PDA

View Full Version : gas burner diffuser

gottago
10-02-2011, 07:56 AM
does anyone use a 'gizmo' on their stove top between the gas burner and their cooking pot? adjusting the flame to get even heat and not burning the pot is tough, and someone recommended a diffuser. never seen one, never used one. any suggestions?

JRTJH
10-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Grandma used to have an asbestos "hot pad" that sat on the stove under her coffee pot, the burner was on low most of the morning. She said it kept from scalding her coffee. Since asbestos is now out, there are several stainless plates you can buy to put under pots to keep the flame "more even" and prevent burning. We originally went the "light weight" route, bought a set of cheap aluminum pots and pans years ago. We found out the hard way that if you want to cook like home, you need pots like home. We gave up on the weight issue and just forked out the dough (puns intended) for a second set of Revereware and haven't burned anything since.... Well, as long as we watch what we're doing LOL

SteveC7010
10-02-2011, 09:15 AM
We found out the hard way that if you want to cook like home, you need pots like home. We gave up on the weight issue and just forked out the dough (puns intended) for a second set of Revereware and haven't burned anything since.... Well, as long as we watch what we're doing LOL

Ditto! We upgraded our home cookware to Calphalon slowly over a couple of years. All the Revereware was moved permanently to the trailer and the cheapy aluminum stuff went to the yard sale.

We still have a chili pot, a pasta pot, and a couple of non-stick fry pans that go from the house to the trailer and back for each trip because we haven't found decent duplicates to put in the trailer permanently. Oh yeah, that huge Calphalon non-stick griddle goes back and forth, too.

Given that so many of us use our Keystones so much of the time, it makes good sense to have decent cookware on board.

hankpage
10-02-2011, 09:45 AM
gottago, I'm going to guess that you cook with electric at home. I also have to agree that cutting corners with cookware is a mistake we all probably made. On the other hand .... "Burnt offerings" and not being able to adjust the flame are good reasons to eat out. :applause: :thumbsup:

gottago
10-02-2011, 12:01 PM
right on the money. electric at home and cheap pots for the weekend camping we have done up to now. looking at going for a 3 month stay, so cooking at home instead of eating out WAS the plan. upgrading the pots could cost more than eating out. thats my storey and i'm sticking to it:rolleyes:

JRTJH
10-02-2011, 05:47 PM
hehe Eating out is cheaper than buying pots and pans???? Hmmm sounds like someone doesnt really want to cook <wink>

If you got to WalMart, they have some small sets of pretty good cookware for under $100. Granted, it's not cephalon, but good heavy nonstick aluminum.

I'd still say to start checking garage sales, good will, etc. When you find Revereware at a sale, (or another name brand if you prefer) pick it up piece by piece. That way, it's cheaper than the dollar menu at Micky D's :bdance:

hankpage
10-02-2011, 06:38 PM
That way, it's cheaper than the dollar menu at Micky D's :bdance:

Would you like fries with that???? :D ← Hey look! there's nuggets in my teeth.

Johnnyfry
10-03-2011, 09:06 AM
I recently purchased a single burner Fagor induction hotplate at CW and it is the best purchase I have made for my Cougar, it was about $100.

Upsides:
It has a tremendous range of hest. From a slow simmer to more heat than the big gas burner on the stove.

It creates no heat of it's own, the surface itself does not get hot so it heats up the trailer a lot less on a hot day than.using the stove.

It is easily portable so I can use it outside on a table near a 120v outlet. That way there is no cooking odor in the trailer when I am sautéing fish. (the Cougar has a pretty good exhaust fan but it is nowhere as powerful as the suck the eggs out of the pan model I have at home)

It reacts faster than gas. When you turn it off/down it reacts NOW.

Downsides
You have to use magnetic pans. This means any pan a magnet will stick to. That includes all cast iron pans and many clad pans. Take a magnet to the store or look for "Induction" on the bottom. I have an induction range at home and I love it.

The device weighs about 3pounds and is roughly 12 inches square.

John