PDA

View Full Version : The KOA Thread

Crazy Canucks
07-24-2011, 06:47 PM
We will be staying at several over the next few weeks and during our travels south next winter. We will rate them from 1 to 5. Feel free to add the ones you have stayed at and please use the same rating system :thumbsup:

richf28
07-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Great Idea.I've stayed in KOA campgrounds throughout the US lower 48 numerous times throughout the last 10 years. Found some real dives and some exceptionally nice ones. Can't remember all of course but I will list a couple this year.

Meadville, PA. :( (2) Owners a bit moody. Employees inexperienced. Nice sites but need a bit of updating in the facilities.Check your site out they give you and ask for a change if not happy.

Westfield, NY :) (4) Friendly Staff. Updating the office and store. Nice to see the money is being put back into the place. Sites not large but they are very accomidating to get you comfortable.

cumminsdad08
07-25-2011, 04:17 PM
KOA in jonestown pa-(4) can't remeber the exact name, but it was nice, just off of interstate I78, and right on St. Rt. 22, new owners in the last few years, lots seemed level, doggie area was in an akward place, in a corner that would be a hike for most sites, store was small and fairly empty, playground was ok, kinda small. not very impressed with the pool, seemed small but it was early spring so it was closed, oh and the ice cream was very expensive, but good. cable didn't work(new system), BUT there is great reception for antene, and didn't use the WiFi.

KOA in pinegrove, PA (3.75 ) (Twin groves)- it is few miles off of Inerstate 81 (pinegrove exit 100), right on St. Rt. 443, and very close to the appalacian(SP) trail. been there as a visitor in the past, and it seemed nice, with lots of "attractions". kinda pricey (UPDATE) stayed here over labor day weekend. site's are average size. just planted new grass so there is a lot of netting holding down the straw that the kids, and wife's, keep triping over. they also planted trees between the sites, which not being a problem now, seems like in 10-15 years it will make it tricky to navigate your trailer in (backin sites). this is defenetly(?) a "high roller" "resort" if you know what i mean. everyone seems really really nice, guests and owners. they have a small "amusment park" with some blow up rides a ferris wheel and a small train ride. they have a small arcade and an AWSOME ICE CREAM SHOP. i would have given it a 4 but the location sucks. a bunch of storms really sneek up on you, its tucked between two mountains and you don't see the storms coming. and there is a few other things that made me a little grumpy, BUT, i will be returning here for holloween weekend with my inlaws. they have TON'S of cabins which makes it nice for the family members that don't have the time to camp as much as we do. WIFI worked everytime, and cable had about 27 channels with all the hot stations.

North Texas Camper
08-02-2011, 08:00 PM
We've had great experiences http://koa.com/campgrounds/carlsbad/ (4) and not so great experiences http://koa.com/campgrounds/amarillo/.(2) The people make a big difference.

GMcKenzie
08-03-2011, 07:41 AM
KOA at Wells Grey, north of Kamloops BC. Maybe a 3. Stayed there a week and would stay there again if I wanted to be in the area but would not make a point of it.

Recent trip to Grand Canyon/Vegas.

KOA at Meridian Idaho (3), only stayed on night (planned that way) but nothing exciting.

KOA in Salt Lake City (4-4.5) Liked it and would stay there again. Nice big lots and the staff were helpful. Even got to watch a Stanley Cup playoff game on their satellite.

KOA in Twin Falls Idaho (4) Except for the construction mess getting to the park, was also nice. Again, friendly helpful staff.

KOA Ellensburg WA. (4) Nice site on a river. Again only stayed 1 night but liked the campsite.

KanTC
08-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Agree with prior rating for KOA Carlsbad (4) http://koa.com/campgrounds/carlsbad --- Sites are well-spaced, and grounds & restrooms are very clean.
Staff & owners are friendly, and office/store has basic supplies/groceries. Trees are young, so there's little to no shade... be prepared for summer
sun & spring winds in the desert! Basic cable TV, WiFi was good. Didn't use pool, hot tub, laundry, dog walk, or snack bar/cafe. For us, it's only
15 miles away and a good place for new RV shake-down trips. ;) [Last stay: Apr 2010]

KOA Memphis (3) http://koa.com/campgrounds/memphis --- Just off Interstate 55, Exit 14, approx 3 miles north of Marion, Arkansas (northwest of Memphis, TN).
An older KOA, so sites & interior roads are a bit narrow, but wasn't a problem. Staff was very friendly and office, grounds, pool/facilities were clean & modern.
Some pull-thru's. Big trees/shade throughout most of park, so satellite reception may only be available at perimeter sites. No cable TV, but antenna reception okay.
Didn't use WiFi. Pricey for overnight IMHO, but a convenient stop along I-55. [Stayed: July 2010]
UPDATE: Summer 2011, call ahead if possible - some RV Parks along Mississippi River were damaged/closed due to spring floods & tornados...
this KOA was busy & probably will be until other parks are repaired.

Festus2
08-21-2011, 07:10 AM
I would be interested in what the average campsite rate you have been paying at the various KOA's you have been staying at. Sounds like you are a member and would get a discount...????

Festus2
08-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Average cost ....$60... OUCH!!!

byrdr1
08-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Fancy Gap, VA KOA (http://www.koa.com/where/va/46183/)
We have stayed at this campground several times.
It is a good place to stay if you want to explorer the Blue Ridge parkway, Hillsville, Va area. It is also a good place to stay over night if you are traveling on I-77 south or north. from the south its right at the top of Fancy Gap mountian just inside VA, from the north it is several miles south of the I-81 and I-77 junction.
Go down the mountian on US-52 and you're in Mt Airy(Mayberry, USA)NC. lots to do and see in this town. We have stayed in the summer and have gone back in the fall for the fall leave watching & halloween.

dave-g
08-25-2011, 02:20 AM
twin mountain in NH http://koa.com/campgrounds/twin-mountain/photos/ 4+. went there 2 years ago, super clean great staff.

Bar harbor ocean side- http://koa.com/campgrounds/bar-harbor-oceanside/
4+++. paid 90+ for a ocean front site and worth it, almost. Did not have a sewer hook up and it was 35 for a pump out. At $90+ honey truck should be included.

I have found or the most part- camp ground that are 60-80 per night have the money to keep the place nice and seem family oriented. I'm always glad to pay more for a good looking place.

CampJKL
08-25-2011, 12:31 PM
We've had great experiences http://koa.com/campgrounds/carlsbad/ (4) and not so great experiences http://koa.com/campgrounds/amarillo/.(2) The people make a big difference.

Glad to hear about the Carlsbad KOA...its there or Branson for Christmas Break.

dave-g
08-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Spent friday night here-
http://koa.com/campgrounds/williamsport/

very nice people. clean- new owner ( a few years ago) doing a great job.

I left my rv there- to ride out the storm.

Bigpuddie
08-28-2011, 12:41 AM
We just stayed at the KOA in Harpers Ferry,WVA and had a great time. 2miles from Historical Harpers Ferry, next to battlefiled, close to Charlestown and shopping. You can go tubing or rafting/kayaking down the nearby rivers, hike trails from the KOA. They have a very nice pool and lots for kids to do. I give it a 4.5!:thumbsup:

Jim W
09-13-2011, 06:45 AM
We just got back from a trip out west to Rocky Mountain National Park and Yellowstone National Park. We stayed at several KOA's on the way out and back.
1. Des Moines West KOA (Adel IA), 3.5 good level site all gravel roads and site. FHU, 50amp sites, pull thru, $37.95 with KOA discount. Easy on and off from I80, but far enough away not to hear highway noise.

2. Hardin MT KOA, 4.5 Great owners, will help you set up if needed and will show you were to park. Park is old, number 4 KOA park but will maintained. FHU, 50amp sites, pull Thur, $38.04 with KOA discount.

3. Bismarck ND KOA, 4.5 Good sites, some seasonal campers but in a different area. Sites have a grass area and trees/bushes blocking other sites views. FHU, 50amp sites, pull Thur, $44.10 with KOA discount.

4. Oakdale WI KOA, 3.5 Great owner he cleans and sanitize the water spigot before you hook-up to the fresh water supply. Level long site, easy on and off from I90/94, but not far enough away to hear highway noise. Our site was less than 1/4 mile from I90/94. Durning the night it is bright enough to read a book outside from street lights and from lighted highway signs. FHU, 50amp sites, pull thru, $37.89 with KOA discount.

