PDA

View Full Version : CPAP Battery supply?

mcomeaux
10-06-2018, 08:04 PM
Was wondering what one would do to run a RESMED10 on a battery supply.
We will be traveling here shortly and may be off grid a few nights. Any suggestions? I did purchase a 150w portable battery from Amazon but it would only power the unit 6 hrs.

B-O-B'03
10-06-2018, 09:27 PM
I am guessing the CPAP is a 110 volt unit?

If so, why not get a small inverter that will provide 110V from the RV batteries?

If the RV batteries need a charge and you are dry camping, a solar panel might be all that you need, depending on load, to keep the batteries charged.

-Brian

bobbecky
10-06-2018, 09:45 PM
They offer converters that will power your device from 12 volts DC. https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/support/treatment-and-maintenance/traveling-with-your-equipment.html

LCC
10-07-2018, 04:05 AM
Most of major CPAP manufacturers offer some sort of portable battery supply for use with their equipment, but often they are expensive and generally supply power for brief periods of use (usually on the order of hours). One trick I have seen used in the Missionary field and in other situations where users will be off grid for extended periods of time includes a deep cycle battery and an appropriate “clip on” inverter. CPAP run time is usually measured in days and the only down side being bulk. In fact, I’ve seen that set up in a number of brick and mortar homes that are subject to frequent power outages or are remote from the local utility providers and whose electrical service is slow to be restored after outages.

travelin texans
10-07-2018, 07:04 AM
They offer converters that will power your device from 12 volts DC. https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/support/treatment-and-maintenance/traveling-with-your-equipment.html

That would be an "inverter".

JRTJH
10-07-2018, 07:05 AM
The air pump in a CPAP is not the "power consumer". It's the heating circuit for the humidifier. The humidifier can be turned off as can the heating element for the "hose temperature". With those two features off, the system will run on a "Shumacher jump starter/inverter/compressor" for 3 nights (about 20 hours).

There are other means to power the CPAP, buying a 12VDC adapter for the device, buying a "stand alone inverter" and using the trailer battery being the most popular.

Here is the Shumacher jump starter we use. It's available at Lowe's and many other stores. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Schumacher-Electric-1200-Amp-Car-Battery-Jump-Starter/1000569111

bobbecky
10-07-2018, 09:18 PM
That would be an "inverter".

The description on their site indicates the device connects directly to 12 vdc to power the cpap machine and works just like the battery. Don’t know what the standard battery voltage is, so possibly the conversion is from 12 V to whatever the cpap needs for voltage.

mazboy
10-08-2018, 03:31 AM
you could plug it into your 110 volt receptacle in your truck:-)

fixn2gocamp
10-08-2018, 03:56 AM
I am in the process of installing a pure sine inverter in our Passport Elite TT to power my Resmed CPAP. Resmed advised me that it would require a 300/500W pure sine inverter.

Canskan
10-10-2018, 03:02 PM
This is what I bought for my 5th...Installed a 12v socket next to my side of bed...runs off system 12v (2 parallel connected group 31 AGM batteries) 🙂

Canskan
10-10-2018, 03:05 PM
It makes 12v dc into 24v dc.

barnmichael
10-10-2018, 03:36 PM
I used to use a CPAP. The basic unit ran off 12V provided by the line lump power supply. I disconnected the humidifier when traveling and just got a 12V power cord with the appropriate connector that plugged into the cigar lighter socket by the TV. Ran fine all night. You do want to verify your particular unit does indeed run from 12V. All the ones I have seen do, but never hurts to be sure.

Canskan
10-10-2018, 04:43 PM
Here are the specs for the Airsense 10 AC power supply...showing 24v dc output..... therefore if using 12v in then 24vdc out is required.

