PDA

View Full Version : cougar278efs cheap frame, poor construction, bent

Umpie007
08-28-2009, 02:27 PM
:mad:i foung another forum where people had similar problems. i bought the camper used and didn't have much time to look it over. after purchasing it i looked underneath to see how to adjust the slide since it was off a little bit. after looking at the slide i noticed the reason for the binding was because the frame bent at the equalizer shackle in about 6 inches and starting to push up. talk about making me annoyed!. the frame was cracked in spots and pushing the other frame rail out. pulling it down the road you couldn't tell anything was wrong. due to the rust in the cracks it's been bent for a long time. i should have took my time looking it over. after seeing the construction of this camper it truly is a work of pathetic art. nice tall 6" Ibeams that are about 1/8" thick and almost no crossmember support. with the axles and springs off i can physically twist and pull the frame with my hands. rocking the camper while the wheels are on the ground looks scary. the whole frame twists and moves. it looks like those bridges that are going to collapse in the videos. i had it fixed for a price tag of 1400$ my question is...i saw a forum where people where talking about this same thing and one had mentioned "recall fix" does anyone know???? keystone is the biggest bunch of uncooperating %$#^&@%&!!!!! they won't call me back and they won't answer my emails. i'm pretty sure like i told them in my last email.....my next camper won't be one of theirs. any help would be nice

Flyguy
08-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Just one more reason to do a PDI before you purchase. Would you have bought the trailer if you knew all this beforehand?

Umpie007
08-28-2009, 03:44 PM
this might sound stupid but what is a PDI? and no i would have looked at other brands. i know now what to look for. my wifes grandfather made a comment to me when i said "Wow that Montana looks nice" and his reply to that was "overpriced for cheap construction, the frames are crap" and i didn't know that the the same company made the "cougar" model. i really like the camper. the floorplan is what we wanted and everything works but the oven autopilot. the roof doesn't leak. we like it. but everytime i hook up to it and pull it down the road and hit bridges and bumps and back into tight campsites where the tandems are flexing or pulling into off camber intersections and gas stations i can't help but get a sick to my stomach feeling that i have a terribly weak frame under my camper.
thanks for your input, i really like the design and stuff i just think they need to seriously rethink there structural integrity. because it is unsafe, especially if i'm not the only one that has this problem. and it isn't limited to my model i have seen other keystone models that have been talked about in the forums as well. it seems to be that these "1/2 ton towable models are the ones that have the problems"

Flyguy
08-28-2009, 04:35 PM
PDI stands for "Pre Delivery Inspection", and you can download a copy by going to my homepage, just click on "Flyguy" in the upper left of this post and from the dropdown menu that will appear, select "visit Flyguy's homepage", this will take you to the server's opening page, there in the middle of the page you will see the PDI, right click on the file and select "save target as" to download it to your computer or just click on it to open the file and read it, you can go through all the folders and headings to download manuals and "how to's" for your trailer and please be my guest to go through and download whatever interests you. Yes, in order to save weight, many times structural integrity is compromised, this is not only true for Keystone, but for all the manufactures, I think that Forest River RV does a good job of producing quality but their trailers do weigh more than most others, all of them are trying to find ways to make trailers light and strong, the aircraft industry has wrestled with this problem for many years.

Umpie007
08-28-2009, 05:56 PM
thank you for the advice. i will download your info. i hope all is well on the undercarriage. the trailer company welded 6" by 1/4" channel iron to the frame "and not vertical welds" horizontal stitch welds and then v'eed the outside edges toward center and welded. the channel iron extends just fore and aft of the spring shackles. he also welded 2" by 2" by 1/4" angle iron from shackle to shackle so that both rails support eachother...ie if one gives they both have to go. he also welded at the equalizer shackle a 45 degree piece of 3/8" by 2" strap iron from the angle iron to the frame. the guy looked at the frame and the wheels and what he saw is the back corner drivers side is supporting ALOT of weight. he owns a 38' fifth wheel so he understands that slides add weight. so on that frame rail he welded 2" by 2" by 3/8" tubing that goes from ahead the first shackle to just forward of the holding tank. by doing so it stopped my frame from sagging which was pushing my slide out up. which caused the binding. but after all that the slide still needed adjusted down as well as back. now it works like a dream. he knew right away the frame sagged at the slide because none of the graphics and trim lines matched up. a detail i missed. they were almost an inch low from back of slide to the camper wall. now even with a full tank the frame stays true at the slide. i'm happy with it but still nervous. i check before and after i trailer. if it starts again i'm dumping it.
thanks
erin