PDA

View Full Version : Generator exhaust

chief702
09-29-2011, 05:27 PM
The exhaust pipe on the generator for my 300MP is right under the bedroom slide out where the carbon monoxide detector happens to be. As you can imagine when I run the generator, the detector goes off....Poor design!!!!!!Anyone else have this issue, what was the fix? It is still under warranty, going to take it back to the dealer.

BigCajun
01-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Yes, same issue with Raptor 361 LEV. Lots of fumes coming in from bedroom slide. I had to fight with Keystone to adjust the slide, finally got it approved...it helped but did not fix the problem. I purchased Genturi system and even with this, I still have CO problems. I did find some loose connections on the CO detector which caused the unit to run on battery and when the battery ran out, the detector would sound...usually at 4 a.m.(why does that happen?) I replaced with new crimp connections and new battery, but still have the detector go off while using the genny. I placed another battery powered CO detector in the bedroom and it does not go off.

I contacted the manufacturer, Quantum Group, and obtained a return id number, sent the CO unit to them in September and still don't have a new one. Quantum Group is a joke! You cannot get them on the phone, they do not respond to email or snail mail. I sent a letter to Keystone asking for help and got a phone call...The customer service rep called Quantum, got them on the line with me, then hang up. Quantum rep then told me that they never got my unit. However, in October, the rep told me that he had just received it. She would have her supervisor call me. That has been three days and I am not holding my breath.:confused::(

SAABDOCTOR
01-11-2012, 12:38 PM
HOLY SUFFICATION BATMAN. IF THE DETECTOR IS GOING OFFAND KEYSTONE IS STALLING OR IS IT THE DEALERSHIP? I WOULD BECOME THE WARRANTY COMPANY AND FIX IT MYSELF. GET THE EXHAUST TO EXIT SOMEPLACE EALSE. THE SLIDE SEALS ARE NOT THAT SECURE THAT THEY WOULD KEEP CO OUT. I WOULD REROUTE THE SYSTEM. WITHOUT PIXS I CANT HELP YOU BUT WITH A LITTLE IMAGINATION YOU CAN COME UP WITH A FIX. JUST MAKE SURE YOUR CONECTIONS ARE TIGHT. GOOD LUCK:bdance:

hankaye
01-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Howdy All;

Ever heard of the Consumer Protection People...

Find the one's for your State or get in touch with the Local tv ststion with the best 60 minutes type reporter...... They'll make the calls and whatever else...

Only a suggestion.

hankaye

chuck&gail
01-11-2012, 08:48 PM
IMHO if the detector goes off, it is unsafe to be in there. Personally I'd just fix it myself, rather then battle with government stupidity at any level. I think consumer protection is a myth. Why do Chinese products that kill keep getting into USA. Sure we are protected, ... not.

Ironryders
01-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Has anyone ever put some sort of extention on the exhaust when the generator is running to move it away from the slide? I can see where heat would be a problem. Maybe insulated. Any ideas?

cumminsdad08
01-12-2012, 02:36 AM
why not a Stack?. good tight seals that can be sliped on when you are ready to use it, and removed for transit. this would get your gases up and over the whole trailer? i don't know how these things are oriented on your trailers, but i would figure somewhere it would exit from underneath the trailer?

Bob Landry
01-12-2012, 06:34 AM
You would think the RV builders would learn some lessons from the marine industry. There have been many deaths because of faulty generator exhuast systems, leaky seals, and defective sensors. I can tell you that any time there is a death or even an injury because of negligence, and this certainly reeks of that, everybody goes to court. I would start with the Attorney General and the consumer Protection Agency in your state and see where that goes.

smiller
01-12-2012, 06:41 AM
The exhaust pipe on the generator for my 300MP is right under the bedroom slide outThat is an astonishingly bad design. Fix it yourself and worry about blame later, it's too dangerous to do otherwise.

BigCajun
01-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Has anyone ever put some sort of extention on the exhaust when the generator is running to move it away from the slide? I can see where heat would be a problem. Maybe insulated. Any ideas?

That's what the Genturi system is. It routes the exhaust over the top of the rv.

Ironryders
01-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the info. I ordered the Gen-turi today for my Raptor 365-LEV. That is just what I was thinking of. Too bad someone thought of it first.