PDA

View Full Version : Trailer bounces,shakes when stabilizers are down

game warden
08-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Just a weird question when stabilizers are down and trailer is leveled out the trailer bounces when someone walkes on floor or gets inside.i chock the wheels and lock the wheels with a x jack.Any ideas how to stop it or am i expecting to much? I have a 303tg tt.

jq1031
08-17-2011, 05:24 PM
If you've done all that, the answer is yes. The wheels & axles are mid-ship, meaning unlike a car (or motor home) they are not in the 4 corners of the vehicle. The suspension is again mid-ship not on a front & back axle so rocking & rolling is unavoidable UNLESS you lift the TT off the springs for a solid foundation & for the most part that is not practical!

THedges
08-17-2011, 07:49 PM
In my experience a lot of people do not torque there stabilizer jacks enough. They can handle a lot of pressure. If you crank those jacks down and use a good wheel chock that will get rid of most of the movement.

KanTC
08-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Welcome to the forum game warden,

If you don't already do so... go back & double-check everything a couple
of hours after you've set up camp and the tires have cooled.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot & DH Kevin :)

KO4A
08-18-2011, 04:59 AM
I mounted scissor jacks just in front of the tires and take the spring bounce out. you can try with two bottle jacks and see if it does the trick for you.

Jay D
08-18-2011, 05:43 AM
After everything settles in a day or 2, I always go back and check all the stabilizers. Specially with the young ones jumping out of the bunks, running in an out all day and the ground settling under them. Jay

LeeMedic
08-18-2011, 09:27 AM
In my experience a lot of people do not torque there stabilizer jacks enough. They can handle a lot of pressure. If you crank those jacks down and use a good wheel chock that will get rid of most of the movement.

I use an cordless drill with a socket and set it for a high torque setting then torque my all four of my jacks to the same setting. That way you know you are not twisting the frame/trailer. Make sure you check them at least 2 times initially to ensure they are all the same torque.

I just giggle when I see men out there with a hand crank just cranking away, breaking a sweat while I sit with my cordless drill in my lap.

jq1031
08-18-2011, 10:19 AM
I use an cordless drill with a socket and set it for a high torque setting then torque my all four of my jacks to the same setting. That way you know you are not twisting the frame/trailer. Make sure you check them at least 2 times initially to ensure they are all the same torque.

I just giggle when I see men out there with a hand crank just cranking away, breaking a sweat while I sit with my cordless drill in my lap.

Gee I just hold the button on my electric stabelizers!:bdance:

THedges
08-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Gee I just hold the button on my electric stabelizers!:bdance:

Me to! It sure is rough! :rofl:

msp2jxr
08-18-2011, 10:32 AM
I added the steadfast stabilizers and they do work... doesn't solve all the problems but it does most of the shaking.
I like them becasue they stay on the trailer and I don't have to move them around. They are always ready to go.

Festus2
08-18-2011, 10:45 AM
You guys should come camping with me and I will provide all the laughs and giggles for you. Grab a chair, sit back with a cool one, and watch me while I get out my manual crank and start turning. Sorry, but the show will be quite brief since it takes about 20 secs for each stabilizer so your entertainment will be short-lived.
Funny. This 70+ year old starts to giggle when some fit, "young" 45 year-old hauls out his cordless and lowers the stabilizer. Does it in probably 10 secs ---- twice as fast as my slow, hand-driven crank.
Yes, holding down those remote buttons and cordlesss triggers is really tough.

Jay Pat
08-18-2011, 11:35 AM
2X Exactly what msp2jxr said. SteadyFast is very simple to operate, system.

Pat

cumminsdad08
08-18-2011, 12:06 PM
i perfer to use my hand crank. :bdance: i tried a cordless jobby and didn't care for it much. the socket kept falling out when i would untension it, and the damn thing would be dead everytime i grabed it. just one more thing to worry about. too top it off the "young" guys make me feel like a baby(25).

as far as rocking around. mine does too, and i just learned to get use to it. after all, it is camping, still better then sleeping in the dirt.:rofl:

CPE
08-19-2011, 05:55 PM
me too! They need to be pretty snug and checked after a day or two or after arriving.

JRTJH
08-19-2011, 06:43 PM
WHOOOOOOOOOO <G> Trailer rocking??? Hmmmm ya needs to come sit in the boat with me..... After a day on the water, the trailer seems "rock steady" compared to da boat <G>

LeeMedic
08-20-2011, 02:39 AM
You guys should come camping with me and I will provide all the laughs and giggles for you. Grab a chair, sit back with a cool one, and watch me while I get out my manual crank and start turning. Sorry, but the show will be quite brief since it takes about 20 secs for each stabilizer so your entertainment will be short-lived.
Funny. This 70+ year old starts to giggle when some fit, "young" 45 year-old hauls out his cordless and lowers the stabilizer. Does it in probably 10 secs ---- twice as fast as my slow, hand-driven crank.
Yes, holding down those remote buttons and cordlesss triggers is really tough.

I am not young unless you call 60 young. The reason I like using the drill, I know I have the same torque for each jack. No twisting of the trailer frame.

My 2010 Sprinter had the electric jacks, and I thought that was the way to go, but I have found for unleveled surfaces the manual jacks require less cribbing. I asked Keystone why they stopped using the electric jacks, and I guess they had too many warrantee issues with them.

LeeMedic
08-20-2011, 02:40 AM
me too! They need to be pretty snug and checked after a day or two or after arriving.

That is a good rule/thought.