Jim W.

campingcpl
09-15-2011, 08:44 AM
We are planning a trip to Yellowstone this next May and we will be leaving northern Indiana and traveling up to North East South Dakota for a few days then heading to Yellowstone from there. We are planning on stopping for the night in Miles City, MT. and was looking at staying at the KOA there (http://koa.com/campgrounds/miles-city/). I was wondering if anyone has stayed at this KOA and can give me some insight on it? There hasn't been a lot of reviews on this KOA and the reviews have been pretty mixed from good to bad. From the web sit it looks like it's pretty clean but have learned in the past that web sits can be decieving. Any input would be appreciated or any suggestions on another campground in the area would be appreciated too.
Thanks!

cumminsdad08
09-18-2011, 05:50 PM
we Just returned from the "Allentown" (really more like New Tripoli) KOA: (4) they advertise in allentown, but really about 30 min west of allentown,(which worked for us:rofl:). it was very nice, alcohol free which was a nice change up. they are very strict with rules tho, which is fine buy us cause we are too:rofl: wifi was very good, prolly cause the place is very small. we were in site 56 which was right along the creek, and was very wide, but kinda short. i almost needed cones for the front of the trailer. seemed like a nice mix up of seasonals and transits. the playgrounds were extreamely nice and kept the children busy for sevral hours. they do have a hiking trial with a really crappy "senic overlook". i didn't see a peice of trash sit very long at all. the empolyee's were on top of everything. we didn't take the pup with this time, we were rushed out of the house after work, but i did take notice that the doggie area was really out of the way, actually it was in the drive way "outside" of the campground, so it was prolly a good idea to leave her home this time. the wash house's were at the office, which i would have thought to be a little out of the way. they claimed to have a "satalite restroom" but we never did find that one. i would have given this campground a 5 but there really wasn't a whole lot to do, but watch the kids play and sit around the fire. which isn't a totally bad thing, but it does get old after a few hours. all in all it was nice. almost every review i have seen was not very good, but dont' let them scare you away. we stayed here on a buy one night get one night free. we will return, again, at somepoint.

as a side note, we went to the lehigh valley zoo, and it was small, but by far the best zoo we been too yet. only 10 mins away:cool:

Bugsy432
10-02-2011, 06:07 PM
We have been KOA members for the past 5 years. Most are good but there are 1 or 2 we've been to I won't return to. The ones that stand out as great are:

Sugarloaf Key KOA - Especially popular with snowbirds and sites aren't the largest but, it's a clean and fun place. Pricey - $104/night:dizzy:

Hatteras KOA - Very family friendly and like Sugarloaf, right on the Atlantic ocean. Clean, nice size sites and friendly folks.....:thumbsup:

Festus2
10-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Bugsy:
Surely, you must be kidding! $104 per night!!! Other than being a "clean and a fun place" what other goodies do you get for that outrageous price?? Does that include meals? You have just reinforced my impression of KOA ----- vastly overpriced and highly over-rated. They do have, however, a lot of nerve!

hankpage
10-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Bugsy:
Surely, you must be kidding! $104 per night!!! Other than being a "clean and a fun place" what other goodies do you get for that outrageous price?? Does that include meals? You have just reinforced my impression of KOA ----- vastly overpriced and highly over-rated. They do have, however, a lot of nerve!

Land is at a premium in the Key's. This I understand ...but .... You guys aren't gonna believe this ... I'm speechless, Hank

hankaye
10-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Howdy ALL;

Thing to remember about the Fl. Keys, EVERYTHING has to be shipped in except the seafood and sunshine.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ they add up quick.

hankaye

I ain't speechless I'm chuckling Place I'm headed to in N.M. is $125.00 per Month + elect. @ 15 cents k/hr ...:bdance: :bdance: :bdance:

Exsailor
10-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Thing I've never understood is why such a wide array of service levels in KOA. With a national chain you would expect more standardization. If you get a big Mac in Georgia or Oregon the food and crappy service are about the same. I've never understood KOA.

hankaye
10-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Howdy All;

Las Vegas, New Mexico! KOA;

http://koa.com/campgrounds/las-vegas-new-mexico/

Great place to stay! Rascal and I enjoyed the night we spent there.
Well maintained. Folks were very friendly. Have a small restraunt out back of the office. Denny cooks the best Green Chili cheesburger I've had so far. had the other 2 in other parts of N.M.
$35.and change for the night with discount (VFW, AARP and a few others).
Just East of I-25 South of town.

hankaye

jramsey
01-10-2012, 06:07 PM
My wife and I stayed at the KOA in Willitts California on our return trip from Oregon. Beatiful setting and very well maintained. Great place for the kids with a small water park, petting zoo and fish pond. It also has disk golf and great hiking trails. all for about $65. It is just a couple of miles west of the town of Willitts off of Hiway 101 towards Fort Bragg.

Jim & Kay
02-05-2012, 06:34 AM
Red Lodge KOA, Red Lodge, MT (2) Our stay was July 2011. Nice owner & employees but the campground needed lots of work. Had not been mowed, no gravel, etc... But Red Lodge sits at the base of the Bear Tooth Mts. an awesome site that is a must see. The small western town of Red Lodge was very nice.

Dubois KOA, Dubois, WY (-1) Aug. 2011, The Dust Bowl of Wyoming. Dust was several inches thick every where and the owners road around on a golf cart at break neck speed stirring it up. The old western town and Cowboy Cafe were great. Also, enjoyed the Big Horn Sheep Museum in town.

Have stayed at other KOA's in the past that were very nice and some not so.

ColoradoKeystone
02-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Has anyone stayed at the KOA in Estes Park, Co. ? We just booked it for the Irish Fest. It was 66.00 a night including our disc for being a member. Just wanted to know if it is worth the money.

mic1hael
03-15-2012, 11:57 AM
In my opinion the KOA in Astoria, Oregon is the best KOA my family and I have stayed at. Some sites are paved while other sites are secluded and there is plenty to do for the whole family including a wonderful pancake breakfast. If you're ever in oregon this is the KOA to stay at. Plus your only minutes away from the coast.:thumbsup:

jje1960
03-15-2012, 02:56 PM
We have stayed at the KOA's for years, renew our card every year even though we may not stay that year. We get points now, get free camping after point level achievement.

chris199
05-27-2012, 02:57 AM
DW and I spent the night at the KOA in Wytheville, VA (pronouned withville).

Not really impressed at all. Was great for a 1 night pass thru. Seleted a pull thru sight via after hrs check in. Wouldn't stay here for a weekend or extended trip.....pull thru sites very narrow. Would stay here again for 1 night while travelling. Very close to highway.....rts 81 and 77.

Cabins had a fence immed out front with camp sites right on the other side....didn't seem fair to cabin renters.

** out of 5

Jseverence
05-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Recently stayed at the Natural Bridges KOA, in Va. It is very convent to Interstate 81, but not close enough that you could hear the highway noise. The staff was both friendly and efficient. My DW said the lady facilities where very clean. We choose this KOA based upon it was a mid point on a visit to Charleston, SC from upstate NY. On the way down, we chose only electric and water hook up. the site was small but sufficient for out 32 ft. Outback and we were only staying the night. ($40 with KOA discount). On the way back we did the same thing but with pull through and full hookup. ( $60). to sum it up, it was a safe, clean and convent and would use it again on future trips.

jbsmith
06-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Curious if anyone has ever stayed at the KOA in Hocking Hills, OH or if there is a better campground for a no-kids, long weekend outing with the DW.

fla-gypsy
06-01-2012, 06:27 PM
I have stayed at one KOA. Pprobably will never stay at another one. I am a state park/COE/NFS kind of camper. Average cost less than $30 a night.

gkainz
06-02-2012, 07:42 AM
I'm a National Forest boondocker but my wife is a KOA Kamper so we alternate or compromise with NF or State campgrounds

PA5er
06-04-2012, 05:32 PM
We just stayed at the KOA in Harpers Ferry,WVA and had a great time. 2miles from Historical Harpers Ferry, next to battlefiled, close to Charlestown and shopping. You can go tubing or rafting/kayaking down the nearby rivers, hike trails from the KOA. They have a very nice pool and lots for kids to do. I give it a 4.5!:thumbsup:

X2. We were there a year ago. Had a great stay.

rode2nowhere
06-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Bowling Green Kentucky koa., pricey, sites good, right off interstate, needed updating imo.

dksd39
06-12-2012, 01:40 PM
We are just completing a 15 day 2k mile trip all of which was spent on private property until tonight. We decided to split our last days drive and pulled into the KOA in Calhoun GA. This is my first KOA stay and have to say..If they are all like this place I will be giving more of them a try. We were greeted with smiles and treats for our dogs then minutes after being in our spot the cart pulled up with fresh hot chocolate chip cookies. They have a cute little petting zoo with friendly animals. One of the most beautiful peacocks I have ever seen and even offer food delivery to your spot made to order.

bennydog
06-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Currently in the Klamath Falls OR KOA. Got here Thursday night so the DW could participate in the Master Regional Rowing competition. We're here thru Monday and then headed for Lassen NP where we'll stay in the park. Nice folks and just on the edge of town so close to the rowing. I use KOA's mostly as on the way places to stay, great for one night as the are usually close to the main road, and mostly clean. If it were not for the racing I would not spend 4 nights in one. Rather be up in Crater Lake.

B

fred1609
06-16-2012, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't go to a CG unless I checked it out on RVparkreviews.com I get one big trip a year for 3-4 weeks and I want to stay in good campgrounds.

gahanunda
07-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Spent 6 days at Association Island KOA on eastern end of Lake Ontario in Henderson Harbor. Very clean and friendly staff. Has its own marina and rental kayacks and canoes. We enjoyed our stay

cathcartww
07-09-2012, 04:30 PM
We prefer state parks, etc. but occassionally a KOA happens to be the best option near where we want to be. Since we do not have kids, and tend to travel during the off season, we really never take advantage of all the activities and ameneties that most KOAs offer. Ones we have stayed in recently:

KOA Virginia Beach, VA (4): Twice now, because of high winds, they would not let us on the Bay Bridge Tunnel, so we ended up in the KOA for the night. Seems nice enough, with a variety of different types of sites from tent to full hookup pull throughs . Not that close to the beach, but I was told they offer a free shuttle during the season. Depending on the wind direction, the adjacent Navy Air Station can be noisy, but the planes are fun to watch, and shut down at night. Around $60

KOA 1000 Islands/Ivy Lea Ontario, Canada: (5) very nice park just full of families, and bustling with activities. Had a deluxe site with patio with furniture, fireplace, etc. for around $60 a night.

KOA St. Augustine, FL (4): Could not get reservations at Anastasia SP, so ended up in the KOA for like $75 a night. Pretty place with a nice duck pond, paved sites, pool, etc. Close to downtown and the beaches - right up the street from the State Park.

Fayatteville/Wade KOA, NC: (4) We usually stop for the night at Pedro's Campground at South of the Border for $22, but it was Academy Award night and Pedro's didn't have cable. Got a pull though grass site (no sewer) for like $35. Was off season, and most guests were snowbirds like us, but it seemed to have all the KOA stuff. They have since installed some bare bones pull throughs right at the gate for transients, but I do not know what they charge.

