PDA

View Full Version : Springdale 279 Mods

kingji
07-31-2011, 04:41 PM
I've been busy on our 2011 Springdale 279 fifth wheel. Started out with just adding two more batteries for a total of 300amph capacity. I then wired in a plug-in socket for a portable 85 watt panel with a Go Power 25 amp charger controller. Next upgrade was Steadfast front stabilizers on the landing gear. Got to reading about the SeeLevel tank monitors so I had to try one of those. I went with the four tank, water heater lighter,battery charge level and pump switch version. I really like knowing the exact levels. Today I finished installing a model 4000 Fantastic Fan and extending the platform under the bed mattress to accomodate a regular queen mattress. Almost forgot, I also built and installed a 2" reciever hitch for pulling a small utility trailer and fourwheeler. I'm ready to get back to work tomorrow and catch up on my rest. Reading to take it on a trip. I have a ten day elk hunt the first of September so I should be set with the camper. About out of ideas and dollars but so far I think I did some good upgrades.
Jk

Flyguy
07-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Your the kind of RV guy that I love to see! Go get em tiger!

JRTJH
07-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Kingji,

I also have a 2011 Springdale. Are any of your holding tanks insulated? or are they open under the flooring? Also, is your elevated portion (with Pinbox) insulated? or is the framework open under the flooring? I'm looking for ideas to cover the upper deck framework, but haven't come up with any good ideas yet. I did buy the black corrugated plastic roll material to cover the bottom of the trailer, I plan to put 2" block foam insulation in the space, then cover the bottom.

Any ideas? Hmmmmmm :)

kingji
08-01-2011, 08:24 AM
The tanks are not insulated nor the chasis under the upper bedroom area. I'm assuming your camper is enclosed on the bottom being a 2011. The tanks do get some heat from the heater ducting to the underside. I used mine last January with tempertures in upper 20's to 30's at night and didn't have any problems with freezing. The upper, sleeping area really stays warm due to it being higher in the camper so I wouldn't insulate the underside of that.
Jk

JRTJH
08-02-2011, 03:53 PM
The bottom of my trailer is NOT enclosed. From the carpet/linoleum down, I think it's: carpet, 5/8" OSB, 2x3" joists (with insulation), DARCO wrap, frame rails/crossmembers (with tanks hanging on them). The entire floor system sits ABOVE the frame rails and nothing is covered below the rails.

There is a piece of corrogated plastic under the fresh water tank only, the other tanks are open to the air as is the entire frame.

My concern with this setup is the lack of protection to the tanks from rocks/corrosive salt/etc as well as temperature. I think that if I put rigid foam in the spaces between the rails, the furnace air which is currently directed to the fresh water tank only, will find its way to the other tanks and protect them a few degrees cooler. Of course the corrogated plastic will seal all of this from the elements (hopefully)

As for the underside of the king pin area, I'm thinking that some sort of underside cover may help smooth the air flow and maybe keep things a bit cleaner in that area.

You mentioned that "mine being a 2011, you guessed the bottom was covered. What caused you to think that?

kingji
08-02-2011, 08:16 PM
If your underside is not covered I think your idea of insulating it with the 2" sheet insulation would work, I always thought that rolled insullation they use on metal buildings would work well also. It might be a little easier to work with, just inclosing it would help a lot. The residual heat working it's way through the floor will put a little heat in the bottom. I was just assuming that all 2011 had the underbelly inclosed. I guess you know what happens when you assume though. Hope it all works out.
JK

JRTJH
08-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Is your 2011 enclosed? I might be able to talk to Keystone "if something was missed" :)

kingji
08-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Yes it is, I think they used it to keep all the wires from dragging on the highwhay. Just kidden Keystone. Seriously, they could have done a lot better job cleaning up the wiring. Tie wraps are really cheap. I do believe the enclosed bottom makes the RV a little more aerodynamic than without it, plus it gives you one more layer of protection against cold weather and pest trying to climb aboard.
jk