PDA

View Full Version : Current needed to run a/c?

Shawfamily
08-02-2011, 12:32 PM
We are traveling to our sister's house for the weekend with the trailer. I know that the standard hook-up is rated for 30A. I've also been told that if I buy a generator to get 3000-3500 watts. Unfortunatly we will have neither this weekend. She has told me that in the past, others have stayed there and ran their a/c off of a 20A outlet beside the garage. Is this enough to run a single a/c unit without damage as long as we don't run additional appliances?

hankpage
08-02-2011, 12:42 PM
With NOTHING ELSE on, I have run my A/C on a 20 amp circuit. Switch fridge to gas and use minimal lighting. (lights are 12v dc but the converter will draw on 120v ac) You should not have a problem. Enjoy, Hank :thumbsup:

Shawfamily
08-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks Hank.

therink
08-02-2011, 01:47 PM
With NOTHING ELSE on, I have run my A/C on a 20 amp circuit. Switch fridge to gas and use minimal lighting. (lights are 12v dc but the converter will draw on 120v ac) You should not have a problem. Enjoy, Hank :thumbsup:

Same here
Steve

chuck&gail
08-03-2011, 08:15 PM
We do that every time we go east and stay at friends houses. Only added comments I would make is do not use an extension cord if possible. If not possible, use a 30 amp extension, we carry one for that. Other thing is there are dogbone style converters from 20 to 30 amp, and there are small plug type converters. The dogbone type work better.

Be sure to check voltage inside RV when A/C is on. It should be at least 110 VAC. I do not run my A/C on a voltage below that. This summer the power companies are having a hard time keeping voltage where it needs to be to prevent damage.

Final note if you plan on doing this a lot, buy an autoformer to correct low voltage. Ours is a Hughes.