Just a note about the Florida Keys - daily rates are high. Even if you manage to get into one of the State Parks, sites are $38 and don't have sewer and stay is limited to two weeks. You will be hard pressed to find a private campground for less that $100/ night. We paid $125 at Gieger Key for a waterfront site with full hookups last February, and it was fantastic! New Mexico is nice, but it is pretty far from the Ocean .....

Lack of HP
07-09-2012, 05:49 PM
If you are in the midwest around Branson, Mo. I would highly recommend the Branson KOA. They have the best customer service and best accomodating staff of any KOA I have stayed at. Average price with a KOA card deluxe site about $45.

One KOA I would not recommend or stay at again is the Nashville KOA. $60. plus and no sleep for the weekly drunk day workers. Can not believe they allow it to be called a KOA.

joestaz
08-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Here at Twin Falls/Jerome KOA. Dusty. Don't take full pull thru # 13. Needed 3 2x8's to try to get level on curb side and still not level..Owners not at all helpful,

stormy2000
09-13-2012, 05:51 PM
great idea! wife and I just got our new TT and are going full-time. what is the rating system based on? we are brand new to full time and campgrounds, any info will help thank you much : )

bill & jodi

Festus2
09-13-2012, 09:17 PM
This thread was started a while back for members who visited KOA parks and the rating system suggested by the OP was on a scale of 1 to 5. The ratings in this thread are for KOA parks only.

mikell
09-14-2012, 03:10 AM
If your fulltiming you will probably not be staying at KOA they are a bit priecy

Murray0512
09-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Are any of you KOA Kamp workers ? Trying to get ready for full time and have heard of this program have met one couple who has done it . I know I need to stay out of my wife's space a few hours a day maybe this would work

hankpage
09-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Are any of you KOA Kamp workers ? Trying to get ready for full time and have heard of this program have met one couple who has done it . I know I need to stay out of my wife's space a few hours a day maybe this would work

I agree, "A woman's place is in the home ... and she should be there right after work!" .... I can feel it coming! http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1110 Sorry ladies but the devil made me do it. I wonder how that sofa bed works?????

Festus2
09-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Hankpage -
Sofa bed? I'm afraid you are overly optimistic! You'd better check out the recent posts about Mods and Upgrades for those who have pets. I think there is something in there about a crate. Now that you've made your bed, lie down on it. ;)

stormy2000
09-17-2012, 06:09 PM
when we lived in manchester tn, there is a koa campground there, as we talked to a couple there and the husband was doing maint jobs and in return got their site and services free.

Ritasranch
09-23-2012, 07:18 PM
We don't stay at KOA. They are pricey and sometimes rundown.

mikell
10-03-2012, 02:59 AM
Bad review for the Coloma MI KOA. It seems the grumpy guy working there filled someones propane tank tried to charge them double then told them he couldn't re lite their pilot lights but he could call some who could for $45. The woman camper nearly cried. She wanted to park next to the restrooms because her husband had a hard time walking and the guy put them at the far end. Wanted to use the laundry and the guy wouldn't unlock it. Finally she called us and tried to get her money back but was refused. Her husband was able to tell here the pilots are automatic and she went ballistic on the guy and is not going to back down till he's fired. She has a lot of money and connections. Retired Super for Michigans most affluent school distric. They spent 2 nights with us traveling between their summer home on an island in NY and their winter home in Colorado somewhere.

Jim W
10-04-2012, 12:32 PM
We just stayed at a great KOA for one night in Cartersville TN. Cost is about $35.00 for full-hooh ups with pull thru site. The owner notice I had several thounsand KOA points and asked if I wanted to use some of them for the night, ended up costing only $9.00. I now know what the points are for.

I would rate this KOA a 5 out of 5 for a one night stop.

I tend to use KOA's for traveling to and from vacation camp sites since I know they will be easy in and out sites and not far off the intersate road system.

Jim W.

dakingsella
10-08-2012, 12:41 PM
In my opinion the KOA in Astoria, Oregon is the best KOA my family and I have stayed at. Some sites are paved while other sites are secluded and there is plenty to do for the whole family including a wonderful pancake breakfast. If you're ever in oregon this is the KOA to stay at. Plus your only minutes away from the coast.:thumbsup:

We have stayed at the KOA in Astoria (Warrenton) several times and I'd agree it is the best one we've stayed in. I'd give it a 5!

On our last trip we stayed in KOA parks in Waldport, OR and Bandon, OR. We stayed a week in each of the two parks.

I'd only give the park in Bandon a 4, because it is limited in some of the facilities that are available in Astoria, but it has level, roomy sites and easy access. It is a small park but is very woodsy. The owner seems to be the jack-of-all-trades. He works behind the counter and handles the care and maintenance. We were there after the vacation season (September) so he might have some additional help during the busy season. He is very friendly and does of good job of keeping the park in good condition. We are planning another trip to Bandon next year. We enjoyed the KOA and there are a lot of activities in the area. Bandon is one of the most fun towns on the Oregon Coast!

I'd give the park at Waldport a 3+. It is smaller than Astoria but larger than Bandon, with limited services, spaces are smaller and not as roomy, you are closer to your neighbors. The staff is friendly and they do have a store and playground facilities if you are traveling with kids. I may be more harsh on the Waldport KOA because we found there was not nearly as much to do in the area than we had expected. The town of Waldport isn't much of a tourist town and you have to drive some distance to get to the activities we enjoy. We would defiantly stay there for an overnight if passing through but would not plan an extend stay.

One final note, the Astoria KOA is a little pricey, at $50+ in the summer but offers a 25% discount to active duty and retired military which makes it more affordable if you are eligible for the discount.

AnnaK
11-26-2012, 04:48 AM
We usually stay at SPs but will overnight at a KOA when we have to do laundry. It's convenient.

Gaylord, MI KOA: 5
Very clean restroom and shower facilities; spacious, level sites; paved interior roads; fenced dog areas; friendly staff; overall clean CG. Camped there Oct. 2012, paid $35, hooked up to water and electric.

Port Huron, MI KOA: 5
Very clean and well maintained; paved, level pads and roads; fenced dog areas. Camped there Oct. 2011, paid $40 (water and electric).

Salem/Lisbon, OH KOA: 0
This was described as a "new" KOA and they are doing some site development but the section we were shown to was old and tired. Occupied by seasonals and transient workers. We were wedged between a permanently occupied 'kabin' and a metal storage shed belonging to a skirted seasonal TT. The roads are gravel with deep pot holes, sites are grass and not level.
The toilet stalls (2 each in the men's and women's) are so small that they used plastic accordion doors so when you sit down your knees push the door outward. Looked at the shower, decided there's no way I could use it. Ugh!
The garbage dumpster was overflowing; the area outside the restrooms was littered with soggy cardboard boxes, some empty, some containing trash.
We stayed there Oct. 2012, paid $32. Never again!

curlyfungirl
11-26-2012, 09:42 AM
The Ely Nevada KOA is very clean and have roomy sites. There are not any activities for young children. This is mostly a place to stay for a good nights sleep and then hit the road again. The staff is very helpful and nice. The laundry room is very clean and the machines are efficient. I have not checked out the restroom. For a quick place to rest your head I would rate this place a five. I would not recommend it for families with children as they do not have activities or a pool.

crash
11-29-2012, 04:34 AM
Williamsburg koa in Va.(4) is nice and friendly staff really close to historic williamsburg,water country usa ,bush gardens and Va beach.Harpers Ferry W Va koa is not big rig friendly but a nice place(3.5)Myrtle Beach SC(4)is a great place lots to due ,friendly staff and close to everything.Hatteras koa (5)great place right on the ocean friendly staff.Just to name a few.

CCFROMFL
12-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Made a 4 month trip out west (Seattle) was not overly impressed with KOA campgounds (over priced) for what you get.

Would use KOA in the future only for overnight stop if nothing else available.

GMSIMS
03-11-2013, 02:56 PM
We stayed at the Kingsland, GA KOA on the way down to Florida to visit family. I would give it a 5 since the DW said the bathrooms were the cleanest she ever saw and heated (it was around Thanksgiving when we passed through). They also had free waffles and coffee in the morning.

-Greg-

lightning79
05-01-2013, 07:11 PM
I've stayed in the Hinton, AB KOA for about two weeks, one at a time. Really great owners, very clean, well-maintained. I just wish it had trees, it's wide open and can get quite hot.

Call them a 4, only because of no trees.

AnnaK
05-02-2013, 04:26 AM
Allentown, PA KOA
The location is sometimes also referred to as New Tripoli KOA

4 stars for friendly and helpful staff, spotless bathrooms/showers which were heated, quiet location.

I deducted 1 star for the size of the sites in the 3-way hookup section. It looked very tight there.

Cable and WiFi at all sites. Children's activities. A small creek runs through it. Pet friendly.

Dhuhn
05-02-2013, 06:31 AM
Made a 4 month trip out west (Seattle) was not overly impressed with KOA campgounds (over priced) for what you get.

Would use KOA in the future only for overnight stop if nothing else available.

This one like you said good for overnight, it's actually south of Seattle in the warehouse district.

Leavenworth WA. KOA very nice well maintained and great atmosphere. Defiantly recommend this one.give it a 5

jimmyriley
05-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Williamsburg would give a 4. Bathroom in the main building is pretty old and nasty but the Bathroom in the general park is nice and clean.
Virginia Beach give a 4 due to the bathroom in the full time area is nasty however, the other restrooms are good.
Fayetteville, NC would give a 4 due to dust everywhere but the sites are nice and spacious.
KOA in Four Oaks, NC is awesome as sites are spacious and the bathrooms are some of the cleanest I have seen.
KOA in Wythesville, Va have extremely small sites and fire rings are only portable types the size of a frying pan. hard to get into the sites. had to buy blocks to raise the tires on my truck in order to get level just to unhook the hitch. I will not return to this KOA.

suza
06-20-2013, 03:45 PM
We are planning a kayaking excursion on the Willamette River and thinking of setting up camp at the Albany/Corvallis, OR KOA. Has anyone stayed there? Comments?