Canskan
10-11-2018, 05:46 AM
A direct conversion from 12v to 24vdc is more efficient than going from 12v through an inverter to make 110vAc ...then back through the Airsence10 power supply to 24vdc.
Each device that makes a conversion along the chain is never 100% efficient and therefore unnecessarily wastes power. Simply...If a device gets even slightly warm while doing its job of converting...that's wasted power that could otherwise be used to run the Cpap machine.

travelin texans
10-11-2018, 07:08 AM
you could plug it into your 110 volt receptacle in your truck:-)

If your truck has that option.
Then what, sleep in the truck with the motor running?

fable081
04-25-2019, 04:11 AM
I have the same cord as Cancam but I also carry a self contained Deep Cycle Power Pack as my alternate 12 volt source (see pic). My Resmed CPAP will run for 3 nights before requiring a recharge. I trickle charge it as we travel so it is always ready as a backup.

fordmd
07-21-2019, 05:38 AM
Most trucks, all that I have worked on, the truck would have to run all night,

fordmd
07-21-2019, 05:43 AM
This is what I bought for my 5th...Installed a 12v socket next to my side of bed...runs off system 12v (2 parallel connected group 31 AGM batteries) 🙂
I know this post is old, and I’m late to the party. We have two machines to run, and I’m new to not have 110 volts all night! How long are you able to run? All night with the two batteries would be fine for me. Do you run the humidifier or shut it down to conserve?

NH_Bulldog
07-21-2019, 06:50 AM
My CPAP uses 110vac or 12-24vdc. Any time you use an inverter to change DC to AC and then back to DC you lose a lot of energy. It is best to get the manufacturer’s pure sine converter and run straight off DC. I installed a 12v power point next to my bed and it works great. If this is a onetime thing or a rare event, I would just use the 12v port on a battery booster pack. It will last two nights and you can always charge it off the vehicle if it ran low

larryflew
07-24-2019, 10:08 PM
I also just added a 12 volt cig lighter socket and run off the trailer batteries.
Have only used it for the occasional 1 nighter with no problems.

fordmd
07-25-2019, 05:31 AM
I also just added a 12 volt cig lighter socket and run off the trailer batteries.
Have only used it for the occasional 1 nighter with no problems.
Thanks. I just ordered two of the 12 volt power supplies from the cpap manufacturer. I’ve also bought two sockets and materials to install. We need to run two machines, but I have two 12 volt deep cycles. I think we’ll be ok. One night is all that’s required. I can charge during the day.

NH_Bulldog
07-25-2019, 05:36 AM
The biggest power hog is the humidifier. My ResMed S8 has a detachable humidifier that I only use in the dry winter months. Without the humidifier, you should be able to run two units for two days easy. I keep a booster pack charged and ready to go just in case

JRTJH
07-25-2019, 05:40 AM
My DW uses a CPAP. We use a Schumacher 1100 (with an inverter) to power hers when we're dry camping. It's "dedicated to power her CPAP only and doesn't power anything else. If she uses the humidifier, she can get one night's use. If she turns off the humidifier, she gets 3+ nights on the power supply.

You might have a problem with the increased power required to heat the water for humidification. Experiment with your battery system, maybe it'll run the humidifiers on two CPAP's for a night, maybe it won't (depending on what other drains are on the batteries from other RV related systems based on the way you camp. If you have an excessive battery drain, consider trying without the humidifier. It tripled my DW's CPAP time by turning the humidifier off.

fordmd
07-25-2019, 05:46 AM
The biggest power hog is the humidifier. My ResMed S8 has a detachable humidifier that I only use in the dry winter months. Without the humidifier, you should be able to run two units for two days easy. I keep a booster pack charged and ready to go just in case
I’ve thought about that. Ours need the tank installed, it’s part of the air flow, but I can turn the humidifier heater off. I’ll try them that way first. Thanks!

fordmd
07-25-2019, 05:49 AM
My DW uses a CPAP. We use a Schumacher 1100 (with an inverter) to power hers when we're dry camping. It's "dedicated to power her CPAP only and doesn't power anything else. If she uses the humidifier, she can get one night's use. If she turns off the humidifier, she gets 3+ nights on the power supply.

