PDA

View Full Version : Adding a Second Battery

E597283
07-28-2011, 10:53 AM
I just purchased a 2011 Passport 2910BH which came standard with one 12v battery. When I put it in storage (I dont store at my house) for 2 weeks or so the battery goes dead. I was thinking of adding another one not just for this but for longer dry camping. Is this an easy process. Is it worth it. Whats the diference between car batteries and Marine/RV ones?

hankpage
07-28-2011, 12:55 PM
I just purchased a 2011 Passport 2910BH which came standard with one 12v battery. When I put it in storage (I dont store at my house) for 2 weeks or so the battery goes dead. I was thinking of adding another one not just for this but for longer dry camping. Is this an easy process. Is it worth it. Whats the diference between car batteries and Marine/RV ones?

Marine/RV deep cycle batteries are designed so they can be run down often and recharged quickly without damage. As for your battery going dead in storage you might want to consider a disconnect switch to turn off everything. If you do a forum search for "disconnect switch" you should find many posts about them.

Terrydactile
07-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Your battery is going dead in that short time from a residual draw from things such as the radio and propane detector. Like posted above if you have/add a disconnect switch you can prevent this draw, or you can disconnect the battery.

mhs4771
07-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Have had dual batteries on our past 2 TT and now on our 5er. Ditto the fact that there is some 12V draw all the time. Even if you rig has a built-in Battery disconnect, it might not disconnect everything. A second battery will pospone going dead, but if stored long enough both will be dead. Battery disconnect switch, avail at most Auto Parts stores. Goes right on the battery between the post and cable, will shut everything down.

THedges
07-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Very easy, if you are going with two 12v batteries connect positive to positive and negative to negative.

If you go with two 6v golf cart batteries connect positive lead from trailer to positive post on one battery then the negative on that battery is connected to the positive on the second battery and the the negative lead from the trailer connects to the negative post on the second battery. This is my setup and I am very pleased with it.

I would definitely go with a deep cycle battery.