Thanks

suza
06-20-2013, 03:54 PM
I have stayed at one KOA. Pprobably will never stay at another one. I am a state park/COE/NFS kind of camper. Average cost less than $30 a night.

We like the State & County Parks/COEs/NFS campgrounds too. Unfortunately, during Summer months they are usually booked far in advance. What do you do when the urge hits to go camping and you're towing a 5th wheel? Are most KOA's booked up, as well? Fortunately, we are retired, so weekdays are an option, but I have been looking at campsites, and it doesn't seem to matter what days you want. Before and after Summer vacation there is a very small window of decent weather in Oregon :(

suza
06-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Currently in the Klamath Falls OR KOA. Got here Thursday night so the DW could participate in the Master Regional Rowing competition. We're here thru Monday and then headed for Lassen NP where we'll stay in the park. Nice folks and just on the edge of town so close to the rowing. I use KOA's mostly as on the way places to stay, great for one night as the are usually close to the main road, and mostly clean. If it were not for the racing I would not spend 4 nights in one. Rather be up in Crater Lake.

B

@ bennydog: Have you camped at Crater Lake? Where is a good place?

suza
06-20-2013, 04:03 PM
I agree, "A woman's place is in the home ... and she should be there right after work!" .... I can feel it coming! http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1110 Sorry ladies but the devil made me do it. I wonder how that sofa bed works?????

Hank,

You might want to add this to your "mod list": If you have a laundry hatch, make it large enough that your DW can shove you into the cargo bay! LOL

suza
06-20-2013, 04:07 PM
We have stayed at the KOA in Astoria (Warrenton) several times and I'd agree it is the best one we've stayed in. I'd give it a 5!

On our last trip we stayed in KOA parks in Waldport, OR and Bandon, OR. We stayed a week in each of the two parks.

I'd only give the park in Bandon a 4, because it is limited in some of the facilities that are available in Astoria, but it has level, roomy sites and easy access. It is a small park but is very woodsy. The owner seems to be the jack-of-all-trades. He works behind the counter and handles the care and maintenance. We were there after the vacation season (September) so he might have some additional help during the busy season. He is very friendly and does of good job of keeping the park in good condition. We are planning another trip to Bandon next year. We enjoyed the KOA and there are a lot of activities in the area. Bandon is one of the most fun towns on the Oregon Coast!

I'd give the park at Waldport a 3+. It is smaller than Astoria but larger than Bandon, with limited services, spaces are smaller and not as roomy, you are closer to your neighbors. The staff is friendly and they do have a store and playground facilities if you are traveling with kids. I may be more harsh on the Waldport KOA because we found there was not nearly as much to do in the area than we had expected. The town of Waldport isn't much of a tourist town and you have to drive some distance to get to the activities we enjoy. We would defiantly stay there for an overnight if passing through but would not plan an extend stay.

One final note, the Astoria KOA is a little pricey, at $50+ in the summer but offers a 25% discount to active duty and retired military which makes it more affordable if you are eligible for the discount.

Dave: Glad you enjoyed Bandon. We live just 30 miles inland. I love going to Bandon, but my husband hates the wind :( Lots of beauty on the Southern Oregon Coast, IMO ;)

Sorry for monopolizing this thread :o

ewkearns
06-21-2013, 04:09 AM
DW and I spent the night at the KOA in Wytheville, NC (pronouned withville).

Not really impressed at all. Was great for a 1 night pass thru. Seleted a pull thru sight via after hrs chek in. Wouldn't stay here for a weekend or extended trip.....pulll thru sites very narrow. Would stay here again for 1 night while travelling. Very close to highway.....rts 81 and 77.

Cabins had a fence immed out front with camp sites right on the other side....didn't seem fair to cabin renters.

** out of 5

Note: Wytheville is in VA.....

cabinfever
06-25-2013, 02:46 PM
We stayed at the Mercer/ Grove City KOA this past weekend. Very nice facility. Lots of trees. The pool, store, and showers are nice. The staff is great! This KOA is close to interstate 80 and 79 in NW PA. There were many one night stop overs while we were there, so if anyone is traveling and looking for a stop over I'd give this KOA a very good rating. Also, 10 minutes from the KOA is outlet shopping, winery, lots of restaurants, and (most importantly to me :D) a dirt track that runs sprint cars!

suza
06-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Stopped by the Albany/Corvallis, Oregon KOA to scout out a kayaking excursion later this summer and found it truly is "a small world, after all" . . . . . .

After visiting with the owner for a bit, I mentioned that we lived along the Coquille River. He asked me if we were near Myrtle Point (that's our hometown!). Seems he lived there and attended kindergarten through 5th grade in the late 50's-early 60's, when his dad was pastor at the Lutheran church. I did not live there at that time, but he went to school in two of the school buildings where I worked and knows a lot of people I know now. The KOA he owns and manages is on land that has been in his family for over 100 years.

The campground is pretty nice. It is close to the highway that runs from I-5 to Corvallis, but well protected by trees. The grounds are tidy, though not emmaculate; the lawns in the sites were a bit unkempt, but everything was very clean. It felt homey and not too "Park-like". The RV sites are all pull-throughs with about half of them 50 amp and half 30 amp. Most have full hook-ups, including cable and WiFi with a few without sewer (there is a dump station on site). There are also a few cabins (just for sleeping - no kitchens or bathrooms) and quite a few tent camping sites. Ammenities include a heated pool, convenience store, propane, dog park, basketball court, a nature trail, and access to the Calapooya River. There is also a small minature golf course available for an extra fee.

Most sites were roomy and not too close together. I found some that would be good for our family group of RVs camping together. All sites are at least 60' long, so there's plenty of room for a tow vehicle.

The owners were very friendly and willing to take the time to answer my questions. They even suggested some possible places for getting in and out of the river with our kayaks. They checked availability during the summer and told me about weekends with busy summer events when the park is generally pretty full.

It looks like a good place to camp out for a few days while we do some kayaking on the Willamette and Calapooya Rivers. After that, we plan to head East past Lebanon and Sweet Home to spend several days at Sunnyside Park on Foster Lake where there are a lot of little inlets and streams for paddling and a spacious park for relaxing and enjoying the final days of summer. This park is very popular, being close to Salem, and pretty much booked until after Labor Day, but that's OK with us. September has some of the best weather here in Oregon and the crowds will be done for the Summer camping season.

ctpd814
07-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Our favorite so far has been the Mt Rushmore KOA in South Dakota. It is a little out of the way from the freeway, but there are tons of sight seeing in the area and CG was great.

jsmith948
07-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Recently stayed one night at the KOA in Boomtown (Reno area) NV.
Nice park. Clean, paved sites with tables and grassy areas between sites.
Full hook ups. Our site was a little unlevel. Pretty quiet except for the occasional train. Was a good overnite stop for $48.57 for a pull-thru. The DIL and Grandkids liked the pool.:)

dave-g
07-30-2013, 01:37 AM
Just stayed a LURAY KOA this place is beautiful! From what I'm told the park has been there a while but is new the koa- I would call this a flag ship park. The bath rooms were large and clean and smelled good. The laundry was of average size.

I stayed a a patio site- ( they up graded or free because it was available) Great gravel level spot with a 10x30 concrete patio- with a nice round glass table with 4 chairs that had cushions. A few steps off the patio was a 8x8 paver patio with 2 Adirondack chairs and a fire pit - also made from pavers. This fire pit over looked a grass field at the center of the camp ground. this grass field is massive, and all the rv park along the edge of the field length wise, NOT backed in-

Other sites were also large and private-

This is such a class place even the sewer cap for hook up was hinged with a foot pedal that had a thick rubber gasket on the bottom.

ON Friday nights they make pizza in a big brick oven.

I was so pleased with the place I forgot to mention how great the staff was.

If all KOA's were like this they would be #1 in camp grounds.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_89403_0_0aecd0cd13a1f20c4275131233f3d84e.jpg (http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/dave-g429/media/20130725_193359.jpg.html)

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_89403_1_3bec8303c837217c92c684f375bc2c21.jpg (http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/dave-g429/media/20130725_191626.jpg.html)

crash
07-30-2013, 02:11 AM
Great to hear.We were thinking about going there in a few weeks.Can you post more pics?:D

crash
07-30-2013, 02:13 AM
That was the Luray Virginia Koa right?

dave-g
07-31-2013, 04:18 AM
Yes Luray VA-

Sorry I have no more pictures.

Kenworth
08-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Just got here yesterday, seems nice. Level parking, but the rest of the area is hilly...no liquor for me with that. Very clean, well maintained. Kinda pricey, but ya can't take it with ya...(tx)

FlyingBelle
08-09-2013, 11:11 AM
South Bend/Elkart KOA in Granger, IN - 2

I would have rated it a 3, until I read the rest of the posts and saw how nice some of the other KOAs are!

This was our first KOA stay. We had a pull-through full hookup with Cable. The owner was great about leading us to the site and helping hubby align for our slideouts. Couldn't get the cable to work at all (during the Chicago Blackhawks Stanley Cup Finals!!), but could get a good number of over-the-air stations.

The site was small, compared to what I'm used to. The firepit was located directly under our awning, so we couldn't have a campfire unless we retracted the awning, and the site on the other side of us had their firepit right up against our camper! (They didn't have a fire either)

The full hookups for the site on the other side of us were so close to us I had to watch my kids like a hawk - they were very interested in the hoses and stuff (ew!)

We were told by the owner if we had booked earlier we could have gotten one of the "nicer" sites. He pointed to the ones across the road, which looked identical to ours.