You might have a problem with the increased power required to heat the water for humidification. Experiment with your battery system, maybe it'll run the humidifiers on two CPAP's for a night, maybe it won't (depending on what other drains are on the batteries from other RV related systems based on the way you camp. If you have an excessive battery drain, consider trying without the humidifier. It tripled my DW's CPAP time by turning the humidifier off.
Wow. Great information, thanks! I love all the responses I’ve recieved. This forum is so helpful. I’m just returning to camping and this is my current wife’s first RV and she’s loving it. As long as I can get past these little hurdles we can hit the mountains! Empty nest celebrations!

foldbak
07-25-2019, 07:28 AM
Was wondering what one would do to run a RESMED10 on a battery supply.
We will be traveling here shortly and may be off grid a few nights. Any suggestions? I did purchase a 150w portable battery from Amazon but it would only power the unit 6 hrs.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/bps-freedom-travel-cpap-battery-only?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItOmCvLDQ4wIVqh6tBh0tXAxVEAQ YAyABEgKHLfD_BwE

Great unit! Runs the CPAP all night. Recharges quickly, Comes with all connectors and can recharge your cell phones!

Roscommon48
07-25-2019, 08:29 AM
simple answer is to get a generator or not go off grid. Also, i think your truck has a 110volt plug, just run that if you want too.

JRTJH
07-26-2019, 02:53 PM
simple answer is to get a generator or not go off grid. Also, i think your truck has a 110volt plug, just run that if you want too.

All the inverters in trucks that I've seen only operate when the ignition is turned on. There are alternative "work arounds" to still go off the grid, you (actually the OP) just needs to explore which "work around" is best for his needs.

mcomeaux
08-05-2019, 01:22 PM
So if I get one of those battery/jumper power packs she would be able to plug into the 110 and run all night without the heating element.

JRTJH
08-05-2019, 01:30 PM
Yes, with the qualification that it'll ONLY supply power IF the battery pack in the battery/jumper power pack is large enough. Ours is a Schumacher 1100 and we can power one ResMed CPAP without humidification for 3 days before needing to recharge.

GeekSquadOfUn
08-05-2019, 03:54 PM
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/bps-freedom-travel-cpap-battery-only?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItOmCvLDQ4wIVqh6tBh0tXAxVEAQ YAyABEgKHLfD_BwE

Great unit! Runs the CPAP all night. Recharges quickly, Comes with all connectors and can recharge your cell phones!

If I'm not mistaken the ResMed requires 24V.

The specs says it supplies 12v, it may not work with your model...

JRTJH
08-05-2019, 04:22 PM
If I'm not mistaken the ResMed requires 24V.

The specs says it supplies 12v, it may not work with your model...

My DW's ResMed requires 24 VDC or 120VAC. That's the reason I bought the Schumacher with the inverter. Trying to adapt or build a 24VDC supply that's reliable and portable enough for use in a travel trailer is daunting and/or expensive. The ResMed battery system approaches $300 and is only good for 1 night before recharge. The Schumacher was $79 on sale at Lowe's and provides 3 nights of power before requiring recharge. For me, it seemed like a "good enough compromise"....

fordmd
08-05-2019, 05:45 PM
My DW's ResMed requires 24 VDC or 120VAC. That's the reason I bought the Schumacher with the inverter. Trying to adapt or build a 24VDC supply that's reliable and portable enough for use in a travel trailer is daunting and/or expensive. The ResMed battery system approaches $300 and is only good for 1 night before recharge. The Schumacher was $79 on sale at Lowe's and provides 3 nights of power before requiring recharge. For me, it seemed like a "good enough compromise"....
Mine and my wife’s resumes have a 24 volt input. For our machines they sell a power supply with a 12 volt input and 24 volt output. I believe I paid $160 for 2 supplies. Then ran 12 volt accessory sockets, (still hard to not say cigarette lighter socket), 1 to each side of the bed. With 2 12 volt group 24’s, I had no issues with one night. I’m positive with no charging I can get 2+ nights. 2 machines, $200 and we can sleep easy.

JRTJH
08-06-2019, 03:36 AM
Brian,
Thanks, good to know information. I'll check out that 12:24 VDC converter.

fordmd
08-06-2019, 05:24 AM
Brian,
Thanks, good to know information. I'll check out that 12:24 VDC converter.

This is the one for our devices.

https://www.directhomemedical.com/resmed-airsense-10-cpap-dc-power-cord.html

GeekSquadOfUn
08-06-2019, 06:02 AM
Agree 100%.

Checking for sales on it... Need one too.