PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling condensation

DTJ9610
08-06-2011, 05:41 AM
I noticed a spot of condensation next to my AC unit. I also felt along the side and it was damp. Is this normal? The unit has been running quite a bit this week.

therink
08-06-2011, 06:57 AM
It is possible the condensate water is not all draining to the outside. Remove the ceiling cover (4 screws) and you should see 4 bolts that secure the ac unit to the roof. These may be loose allowing water to get past the compression seal on the roof. If they are loose, tighten them evenly but do not overtighten. It could be that the seal is bad as well.
Another thought is that the condensation you are experiencing if small may just be due to extreme humidity.
Steve

rjsurfer
08-06-2011, 07:43 AM
It is possible the condensate water is not all draining to the outside. Remove the ceiling cover (4 screws) and you should see 4 bolts that secure the ac unit to the roof. These may be loose allowing water to get past the compression seal on the roof. If they are loose, tighten them evenly but do not overtighten. It could be that the seal is bad as well.
Another thought is that the condensation you are experiencing if small may just be due to extreme humidity.
Steve

+1 on the 4 hold down bolts being loose.

Ron W.

Bob Landry
08-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Along with the above suggestions, drop the Chill Grill and inspect all of the taping in the plenum area. Several of us have found sloppy tape jobs that allow cold air to be forced into the ceiling areas instead of the duct like it should. While you are doing that, it's a good time to remove the ceiling grills and make sure the duct is adequately taped to the register. That's also a source of lost cold air and condensation possibilities.