The "heated" pool was cold, and the sidewalk leading to it was all busted up. They showed movies, but they were odd, obscure films from the 70's (and not kid-friendly). there was a "petting zoo" which consisted of a donkey and 2 goats - one of which was missing a leg because a dog had gotten in several years ago (freaked my daughter out). We found the mini-golf on the 3rd day, you had to walk through a field of weeks, and on to a cement patio - which had markings of "no diving".

It's located in a suburban neighborhood, so you can walk to an Italian place and Dairy Queen and other typical places. It was about a 40 minute drive to Amish Acres.

Overall the owners were nice, although a little hostile when I gave them an average rating on the KOA website. The sites were clean, though small. And there is a train nearby that you can clearly hear throughout the night.

I wouldn't stay here again to vacation. But it seemed most folks were just passing-through to their next location and only stayed one night.

kmc58
09-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Stayed this past weekend at this KOA. Very nice and large pull thru spaces for our Keystone Fuzion 395. We are empty nesters but it is very kid friendly with a nice pool, playground, wagon rides through the 355 acre plantation, nice lake. Near historic Charleston and the USS Yorktown. The rate was 40 a night but we were given a night free since we are frequent KOA customers. The only bad thing about this campground was that our neighbors wouldn't clean up after their poodle.

Bigsky3625
09-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Took a trip to Banff and then down to West Glacier KOA. Nice spot. Off the main road in the woods. All big rig sites are pull thrus. Would stay again. Clean. Very quiet.

Bigsky3625
09-16-2013, 09:32 PM
On our way back to the Redmond area from West Glacier we stopped for a night at the Missoula KOA. What a surprise.

Middle of town. Trailer parks on two sides. School bus barn on the south side.

Not what we expected. Way to pricey and too noisy.

Glad it was OK only for one night. Won't go again. Would rather drive another 4 hours to Blackwell Island.

suza
09-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Stayed this past weekend at this KOA. Very nice and large pull thru spaces for our Keystone Fuzion 395. We are empty nesters but it is very kid friendly with a nice pool, playground, wagon rides through the 355 acre plantation, nice lake. Near historic Charleston and the USS Yorktown. The rate was 40 a night but we were given a night free since we are frequent KOA customers. The only bad thing about this campground was that our neighbors wouldn't clean up after their poodle.

Makes me want to go back to Charleston. We visited there when my son was in the Navy. Loved it. Your report on the KOA will come in handy if we ever make a cross country trip. (tx)

JRTJH
09-24-2013, 07:37 AM

Hmmmmm I well remember the Halloween "trick" of putting poop in a bag and lighting it on the sidewalk of houses that didn't give us "treats"..... I wonder if "poodle poo" carefully placed on the entry steps might give that camper the needed "trick" to pick up after "fido" ?????

sleeplightly
10-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Recently stayed at the KOA in Branson,Mo. My dw and 3 girls all had a great time. Very clean and professional. Easy parking as we had a pull through but I think next time I will just back into one of the sites near the top of the hill. We were close to the playground and pool and really enjoyed the time there. Doesn't hurt that there are two vinyards close with free tours and tasting also.

Wantoride
02-10-2014, 03:00 PM
What about the koa in Gettysburg ? My wife and I are newbies and are planning on a near by spot to get used to our new tt after the snow melts. We went up to Gettysburg to check out the campgrounds and thought the koa looked nice. We couldn't get in due to the snow. Anybody have an opinion on that koa? I've heard granite hill can be nice.

GMSIMS
02-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Gettysburg KOA is nice. Stayed there several times.

CHIEF MK
02-10-2014, 07:08 PM
How about San Diego?

koko
02-11-2014, 01:08 PM
We're also curious about the San Diego Metro KOA. It won 2013 KOA of the Year. We'd like to go for a month in January or February 2015.

We LOVE KOA. We've been members for too many years to say. We took a vast trip in the fall, and we mostly stayed at KOA's because we didn't know the East Coast area at all and wanted something safe, consistent and clean. Sure, some have their faults, but it's like visiting an old friend.

Our very favorites on our most recent trip were (all 5s) - NIAGRA FALLS NORTH/LEWISTON, NY - perfect location and right near the Falls and other attractions; 1000 ISLANDS/ASSOCIATION ISLAND, NY - right on Lake Ontario - huge, lovely; QUECHEE, VT - stayed for several days - beautiful; FREEPORT/DURHAM, ME - campsites on the perimeter, all the way around with grass (where we chose to be), large pad sites in the center, and large common area, huge dog run - all very spacious; MYRTLE BEACH, SC - nice large sites, easy walk to the beach; CHARLESTON, SC - used to be a plantation. Has beautiful walking trails and a very large dog park with a swimming park area fenced off in case your doggie needs a dip in the lake).

CRESCENT CITY/REDWOODS CA; CARLSBAD, NM; SANTA FE, NM; DURANGO, CO; CORTEZ, CO; WILLIAMS/CIRCLE PINES, AZ; CANNON CITY/BRYCE, UT; SALT LAKE CITY, UT (all 5s)...we've stayed at so many that we like and too many to remember (45 years of camping as a couple). Compared to a hotel, they're pretty cheap (and even cheaper here in the west). Yes, we love national park campgrounds, state park campgrounds, boondocking in the mountains; but when it's appropriate, you just can't beat KOA, especially when on a road trip.

jje1960
02-11-2014, 02:39 PM
DW and I spent the night at the KOA in Wytheville, VA (pronouned withville).

Not really impressed at all. Was great for a 1 night pass thru. Seleted a pull thru sight via after hrs check in. Wouldn't stay here for a weekend or extended trip.....pull thru sites very narrow. Would stay here again for 1 night while travelling. Very close to highway.....rts 81 and 77.

** out of 5
We actually loved having the Wytheville KOA available off Rt 81. Really long spot which we enjoy with our TV and SRX without unhooking, level spot, clear view for our Sat Dome. We will be stopping here every year on the way to Bristol week in August.

CHIEF MK
02-11-2014, 08:24 PM
We're also curious about the San Diego Metro KOA. It won 2013 KOA of the Year. We'd like to go for a month in January or February 2015.

We LOVE KOA. We've been members for too many years to say. We took a vast trip in the fall, and we mostly stayed at KOA's because we didn't know the East Coast area at all and wanted something safe, consistent and clean. Sure, some have their faults, but it's like visiting an old friend.

Our very favorites on our most recent trip were (all 5s) - NIAGRA FALLS NORTH/LEWISTON, NY - perfect location and right near the Falls and other attractions; 1000 ISLANDS/ASSOCIATION ISLAND, NY - right on Lake Ontario - huge, lovely; QUECHEE, VT - stayed for several days - beautiful; FREEPORT/DURHAM, ME - campsites on the perimeter, all the way around with grass (where we chose to be), large pad sites in the center, and large common area, huge dog run - all very spacious; MYRTLE BEACH, SC - nice large sites, easy walk to the beach; CHARLESTON, SC - used to be a plantation. Has beautiful walking trails and a very large dog park with a swimming park area fenced off in case your doggie needs a dip in the lake).

CRESCENT CITY/REDWOODS CA; CARLSBAD, NM; SANTA FE, NM; DURANGO, CO; CORTEZ, CO; WILLIAMS/CIRCLE PINES, AZ; CANNON CITY/BRYCE, UT; SALT LAKE CITY, UT (all 5s)...we've stayed at so many that we like and too many to remember (45 years of camping as a couple). Compared to a hotel, they're pretty cheap (and even cheaper here in the west). Yes, we love national park campgrounds, state park campgrounds, boondocking in the mountains; but when it's appropriate, you just can't beat KOA, especially when on a road trip.

Koko, I'll let you know how it is. We've got reservations for 3 nights for this weekend at the San Diego KOA . Our longest trip so far has been around the 500 mile mark round trip. This trip is 780 mi one-way.

koko
02-12-2014, 06:04 PM
Thanks a lot. I'll be waiting for your report. It seems to have pretty reasonable winter temperatures, and it's only about a two-day drive from home. We don't want to be too far away.

Chipsahoy
02-18-2014, 03:10 PM
The San Diego KOA is a great place to stay when visiting San Diego. I have stayed there 4-5 times and enjoyed it each time. Easy to get to from the freeway, shopping for groceries is close and it is not far from the major attractions. Many people like Campland at the Bay but it is a pricey private park that is very busy, especially with kids. I much prefer the KOA.

koko
02-18-2014, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the report!

CHIEF MK
02-20-2014, 08:40 AM
Just got back from San Diego KOA, and I concur with Chipsahoy. For me there were just to many kids. It was presidents Day weekend though. We raised 3 wonderful children , and have stayed at many KOA's with them, and always had fun. Now I'm an old Geezer, and like the quiet. I know the KOA's is not the place to do get that. It was our choice to go there, and I'm glad we did. It's a very nice place to stay. I will go back. Our sons stationed on a ship there in the Navy, so we will go to visit him again, and probably stay there. It's like 10 minutes to his ship from the KOA.

I'm definitely not going to take I-5 all the way down there again. I mean 5 hours from LA to Chula vista. That sucked.

Would anybody think I was crazy if I took LA via Arizona. LOL!

BirchyBoy
02-20-2014, 12:16 PM
I've never stayed at a KOA, but I've booked two nights in May for our trip to Maine. We're staying at the KOA in Gretna, NE and then Westfield/Lake Eerie, NY over Memorial Day weekend. Hopefully we'll have a good time during our short stays!

koko
02-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Thanks CHIEF MK for the San Diego KOA report.

CHIEF MK
02-21-2014, 05:22 PM
^^^^^^^^^ My pleasure. We are already thinking of going back there in June. After coming home, and getting groceries, all the yard work, the :):):)firewood, washing the Trailer and truck, I'm ready to get out of here and get back on the road.:)

ed cobos
03-04-2014, 09:26 PM
i agree. some very good ones - good ones -to poor.
very good: koa in oroville, ca.; chula vista,ca. and williams,az (circle pines)
good - shasta,ca.; medford/gold hill,or.; ventura,ca.; stocton delta,ca.
poor - kent,wa,
of course in all depends on the people that are camping next to you gold hill was beautiful but one night a bunch of people came in late and partied all night, yelling and rude until past 3am! told the people at the reception and they didn't seem to care. the koa in oroville was great - spacious sites, nice pool and spa, very clean bathrooms and next to the casino with great beer and buffet. no tents or cabins.

