PDA

View Full Version : Electric Awning & Lights

BevandNorm
09-29-2011, 06:25 PM
We will soon be picking up our new Springdale with an electric awning. Can you put a tie down on it and can you hang party lights off it with the kind of canvas hangers and s hooks that feed into the traditional awning roller?

SteveC7010
09-29-2011, 07:04 PM
We will soon be picking up our new Springdale with an electric awning. Can you put a tie down on it and can you hang party lights off it with the kind of canvas hangers and s hooks that feed into the traditional awning roller?

Unlike conventional awnings, there are no posts from the ends of the rollers to the ground. Tie downs are only effective on awnings with the posts. If you tied down the roller ends without posts, a gust of wind would still damage the arms as they are differently configured from what we all are used to.

The electric awning really needs to be rolled up if the wind kicks up. Same when you go away for the day.

If the adjustment knobs are loosened, the electric awning should self dump if there is any ponding in the rain. If they are tightened without setting the awning to rain position, you are pretty much guaranteed that the fabric will tear away.

The roller on ours has the traditional 3rd groove that will take the hangers for party lights.

Without the posts, the awning probably is not strong enough for hanging plants. I suspect that Patio-Rooms can not be hung off them either.

One final point. On our trailer, the awning is very high off the ground, even when fully extended and in its lowest position. I am 6'2" and can not reach the roller without my trusty little step ladder. So even though the extra slot is there, I suspect hanging party lights in the traditional way may become a thing of the past.

slewis95407
09-30-2011, 04:55 AM
BevandNorm

I have a fluorescent drop light that I attached to a couple of the plastic hangers. I stand on the entrance steps and pull the awning down on that side and lock the arm. Slide the light into the tracks, lay the cord in the awning arm and plug into my photo cell timer. Then release the awning arm back to its normal position. If the wind comes I slide the light out and roll up the awning.

I have also been looking at a screened in room made by Carefree (Vacation'r) that will fit the Dometic electric awning.

brent
09-30-2011, 06:07 AM
i have a 2011 outback sydney 325fre and i use tie downs to hold it in place, never had a problem with the wind as i live in lousisana. i do roll it up if the wind does get to strong or heavy rains. the lights will work in the tube slot, but a stool might be needed.

BevandNorm
09-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks for your input. Guess I might not be able to use the new party lights my husband bought me!:(

Festus2
09-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Don't fret. You can still party --- but in the dark.

BevandNorm
10-01-2011, 06:16 AM
Now that's FUNNY Festus2!!!

dunnnc
10-27-2012, 03:39 PM
I installed some led ribbon lights to the bottom of the rail that holds the awning to the camper.

Jay D
10-28-2012, 11:50 AM
I have a 299 BHS with elec awning, I add lights to the track all the time. If it looks like it will be windy I take them down and roll awning in. I did tie my awning down a couple times with ratchet straps and tent stacks in the ground it worked well. I was thinking of adding a loop or eye bolt to the end of awning to secure the strap

dunnnc
10-28-2012, 01:28 PM

I use the aluminum telescoping poles I made and hang the sun screen to the awning tube. The poles are self storing and support the tube and take all the load off the flimsy adjustable arms. I don't even tighten the arms, but leave them loose. They never move in the wind.

curlyfungirl
10-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Has anyone tried the suction cup hook things? I bet they might stick to the smooth surface of the fiberglass without damaging it??

michol02
10-29-2012, 06:35 PM
I bought a multi colored LED strip light with adhesive back. It is adjustable to several different colors(has remote control), and just rolls up with the awning. They are around $25 on eBay(5M 3528 RGB Waterproof 300 LED light). They put out plenty of light. I did some modifying of the wiring, including running it up through the awning arm. When the awning is out, just connect the plugs(painted them green on one side). When I retract the awning, it unplugs itself.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/30/humu2uqe.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/30/3ujabavu.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/30/4uzuvaha.jpg

dunnnc
10-30-2012, 02:28 AM
I bought a multi colored LED strip light with adhesive back. It is adjustable to several different colors(has remote control), and just rolls up with the awning. They are around $25 on eBay(5M 3528 RGB Waterproof 300 LED light). They put out plenty of light. I did some modifying of the wiring, including running it up through the awning arm. When the awning is out, just connect the plugs(painted them green on one side). When I retract the awning, it unplugs itself.

Mounted my ribbon lights on the bottom of the attaching rail at the trailer so I don't have to worry about connecting or disconnecting the lights. Also put a remote control on them as well as the awning itself.

Picture is not my trailer, but the lights are mounted the same.

Htfiremedic
10-30-2012, 05:37 AM
I have heard of people leaving the rope/ribbon lights on the awning when stored. Any ideas?

michol02
10-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Before I had the LED strip light, I had a rope light in the same place with the same setup except it attached with plastic clips that slid into the awning rail/track. I had tie-wraps on the ends to keep the rope tight. It made a little bulge in the canopy when it was rolled up, but it worked. I like the strip much better. It's much brighter, it can change to any color I want, and it doesn't create a bulge like the rope did. If you still wish to go with the rope light, Camping World has rope light hooks, or even better, they sell a rope light trak.

Htfiremedic
10-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Great, thanks!

SteveC7010
10-31-2012, 04:48 AM

What a super idea!

I looked over some of the auctions and Buy It Now's on Ebay and discovered that the lessons we've learned about LED's for use in the light fixtures on our rigs can also be applied to these LED strips. And there are some really neat features to be looked at as well.

We now know that the 5050 LED is about 3 times brighter than the 3528's (15 lumens vs. 5 lumens) and I found these strips in both configurations. Given the number of LED's on the strip, it likely doesn't change the overall effect when turned on at night.

They are also available in solid colors including bright white and warm white as well as the RGB already mentioned. I like the remote control that allows you to blend different colors for various effects with the RGB strips.

These strip lights can be cut to length so those of us with shorter awnings can still make full use of them. That also makes them adaptable to a host of other uses.

Their primary power is 12 vdc. The 110 vac power packs are an optional add-on. For those of us that dry camp a lot, this is just as good as it gets.

If you think about your rigs for a moment, you'll quickly find other places that these strip lights would be very useful. My Cougar has a very large basement with just one dinky light in it. A couple of these strips would be fantastic there. Same for the front cargo compartment by the fifth wheel. I am also thinking they might make for better under cabinet lighting for the kitchen counters.