PDA

View Full Version : Washington D.C. Trip

Nick & Gia's Trailer
08-31-2011, 05:37 PM
Some advice please. Going to WDC over Columbus Day weekend. Can TT's go
through the Harbor Tunnel or are they restricted? If you cannot use tunnel, any good options to use rather then going through Baltimore.

My route is from Central New Jersey to Greenbelt Maryland, (Cherry Hill Campground). I95 south would have been my best and most direct route.

matandjen
09-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Here is a snippet from a post on this topic:

For 10 years I have avoided the Baltimore Harbor and Fort McHenry tunnels in my migrations north and south.

I have read and heard tales of real high fines, and then again tales of no problems going through it with an RV. Yesterday, in Bedford Mass, a friend (Army retired Ranger), said as long as your not in a commerical operation and do not have a placard of hazardous materials on your vehicle, its okay-- He uses it all the time.

Well, I've heard enough, so I got on the Web and found a number to call, Here it is 410-537-1374, They are the enforcement agency for the tunnels. The Corporal who answered the phone said-- NO WAY can RV's use the tunnels with Propane on board--PERIOD! He said any RV going through the tunnels is a big red flag to enforcement officers. You must use the Key Bridge or other alternative routing.

hankaye
09-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Nick & Gia's Trailer, Howdy;

Best policy to maintain in regards to Tunnels

STAY OUT Most of the folks look at the propane tanks as an explosive devise waiting to go off...

Take I-695 towords Towson. Yep it's longer, yet it's not as nerve racking, and
you'll feel better.

hankaye

cumminsdad08
09-01-2011, 04:46 PM
my advice, if god wanted us underground, he would have given us night vision, and claws for digging. to each there own. take the longer run, it will be a little more enjoyable.