Sivymp1
03-28-2014, 06:06 PM
So we just bought a 2014 Passport and our goal as a family is more camping around the country. In reading these posts it seems KOA is the way to go. Is the membership a good idea? Worth it?:confused:

outwest
03-28-2014, 06:44 PM
So we just bought a 2014 Passport and our goal as a family is more camping around the country. In reading these posts it seems KOA is the way to go. Is the membership a good idea? Worth it?:confused:
KOA membership depends on how often you'll stay at KOAs, etc. If you stay long term and do the monthly rates, you'll normally not get any discount. If you stay short term, then you get 10% discount off of the daily rate. Depending on the individual KOAs pricing, the yearly fee could be paid for in as little as 4 days of stay during the year or take as many as 8 days stay during the year. (my local KOA charges $32 a day, but it's a dump and shouldn't even be charging $20 a day).

2011 keystone
03-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Has anyone stayed at the kingsland GA KOA? I would live to hear a couple of reviews

rschad
03-28-2014, 08:30 PM

Koa is fine but don't neglect other campgrounds, especially municipal ones. Some of those are very nice and often at half the price of a koa in the same area. I have a koa membership as I do find koa useful for overnighting enroute to a holiday destination.

CHIEF MK
03-31-2014, 08:55 AM

Congratulations on your new Passport. Your going to love it. I think the KOA discount is good. I have stayed at some really nice ones, and a few that were just so so. To us any discount is worth it. I have the KOA, Good Sam, AARP, Retired military discounts to use. So pretty much anywhere we go we get some kind of a discount. The KOA and the Good Sam membership's are cheap, and think there worth it. That's just me though.

koko
04-01-2014, 08:24 AM
If you use KOA often enough, they will actually renew your membership free of charge. That is our case. We had used KOA so many times last year that we were automatically renewed. We get 10% off each time we camp, and after accumulating a certain amount of points, we get free nights. We just returned from KOA Santa Fe (rated 5 by us). We were there for 8 nights, and two of them were free, one because they were running a special promotion, one because of points we had accumulated. KOA is great if you do a lot of road trips. We are also Good Sam members.

gearhead
04-30-2014, 04:04 PM
I would give this a 3.5 out of 5. Very quiet. Heavily wooded. Sites are loose gravel, as are roads. Laundry is old but clean. Staff was part of owners family. A young couple and they were friendly. Be carefull when leaving, the 2 lane road has a blind curve right at the campground.
Close enough to Monticello.

poncho62
04-30-2014, 04:57 PM
A few Canadian KOAs

Every May long weekend, we take our grandkids to the Niagara Falls, Ont KOA.....It is crowded, medium sized sites. Its a tourist area, so that is to be expected. There is a ton of stuff for the kids, but be prepared for lots of kids....about $55/night. Rates go up in July-Aug (peak season)........3.5

Thunder Bay KOA......stopped here a couple of days traveling out west....Very nice park, large sites, cable TV.....$45...4

Hinton, AB.......Like a previous poster said, very well kept park, gorgeous views of the mountains. Could use more shade.......$45.....4

sbaker
05-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Anyone been to Boone, NC KOA?

FlyingBelle
05-16-2014, 09:01 AM
Just came back from a nice weekend at Madison KOA. It's right off of I-90 just north of Madison, so you get a little highway noise, but not too bad. There's a Culvers, McDs, Arbys, and a Cheese store right across the road.

The owners were very friendly and they offered lots of activities for the kids - many of them were free. My kids (2 and 6) had a blast - especially on the inflatable horses :)

Plus they had breakfast for $2 (pancakes) and lunch for $2 (brat and chips), and were offering a wine and cheese tasting in the afternoon and had bingo with a free ice cream social afterwards (bring your own bowl and spoon).

We'll definitely head back!

Just edited to add - the showers were so clean and loved the large showerhead and a space to put your shampoo, etc!

gvansickle1
05-16-2014, 07:06 PM
Anyone ever stayed at the Royal Gorge KOA in Canon City, CO? Based on the website looks like it'd be great for the wife & kids? Looks okay via Google Earth as well; doesn't appear to be the dreaded "parking lot" CG.

poncho62
05-17-2014, 08:12 AM
At the Niagara Falls, Ont KOA right now....with the wet weather lately, its a real mud hole. Luckily, our spot is fairly dry. I noticed a number of people didnt stay, as they were being put in a swamp...I know the management cant do much about weather, but at the prices they charge here, they could do some landscaping so the sites are not under water. .....The wireless is out too...luckily, we bring our own. Maybe I should rent ours out and recoup our camping costs.....lol

michol02
05-18-2014, 09:17 AM
I'm heading to Branson next week. I'm staying 1 night at the KOA in Hot Springs, AK. Anyone have any helpful info or tips on this one?

chgo_spartan
05-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Just spent the 4 day weekend at Coloma/St Joseph KOA in Michigan. It has about 120 sites. Tons of kids at this campground, which was great! Our kids stayed busy all weekend playing with their new friends. But it was very quiet at night, just people chilling by their fires. :-) It had a nice size pool and hot tub, a jumpy pillow, and playground. Our dog loved playing with other dogs in the Camp K9. We had a full hookup pull thru site, and it was not a very wide site, but my sister was able to pull her trailer in the opposite direction so we faced each other, so that worked out great! I didn't use the bathrooms so I can't comment on their condition. The pool could use more chairs and some umbrellas as it was in full sun. It was right off the highway, but the highway noise wasn't bad, and you could hear an occasional train. The office staff was very friendly. We will definitely go back.

michol02
05-27-2014, 08:52 AM
Stayed at Hot Springs National Park KOA. Very nice staff. Bathrooms and laundry were clean. Nice store with Hunt Pizza and served hot breakfast. Camping spots were fairly level and paved. Would stay there again. :)

austinp
05-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Has anyone ever stayed at the KOA in Rock Springs Wyoming? We are planning a trip to South Dakota and need to find an overnight spot... The "boss" doesn't like to stay in parking lots. She needs hookups.

MarkS
05-27-2014, 03:50 PM
Has anyone ever stayed at the KOA in Rock Springs Wyoming? We are planning a trip to South Dakota and need to find an overnight spot... The "boss" doesn't like to stay in parking lots. She needs hookups.

We have stayed there a couple of times, going to / from Yellowstone. Within sight of the expressway and some oil tanks. It was clean, had hookups, fine for overnight.

austinp
05-27-2014, 03:51 PM
MarkS,
Thank you very much for the info. It helps a lot.

Essness
06-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Stayed here a couple weeks ago. One word, deplorable.
We were staying overnight as a stop off, booked and confirmed a pull thru with full hook up. The site they assigned us was about 50 feet in total length and 4 to 5 feet higher on either side than in the middle, sites are poorly marked, water and electric hook ups are on opposite sides of the site (and camper). The grass was very long, the dumpsters were overflowing with trash. Their web site lists "restaurant" so this was a perfect place for an overnight stop and we wouldn't have to un hook. The restaurant was closed and gutted.

They sent a survey, I did the survey, I mentioned all these things, and to their credit, they did respond to me. However, the response involved a lot of blaming things they just couldnt help including the seasonals at the campground.

Essness
06-02-2014, 12:02 PM
We stayed here again a couple weeks ago. Great place great staff. This was a third time at this place. It's always clean, well cared for landscape, easy pull through sites and hook ups.
I think the staff is work campers and they are always very helpful and nice.

koko
06-03-2014, 07:03 AM
austinp, I know you said your wife doesn't like camping in parking lots, but the Walmart in Rock Springs is one of the safest places you'll ever find (for a Walmart). It's only about 1/2 mile from the KOA. Just a thought.

austinp
06-03-2014, 07:19 AM
Koko, thanks for the info on Walmart. It's not really the safety factor as much as being able to use all our facilities. We don't have a generator yet, so would be unable to run the TV or 120v appliances. Its her first long camping trip, so I think I'll try to make it as easy as possible for her. If it was just me the Walmart would more than meet my needs.

koko
06-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Well, the KOA is no looker, but it's very clean and the personnel nice. Pretend the tanks are large, beautiful boulders.

hoffbrew
07-08-2014, 12:21 PM
This place is not recommended by me. Staff is rude and not accommodating. Not very well groomed grounds. It almost looks like this park is abandoned. Check in time is 3:00 pm and check out time is 12:00 pm. Asked for a 1:00 pm check out in a almost empty park and staff said no while laughing at us. Really???

FTWingRiders
07-29-2014, 06:16 PM
harpers Ferry KOA...

A question for those that have been here.. My wife and I are going next week. I actually have 2 sites reserved, my buddy can't make it, a 50A pull thru in the middle of the big rigs, and a 30A pull thru in the trees. I can live with the 30A to enjoy some shade, but was wondering how tight they are. I have a 325SRX 5'er, and we will have the goldwing with us.

How big are the 30A sites? Are they flat, or hilly? Which would you chose?

Thank you!

Hoojs12840
07-29-2014, 06:41 PM
We live 10 miles away, been there 4 times. The 50 amp sites across from the office by the entrance road are easy enough to get in, but I would not call them roomy. The rest of the campground is tight. We use to have a 27ft travel trailer with no slides and it was tight. Some are level, some require some thought on placing the rv. I even had to change sites once. I say that as someone with considerable tractor trailer driving experience.

They offer lots of activities, but it is crowded. Lots to do nearby.

