PDA

View Full Version : Slider Awnings

oldfrog
10-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Considering adding awnings on my 2 sliders.
Is it worth the cost? Is it a feasible DIY project? What's the down side of having these things, such as failure rate.
Thanks.

Ron
10-19-2011, 04:40 PM
I have had the toppers on the last 2 trailers and love them. They shade the direct sunlight to the top of the slide keeping it cooler, help with keeping leaves, twigs etc. off, also keep the rain away from the slide seals because the topper is longer than the slide. The only down side that I have had so far is the wind. To keep the topper from flapping around, I just wrap a rope over and around the slide and tie it down, that takes care of that problem. As far as installing them yourself, I don't see why you couldn,t do it, the awning rail should already be installed above the slide. I have not had a problem other than the wind. Hope this helps, Happy Campin..............Ron

eds451
10-19-2011, 05:26 PM
That was one of the first mods I did to our Cougar 5er. It keeps leaves and most weather off the roof of the slider. You CAN install it yourself (I did). Having a buddy to help is best. (I did not). Just follow instructions and you are good to go.

LeeMedic
10-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Oh yes, they are a must!

Mutley
10-27-2011, 12:23 PM
I considered a slide awning on our Laredo 265RL. Whats stopping me is how do you clean the top of the slide out? Can you retract the awning without pulling in the slide out to clean the top?

Gary

Festus2
10-27-2011, 01:40 PM
We seldom clean off the slide out roof before it is retracted. If we have been in an area that is heavily treed and the wind has blown leaves or other small debris on the roof, then I climb up the ladder to see how much stuff is there. If it appears as though it needs cleaning off, then I get on the roof with a broom and sweep it off.
If it just a few small leaves, I usually leave it. You should check for any small branches or any other debris that may cause damage to the slide topper fabric before you retract it.

Ron
10-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Hi Gary: We have had our toppers on since new August of 2010 and if you look at the top of the slides it is a little dusty, so if I need to clean it I can retract the slide go inside with a ladder and clean top if need be. There is no way to retract the topper with the slide out. Hope this helps....Happy Campin............Ron

ldprice47
01-10-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm also looking at putting toppers on my unit. Looking for feedback on the Pros and Cons of the Carefree and Dometic topper units.
Thanks,

haffcke
02-02-2012, 02:25 PM
just installed my new slide out awning so simple 2 hrs. tops takes 2 people to slide it into rail but other than that a very simple 1 person job, total cost with freight for 150 inc. topper just under 350.00, bought it on e-bay 229.00 had it delivered to a business address and saved 45.00 on shipping, seller on e-bay was grog1731, y'all can do this wish i hadn't waited so long. Phil:

antiqfreq
02-03-2012, 06:19 AM
We put them on our fiver in Nov. 2009 and are glad we did.

Traveling out west when it was snowing was nice to just knock it off the sliders and close them. Lots more trouble to get it of the slider when it is frozen on...

My DH had a buddy and both installed in about an hour or two.

Glad we did it - worth the cost!

Jo