PDA

View Full Version : Bumper caps

lescarp2
08-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Anyone have an issue with bumper caps that don't want to stay on? The caps on our 2011 Laredo 303TG seem to fit tight when I put them on/off to remove or store the sewer hose. In fact they can be difficult to get back on. But several times after a trip, I found they had worked loose and nearly fell off during travel. I ended up using an extra strap for tying down my kayak to run from one bumper cap to the other to keep them on.

Festus2
08-02-2011, 07:40 PM
It's those darn sewer hose gremlins! Everybody's got them. They come out when you are travelling down the road, start pushing on the cap to work it loose so they can escape.
Some folks put a small, SS screw at the top of the end bumper and attach it to the cap with a nylon fishing line. Might work loose but it won't fly off.

hankpage
08-02-2011, 07:42 PM
You really should find another place to store your sewer hose. The inside of the bumper will rust and wear holes in the hose. This can get costly and, or messy. Mount a piece of PVC pipe or a vinyl fence post somewhere and glue the bumper-caps on to the bumper. That's the only cure I have found for both problems. JM2¢, Hank

therink
08-03-2011, 02:54 AM
I don't even bother with the bumper to store sewer hose on the rig I have now. I mounted 4" PVC pipe under the frame to hold hose. On my old trailer, had the same issue. I drilled holes through the bumper and caps, and used a 4.5" bolt with nut to hold the caps in place.
Steve

kenn209
08-03-2011, 03:18 AM
I have lost a few bumper caps. I just removed them. I don't store anything in there so no bigge

Outbackmel
08-03-2011, 05:40 AM
I do not use the bumper for stowing. Simply use black electrical tape and issue resolved.

gepaine
08-03-2011, 07:29 AM
I replaced my caps with the following locking caps from Camping World:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/locking-bumper-plug/6902

They work great.

As for not storing your sewer hose in the bumper because it will cause the bumper to rust - yes that is true, but I think the bumper is going to rust anyway and I doubt it is going to rust thru and become visible during the life of the trailer.

As for causing holes in the sewer hose - I seriously doubt that. Besides,that is what duct tape is for!! :)

GMcKenzie
08-03-2011, 07:46 AM
I'm trying the same caps as above, but also clamped on a tube for a second, longer hose. This hose will see the most use with the other just being an extension.

Dad has drilled holes through the bumper and end cap and put a this tent stake through the hole to keep them in place. Works well as well.

kenn209
08-03-2011, 07:49 AM
I replaced my caps with the following locking caps from Camping World:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/locking-bumper-plug/6902

They work great.

Buddy of mine has those, he also says they work great!

JRTJH
08-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Camping World has a folding step ladder that is 3.5"x3.5" when folded. I was thinking about putting that in the bumper and putting a 6" x 1/4" clevis pin in each end (through the caps) to hold them in place. (Also to keep the ladder from flying out.)

As I remember, our first "sewerhose bumper" was in 1972. I lost several caps on that one and things haven't changed at all. So much for 40 years of improvement in design.... My 2011 has the same caps and essentially the same bumper. Maybe the paint is different????? Hmmmm gotta have something to attribute to "evolution" LOL

gepaine
08-03-2011, 06:40 PM
JRTJH,

I have the ladder you mentioned - in the 5-foot version. I bought one 4" Square PVC Fence Post and 2 end caps from Home Depot, mounted them under the tongue frame (cross-wise), and I store the ladder there. Still use the bumper for the sewer hose. One advantage to this is the ladder (and consequently my clothes) doesn't get rust all over it.

lescarp2
08-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Appreciate the suggestions from everyone. I'll post the solution I end up employing.

dea3851
08-03-2011, 07:53 PM
I also have the locking bumper plug they work great for me on my Cougar 318SAB, lost one of the ones that came with my rigg. DON

chuck&gail
08-03-2011, 08:21 PM
I just drilled a hole all the way thru cap and bumper and drop a 8" screw in the hole. No way it can fall off now.

rjsurfer
08-04-2011, 01:54 AM
I agree with the others about not storing your sewer hoses in the bumper, not so much for the rust but the inside of the bumper is rough and the bouncing of the hose within it wears out the hoses quickly.

Ron W.

Johnnyfry
08-04-2011, 06:31 AM
On a similar note, I purchased a Rhino Hose sewer hose colapses firmly and stays that was of it's own accord. I is very easy to wash and, once collapsed I store it in a plastic bag. No more bumper baloney .

John

woowoobubba
08-22-2011, 12:57 PM
I don't even bother with the bumper to store sewer hose on the rig I have now. I mounted 4" PVC pipe under the frame to hold hose. On my old trailer, had the same issue. I drilled holes through the bumper and caps, and used a 4.5" bolt with nut to hold the caps in place.
Stevewill the the sewer hose slide into the 4' pvc pipe with both of the ends on the sewer hose ?

therink
08-22-2011, 01:38 PM
will the the sewer hose slide into the 4' pvc pipe with both of the ends on the sewer hose ?

Yes it fits well, including the adapter ends. I have a Rhinoflex hose. I dud have to trim off the 1/2" tabs off of the rv end fitting. I installed the 4" PVC pipe on the underside of the frame using galvanized plumbers straps. Drilled holes on the pipe so it vents/drains and convenient to access.
Steve

Tunagrande
01-18-2014, 03:35 PM
I have found that if you will drill a hole through the bumper, the cap and out through the bumper, top to bottom, and then drop a long nail or other pin down through the hole, it never falls out again, and easily removes just by pulling the pin! The rubber of the cap provides enough friction to keep the pin in place over some really rough roads.

PT RV`er
01-18-2014, 03:53 PM
I have a piece of 1/2in PVC pipe running thru my bumper with one end having the cap permanently attached to it. On the other end the cap slides over the PVC and a clevis pin holds it on. Been doing this for years and have never lost a cap since. It`s easy and cheap and you don`t have to drill thru anything but one end of the PVC pipe.

spicercars
01-18-2014, 05:03 PM
These are the only way to go. You can keep your bumper storage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-1-Locking-Bumper-Plug-Cap-Fits-4-Square-Bumper-/261089942117?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Acc essories&hash=item3cca2c5a65&vxp=mtr

golfpro
01-18-2014, 08:52 PM
a friend who owned a RV dealership told me to drill a hole in the top of the bumper through the cap and one in the bottom directly below the top hole and through the cap. then cut a clothes hanger long enough to go through both holes, bending the top of the hanger into a "J" and let the "J"
hang upside down so the rod doesn't fall to the ground and the caps will never come out again. if you drill in the middle so you can see through the cap and see where the rod must go through the bottom hole, that makes it easier to install the rod each time.

billb800si
01-21-2014, 04:32 PM
How about this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40325-Insect-Bumper-Cap/dp/B00C5RB03W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390350574&sr=8-1&keywords=No-Insect+RV+Bumper+Caps

No tax- free shipping....

Happy trails,