Hoojs12840
07-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Also, lots to do in area. Harpers Ferry NP, Antietam battlefield NP, tubing on the river.Lots of nice riding around and between the two. There is a decent size flea market right down 340, even if you don't find that odd trinket, it's good people watching. If you have any questions about the area let me know.

FTWingRiders
07-29-2014, 07:13 PM
We live 10 miles away, been there 4 times. The 50 amp sites across from the office by the entrance road are easy enough to get in, but I would not call them roomy. The rest of the campground is tight. We use to have a 27ft travel trailer with no slides and it was tight. Some are level, some require some thought on placing the rv. I even had to change sites once. I say that as someone with considerable tractor trailer driving experience.

They offer lots of activities, but it is crowded. Lots to do nearby.

Thank you! I had read that the sites are a bit tight, I have a 325srx 5'er thats 37' with slides.. I've been driving commercially for 24 years, but not interested in scraping trees..LOL!!

Guess I'll be going 50A..

We love all the history, and plan on seeing as much as we can, including a trip to Gettysburg.

Dave in Va
08-05-2014, 08:22 AM
KOA Luray, VA

Very clean, well manicured landscape, friendly staff. It's a little pricy, but it's money well spent...

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_138714_0_49d3ec8a050601fce798e0e9805b1966.jpg

GaryWT
08-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Very nice, I like the firepit area.

Dave in Va
08-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Very nice, I like the firepit area.

This is a "deluxe patio" site-#92, but all the sites have gravel drive and patio, and the same block firepit. Lots of landscape timbers used to edge the patios and drives. This place is very nice, and KOA should be proud to hang its sign out front.

Festus2
08-05-2014, 11:45 AM
I would have to say that this particular KOA is not the "norm" amongst many private campgrounds. Plenty of room in this "delux patio" site with plenty of green space all round.

A very desirable spot ....now how much would a person (a non-KOA member) pay for this "delux" site?

Dave in Va
08-05-2014, 01:05 PM
$64. I could do without the patio, but it's our anniversary, and the wife said to get it. They've got other nice pull thru sites for less...

Festus2
08-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Congratulations on your anniversary! :) I'm wondering for your visit, why they didn't call it the "Honeymoon Suite"...... sounds much more romantic than "deluxe patio".......;)

koko
08-05-2014, 02:02 PM
We just returned from a trip to Glacier NP. We spent 4 days in the back country, but the rest of the time we stayed at KOAs:
KOA Yellowstone Park/Mountainside, MT - this is new. There's another one half a mile up the road owned by the same people called Yellowstone/West Gate, MT. We stayed there on the way back and it was beautiful. The Mountainside has a way to go as far as their pads - they aren't very level and have some potholes. We were in peak season so just grateful they had room for us on a day's notice. Pretty views. It will be good after a little more work on it.
KOA Townsend/Canyon Ferry Lake, MT - basic gravel parking but very clean with a beautiful lake about 1/2 mile away. Unless you have a boat it's not very appealing for more than a one night stay.
KOA Great Falls, MT - Great place. Big hedges between each site.
KOA St. Mary/East Glacier, MT - beautiful panoramic views in every direction. Very open, and each site had a fire pit and grass area that was large enough for us to set up our screen tent. Right at the East Entrance and Going to the Sun Road.
KOA Missoula, MT - for being right in the city it was okay. Good location but sandwiched between trailer parks. Very clean with large sites.
KOA Dubois, WY - great little place right in the middle of this tiny little town and right on the North Platte River.

All of these KOAs were between $55-$65 per night. KOAs are awesome!

BirchyBoy
08-18-2014, 07:26 AM
We stayed at the Estes Park KOA, Estes Park, CO this weekend for 2 nights:

1) The campground has good proximity to Estes Park and has little to no traffic noise.
2) It is very cramped for maneuvering and the sites are very small.
3) There was only about 4 feet between us and the camper beside us. Not enough room to put out our canopy or enjoy the space outside our door. There wasn't really enough room to enjoy the rear area either, where the picnic table is, because the KOA person that helped us park had us back all the way up. He did this because there is so little room for rigs to drive through. Some of the spots had the RV door right on the paved road.
4) The bathrooms are very good.
5) None of the RV sites have fire pits. I called and was told that we could bring our own if it was manufactured and "off the ground". We did and it worked out well.
6) There's a cool mini-golf place within a mile and some great hiking as well.
7) It had some nice shade trees but it was all gravel otherwise. Very, very dusty.

Will we go back? Not sure. It was expensive ($60ish per night) and we were packed in like sardines.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_140425_0_6bc521ee0fdb5970bab5d8dc54dafbf3.jpg

Festus2
08-18-2014, 08:25 AM
Will we go back? Not sure. It was expensive ($60ish per night) and we were packed in like sardines.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_140435_0_6bc521ee0fdb5970bab5d8dc54dafbf3.jpg

If you can't put your awning out without it touching your neighbour's unit, I'd give this campground a miss and move on.

JRTJH
08-18-2014, 08:33 AM
We stayed at the Estes Park KOA, Estes Park, CO this weekend for 2 nights:

1) The campground has good proximity to Estes Park and has little to no traffic noise.
2) It is very cramped for maneuvering and the sites are very small.
3) There was only about 4 feet between us and the camper beside us. Not enough room to put out our canopy or enjoy the space outside our door. There wasn't really enough room to enjoy the rear area either, where the picnic table is, because the KOA person that helped us park had us back all the way up. He did this because there is so little room for rigs to drive through. Some of the spots had the RV door right on the paved road.
4) The bathrooms are very good.
5) None of the RV sites have fire pits. I called and was told that we could bring our own if it was manufactured and "off the ground". We did and it worked out well.
6) There's a cool mini-golf place within a mile and some great hiking as well.
7) It had some nice shade trees but it was all gravel otherwise. Very, very dusty.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_140437_0_6bc521ee0fdb5970bab5d8dc54dafbf3.jpg

That's not a campground, it looks more like a RV/boat storage lot (with hookups)... I'd have moved on down the road to the nearest WalMart before paying $60 for a site like that. Wow, talk about crowded !!! Sure looks like maximizing profit is more important than providing a "quality KOA experience"....

hankpage
08-18-2014, 08:54 AM
If you and your neighbor had slide-outs on the same side you could share dinner through the window. We stayed in a place like that in Knoxville for the Worlds Fair and vowed "Never Again"!!! We were told one month earlier it was a cow pasture and when it rained that was confirmed. JM2¢, Hank

buckeyebobhockingcamper
10-23-2014, 02:13 PM
thats a great rate in new mexico!!i pay at least 10 times more than that in the keys,BUT ,hows the average temps ?lows ?i scraped ice from my windshield 3 times in fort myers last january!!thats why im headed to marathon.as far as koa goes,overpriced,overrated.the one in williams arizona was nice though.as others said the staff can make or break the place,attitude is everything

suza
10-24-2014, 02:32 PM
You say you were able to bring your own fire pit and it worked fine. Where did you put it? In the middle of the road :)

twolabcamper
12-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Hi all,
Any reports on this KOA?
Heading there in May

Essness
12-27-2014, 05:47 AM
Hi all,
Any reports on this KOA?
Heading there in May

We stayed a couple years ago. It was nice. The pull throughs are kinda tight but that's the worst thing I can say.

koko
12-27-2014, 01:39 PM
We stayed at the Asheville KOA last fall. We really liked it - beautiful setting. They had signs saying that bears frequent the campground; but it didn't seem like anything threatening, and we didn't see any.

Harleyhop
12-28-2014, 04:08 PM
Stayed in Stauton VA koa in Oct on our way to charlotte would give it a 4.5. People friendly,sites roomy, bathrooms clean. The premium sites at the top of the hill is my recommendation."bouncey:

Trailsport07
02-13-2015, 12:22 PM
Dont know if it has been mentioned yet, have not read al posts. But the KOA in Copake is an AWSOME place to stay. Great family owns it and good activities great rules and very clean.

ancha71
02-19-2015, 06:28 PM
KOA- Mount Rushmore - I wholeheartedly agree with a previous post. This place caters to any style camper from tents to big rigs. It's a mecca for kids. Grandkids had a blast!! So did grandma and grandpa. Activities galore and close to major attractions. Great place to establish a base location for site seeing adventures. My favorite memory -the all you can eat pancake breakfast each morning in the big tent. Staff extremely friendly and helpful.

ancha71
02-20-2015, 05:09 PM
Nice quiet campground about 3 miles SW of the Badlands NP HQ on HWY 44. I always stay here on our way to Mt. Rushmore. Well run, clean. Friendly staff. Breakfast and dinner served daily in case you don't want to cook.You must try their Indian tacos. 2014 -$38 night with electric. Can accommodate all types of RV's.

ancha71
02-20-2015, 05:30 PM
A decent place to stay after a long days trip. Close to the Corn Palace. Easy to get to off I90. What you'd expect to see from a KOA-clean, friendly, helpful staff. They helped me fix my slide out problem.

ancha71
02-20-2015, 05:35 PM
Out in the middle of a farm field off I-90. Extremely easy to access. A place to stay overnight and that is it. Pool water was so brown you couldn't see the bottom of it. Lots of construction around pool area, which is in dire need of repair. Was glad to get on the road the next morning.

bryan6025
02-21-2015, 08:03 AM
We typically stay at KOA's when we are traveling through. There are couple that we do visit every year because they are nice campgrounds:

Eureka Springs, AR KOA-Our favorite. Visit here twice a year over Mermorial and Labor Day weekends. The staff is great and it is a nicer older campground. The owners seen to make improvements ever winter. I highly recommend it.

Branson, Mo KOA-This is also a nice campground. Stayed here a couple times. Nice staff and campground is nice.

Hot Springs, AR KOA-Stayed here last year for a week. Nice campground and nice staff. Would recommend this place also.

