution if I do actually solve the problem.

Rob R
07-29-2021, 04:19 PM
Someone who has had a few Retreats over the years finally explained it to me.
The water leaks down the wall of the slide and into the bottom corner seam. Wetting the carpet, and if left unattended the walls.
He said to undo all the screws along the the outside slide wall bottom seam. Remove the plastic edging, clean, re-caulk, and re-install.
Simple as that. Check it every year.

Weldon
07-30-2021, 11:59 AM
The water leaks down the wall of the slide and into the bottom corner seam. Wetting the carpet, and if left unattended the walls.
He said to undo all the screws along the the outside slide wall bottom seam. Remove the plastic edging, clean, re-caulk, and re-install.

Ummmm....10 year old thread.

sourdough
07-30-2021, 12:46 PM
Ummmm....10 year old thread.

Guess some threads/topics are like a fine wine....they just age well over the years.....and years and......:D

JRTJH
07-30-2021, 02:22 PM
I couldn't begin to count the number of times I've linked an old thread to a new question rather than type all those answers again.... I like the "fine wine" comparison. I've been laying laminate flooring all day, so a glass or two (or three) sounds like a great way to begin the evening... Well, after a long hot shower that is......

Gary P
04-23-2023, 05:23 PM
Hello, I own a 2019 retreat fkss. Problems since we took delivery. Leaks over the winter because the large slide doesn’t close tight enough. Last spring when we opened the carpet/wall was soaked and damaged due to water penetration. We contacted Keystone and no coverage because of the whole 90 day inspection aspect of the warranty. So the warranty expired our 1st winter because we have no access between October and May to inspect.
Repaired myself, used eternabond tape on every seam where there was caulking and seems to have worked. Also water damage over the kitchen area, the bulk head area.
This winter I covered the trailer with a RV cover, hopefully I will have a dry trailer when we open soon.
Very disappointed with the quality of our trailer.

Gary P
05-06-2023, 03:54 PM
I have a 2019 retreat with a suburban water heater model sw10de and I need a new relief valve.
The one suggested is the 161157 suburban pressure relief valve.
Does anyone know of a compatible make as this is no longer available
Thank you Gary

wiredgeorge
05-06-2023, 07:44 PM
I have a 2019 retreat with a suburban water heater model sw10de and I need a new relief valve.
The one suggested is the 161157 suburban pressure relief valve.
Does anyone know of a compatible make as this is no longer available
Thank you Gary

https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-161157-Pressure-Relief-Valve/dp/B000BPK7HU/ref=sr_1_1?crid=20ISBJCYBW46V&keywords=161157+suburban+pressure+relief+valve&qid=1683431033&sprefix=161157+suburban+pressure+relief+valve%2Cap s%2C217&sr=8-1

RagingRobert
05-07-2023, 03:53 AM
Another disappointed Keystone owner here...their design, materials used and carefree employee's are ridiculous. Not sure how they're still is business really. My 2018 RBS22 leaked from day one in two places...through the screwed on roof trim along the edge of roof at top of wall...no sealer used along top edge of trim or where screws are...made wallpaper bubble...I backed out screws one at a time squeezed in some silicon, reinstalled screws and put a small bead of clear silicone all along top edge of trim...solved issue I think, still need to repair wallpaper. Also leaked badly through the bottom screws on the flip up storage door frame... screws were put in crooked! The BS wood they used on the floor is like a sponge causing major damage...the dealer removed the bedroom and slide out, rolled backed the flooring up to the kitchen table and replaced the floor and put it all back together in my new trailer! Don't trust any dealers either btw...they didn't find the cause of the leak...I did and fixed it myself by removing the screws in metal storage door frame and reinstalling new screws with a rubber washer attached and silicon. It's the design, materials used and installation process that will eventually kill Keystone. Moral of my story...don't buy Keystone and give your RV a good look over...pretty sure it's leaking somewhere!

Lake life
06-23-2023, 06:36 AM
did you ever figure out why it leaked? do you have a pitched roof?

Lake life
06-23-2023, 06:39 AM

are you talking about pop outs? our pitched roof pop out has been leaking. We found first that it was not level (it sits at seasonal site and stays out-previous owner attached metal frame to it for front window protection). but we want to find a way to cover roof without building $2300 roof.

Lake life
07-29-2023, 10:34 AM
Did you ever figure out leak? We are from bville. Have camp at brennans and leaking in dining area