PDA

View Full Version : Rv Covers

scotty
09-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Hello Everyone

I'm hoping to get alot of feed back from this post. Its about RV covers. Winter is just around the corner for Mass. and I have good and bad concerns about RV covers.

First good: It will keep the camper clean, protect it from UV sun, water/snow, and some covers will allow air to get thru to let the camper breathe.

My concerns: #1 The cover rubbing back and forth during the winter causing the side edges of the rubber roof to start thinning out. #2 My main concern is the wieght of the snow on top of the cover. Here me out. First lets back up. I know that campers now a days are able to with stand all of the weather elements here in New England or anywhere else. With snow on top of a roof with no cover, it just fills the top up with snow displacing [about] the same weight everywhere. Now placing a cover on top, I think moves the weight a little different. Take the AC unit on top as an example. With the cover over the AC unit with snow on it, I believe that there is more weight add to that area of the roof as no cover with snow on the AC unit. The AC unit is about 15 inches tall. With a cover over it you now create a CONE shape to this area adding more weight before the cover sits flush with the roof. The same would be for the vents, gas vents, shower doom, and aatenna. I'm just not sure if this is good for the roof.

Thanks for looking and please give me your thoughts on this. Anything will help.

Thanks

Scotty

Festus2
09-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Scotty:
You have pretty much summed up the pros and cons of covering an RV. I have used a cover for the past 3-4 years. The past two have been with an RV that has a rubber roof. Last year when I removed the cover, I noticed that the edge of the rubber roof were showing signs of rubbing and chafing. In fact, there were 3 small areas where the outer white layer of the rubber membrane had worn through in a tiny area exposing the black membrane below. I applied Eternabond patching to these 3 areas and am not worried about them leaking.
However, the whole length of the roof shows signs of some wear along the edge. The edge is sharp - not rounded like some roofs I have seen. It is prone to wear and tear.
I did place some leaf bags filled with dry leaves along the middle section of the roof from front to back --- creating a peak the entire length which allowed rain to run down and not collect in any pools on the roof itself.
It worked well with snow as well.
We live in an area that is subjected to some high winter winds and the cover billows and rubs.
It does keep the RV clean but at what other cost?
I am probably not going to cover the RV again this winter but make sure that everything is properly sealed and caulked.
Want to buy a near-new cover?
I would not recommend that you cover it and I think most would agree.

SteveC7010
09-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Our last TT sat outside year 'round for the first 11 years that we had it when we lived in the Finger Lakes region of western New York State. I never covered it, and the EPDM roof did just fine. I did use a snow rake to clean off the roof from time to time if I thought the snow was building up too much. We lived on a hillside and the west wind could sure whip around the house and trailer. I believe a cover would have done more damage than good.

I had the luxury of parking it in a huge carport this past winter. Big difference, but I still gave it the usual close inspection and cleaning when we pulled it out in April.

I can't recommend covering a TT.

bgilly
09-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Like Scotty, I am about to buy a cover for my unit and I was about to jump on the Adco cover sale at Camping World but I paused. A lot of bad flack on the Tyvek out there. Anyone have experience of covers to stay away from? I am now looking at Poly Pro III Deluxe Covers. They seem well rated. I didn't cover my last camper and the decals were peeling within a couple years and the filon took on a weathered look even with regular care.
I am in the deep south so snow is not a big issue and wind is not often a problem but wasp and mud daubers are so a cover will save me the headache of screening everything.

Thanks!

Bobby

Festus2
09-26-2011, 08:42 PM
If you live in an area that receives very little, if any wind, then covering your roof might be an option. Wind causes the cover to billow and to move slightly from front to back and from side to side. It is the movement of the RV cover across the surface of the rubber roof - especially the edges - and the resulting wearing and chaffing of the rubber that was, and is, my concern. Even tho the cover comes with numerous tie-down straps, it will still move in the wind. You can't tie it down by throwing lines over top of the roof as the lines/rope will cause holes in the cover.
I really don't think it matters which brand of cover you buy if you are buying it for "resistance to wind" and the resulting damage it will cause to your roof - and other areas of the RV where it rubs against.

bgilly
10-05-2011, 06:02 PM
I eneded up getting a PolyPro III Deluxe. It should be in next week. Overall it appears to rate right along with other brands but for a $100.00+ less than Adco.
If it last a couple years it will add up to about $5.00 a month.

Bobby

2011 keystone
10-06-2011, 08:59 AM
It looks like most if not all posters here do not like covers. Me on the other hand would never not cover my tt over the winter months. I have always and will always cover mine. My dealer even said it is a great idea to cover when it will be in prolonged storage.:thumbsup:

dmatt
10-06-2011, 10:24 PM
We have covered our class c every year since we bought it. The sun out here can really destroy the finish, plastics and rubber. It's a 2007 and looks like new. I'm glad I did now that I'm selling it and plan on getting a cover for the TT when I buy it.

I can tell you from experience that in the sun, the ADCO tyvek lasts 2 yrs at best. I've had 2 of them so far and will not buy one for the TT. Get one made from Sunbrella. They're more expensive but most have a 5 yr warranty.

dmatt
10-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Just as a follow up. On other sites there are a lot of discussions regarding whether to cover or not, and I know there are a lot of people who think its bad to put covers on RVs. However, If you look at the shine and condition of our RV after four yrs being covered you can see why I'm a true believer. There's no way it would look like this good if it was sitting outside 24/7/365:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_21380_0_2a736eae04b6cb586c345e43eb569321.jpg

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_21380_1_15671ac63870455ad9d1c5573109545e.jpg