Fort Smith, AR KOA-Stayed here one night last year on our way to Hot Springs, AR. Will not return. They put us up in trailer park. I figured it was a older park. Do not recommend.

koko
02-21-2015, 08:08 AM
There are four that are always repeats for us - Santa Fe KOA (spring & fall), Williams AZ Circle Pines KOA, Cannonville, UT KOA (Bryce National Park), Salt Lake City KOA (our son lives there) All four are great!

GaryWT
02-21-2015, 11:52 AM
We visit the Woodstock, Quechee and Freeport KOA's as they are all around 2 hours from home. We had a real nice conversation of the Copake KOA in NY at the Springfield RV show, it is about 3 hours or so away, hope to get there this year.

koko
02-21-2015, 01:19 PM
We stayed at the Quechee and Freeport KOAs on our east coast trip. Being from the land of high desert and not many trees, we loved them both! The humidity there was unbelievable. Spent days searching for covered bridges in the Quechee area and a full day at LL Bean in Freeport.

gearhead
04-27-2015, 05:00 PM
Spartanburg/Gaffney SC. Close to I-85 so it has highway noise. Several FEMA trailers and long term residents. Well shaded. Nice office and store. Hunt Brothers pizza. Tricky access, use the road that parallels frontage road. Needs some updating but good for a overnight. Long level pull through for $42.

ncrzrbk
04-27-2015, 07:53 PM
Kola in New Bern, NC. And Koa in Natural Bridge, Va. Two of our favorite!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gtsum2
04-28-2015, 05:27 PM
Stayed at Fredericksburg va koa. Highly rated but i felt it was only "good". Sites were tight and close together and fire rings consisted of fist sized rocks in a circle. Catch and release pond was fun for the kids

GaryWT
04-28-2015, 06:22 PM
We stayed at the Quechee and Freeport KOAs on our east coast trip. Being from the land of high desert and not many trees, we loved them both! The humidity there was unbelievable. Spent days searching for covered bridges in the Quechee area and a full day at LL Bean in Freeport.

Been to Quechee and Freeport, like them both. Heading back to Freeport this summer.

gearhead
05-26-2015, 06:16 PM
TerreHaute, Indiana. Old and worn out. All gravel. Utilities are shared, so have plenty of water hose. Stay only if you must.

koko
09-02-2015, 09:27 AM
We're on a long road trip to the Pacific Northwest. As we are KOA people, wanted to report on a few in California and Oregon: Coleville, CA - beautiful little KOA just over the California border from Nevada; Visalia, CA - nice KOA, nice pool but old and sadly affected by drought. Really good location to see Sequoia NP; Mariposa, CA - very pretty campground and perfect for going in and out of Yosemite; Crescent City, CA - we've been there before and were just as pleased this time. The Redwoods in the area and in their campground are spectacular; Bandon, OR - what a great surprise. Nice KOA and great location. Bandon has some of the prettiest beaches we've ever seen; Lincoln City, CA - that's where we are now. We're laying low here until after Labor Day, then off to Astoria/Seaside.

Pull Toy
09-02-2015, 01:48 PM
North Brattleboro, VT KOA: 5+++.

Small and family owned. Ernie and Bev have everything you need for a first class stay! Not fancy, or precocious, but quiet, clean, well stocked store, and lots to do within 30 minutes in any direction. Small dog enclosure for exercise, and be sure to feed the pony and goats. Giant farm stand right next door.

koko
09-12-2015, 08:39 AM
At Astoria/Seaside. This KOA is amazing. Indoor and outdoor pool, beautiful playground for kids, right across the street from Fort Stevens and beach access within 5 minutes. 500 sites counting cabins and tent sites - huge. Large spaces with trees. Wish it was closer to home! Waves and Wheels Antique Car Show (every year) is here, which was a great surprise.

CWtheMan
09-27-2015, 05:08 PM
Kampgrounds of America (KOA).

If you’re a traveler you’re going to see the very distinctive KOA sign in every state. They are a huge well organized campground organization. They provide campgrounds from the most up scaled to the smallish country type campgrounds that made them popular.

For the most part KOA campgrounds are situated in locations that make access to them easy and convenient. Sometimes the larger ones are managed buy people that are a pan in the butt. Others that are smaller and managed by families that live on site will have a warmer atmosphere about them.

Being constant movers/travelers for most of our full time years we have used a lot of the KOA campgrounds. Most I’ve already written about somewhere in a blog or campground review. I’ll copy those and post them here for this forum to view.

When we first started traveling full time we joined KOA to get their 10% discount. Once they started giving retired military 15% discounts we let our membership expire. At that time we had a gold card with 15% discount.

Here is the first installment, so to speak.

KOA Yermo, CA

Because there are so many military RV Parks/Campgrounds in California we seldom stop at civilian campgrounds. Here is an exception. While traveling with our friends west out of NV on I-15 I was in the lead trailer and behind an 18 wheeler. When the 18 wheeler made a sharp move from the RH to LH lane I followed it but he hit the very large tire tread he was trying to avoid. I barely missed it with the truck tires but it went under the RH side of our trailer and hit both RH tires. The front one blew immediately and the rear one was almost flat by the time I got stopped on the emergency lane.

After replacing the destroyed tires with my spare and my friends spare I needed to find replacements. The trucker had stopped to make sure we were ok and helped with the tire changing. He said we might be able to get tires in Baker, CA - not far away. No trailer tires there but the garage manager called ahead to Barstow, CA and found a place that had them. So we decided to drive on because there was a KOA near there in Yermo, CA.

http://koa.com/campgrounds/barstow/snapshot/

Now that KOA has a crazy layout. They built it around the existing trees/shrubs and you have to actually zigzag into many of the sites. Other than that we found it a great place to stay for a couple of days in the desert. It was spring and the weather was dry and smog free. The collage kids working there were super helpful with all inquirers/requests. The camp store was well stocked and the prices were very reasonable. We were impressed with the whole operation. We spent two nights there and enjoyed every minute of it. Got some replacement tires - at a very reasonable price - and got the spares squared away.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=12580
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=12581
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=20172
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=20173

CWtheMan
09-27-2015, 05:19 PM
Our grand daughter went to Armstrong Atlantic State University in Savannah, GA so whenever we were in the area we visited with her. This KOA was as close as we could get so we stayed there numerous times during her collage years. It can best be described as the bottom of the KOA food chain. Improvements - if any - have been few and mostly necessary. The sites are level but hard to get into and out of, even the pull thrus. Mainly because of the tall pine tree locations. They have a nice large RV wash rack at the entrance and if you ever stay there during some rain you will find out why, it becomes a sandy marsh. For me, the very best amenity is their large well stocked lake. If there for more than a day or two I’ve always got at least one Bass of more than three pounds from that lake.

http://www.koa.com/where/ga/10128/
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15485
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15486

CWtheMan
09-27-2015, 05:25 PM
Heading east on I-10 we knew we were going to stay at this KOA because we had penciled it in during our lunch stop. We called ahead to check on availability and were told there would be no problem if we got there early (4 PM).

Little did we know just how tight the overnight parking sites were. But they are easy to get into and with a little maneuvering we got our 57' rig into the 62'-65' (?) site. It was a FHU with 50 amps and CATV & WiFi included.

Easy fuel stop before getting back onto the highway was a plus. All in all a very nice overnighter stopping place.

http://koa.com/campgrounds/lafayette/
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=19934
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=19933
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=19935
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=19936

Nice fishing lake.
Large grassy field for hitting golf balls.
We don't put our big slide out when just spending the night.

CWtheMan
09-27-2015, 05:36 PM
This is probably the most expensive one we've stayed at and for sure the strictest. As you can see in the pictures it was the off season. I was here to do some golfing with my brother-in-law - he owns a year round condo - and Linda spent her time at her brother’s condo basking pool side and shopping.

Our site was a FHU - 50 amp - back-in - with CATV. Lots of room and quiet for a KOA. It’s in a great location and easy to get into and out of. A very nice place to stay for a short stop. )If you can put-up with the disposition of the staff).

http://myrtlebeachkoa.com/
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15473
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15475
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15476
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15474

Hideout17
09-29-2015, 10:44 AM
Our grand daughter went to Armstrong Atlantic State University in Savannah, GA so whenever we were in the area we visited with her. This KOA was as close as we could get so we stayed there numerous times during her collage years. It can best be described as the bottom of the KOA food chain. Improvements - if any - have been few and mostly necessary. The sites are level but hard to get into and out of, even the pull thrus. Mainly because of the tall pine tree locations. They have a nice large RV wash rack at the entrance and if you ever stay there during some rain you will find out why, it becomes a sandy marsh. For me, the very best amenity is their large well stocked lake. If there for more than a day or two I’ve always got at least one Bass of more than three pounds from that lake.

http://www.koa.com/where/ga/10128/
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15485
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15486

Thanks for that info. We will be in savannah in December to visit my daughter for Xmas. The KOA is one place we have looked at. My daughter may have another place for us.

crash
10-12-2015, 08:03 AM
We had reservations for 3 nights pull thru full hook up at KOA williamsburg Va. this past weekend,Made them over amonth ago.( we have been going here for 6 years 4 times a year) like the place cause its only an hour away,Get down there friday afternoon and they only had us down for 1 night in a site we could'nt even fit into,no other sites all booked up,Then I find out by the cashier that when I made the reservations he said that all the sites we could have fit in were booked up 2 weeks before that, we had to turn around and go back home:banghead:,What a way to run a campground ,We will never go back to this place again,Thanks for letting me vent:D

GaryWT
10-12-2015, 10:50 AM
That is a shame, why did they just tell you they were full. I would be made if I towed and then had to go home.

Way Of Life
10-12-2015, 09:20 PM
Spent a couple of nights here this past weekend as what a disappointment. The only positive element was that the park was just recently purchased by a younger family. It was a breath of fresh air to be greeted by someone that's not old enough to be Muthuzala.

The park itself is not in that bad of shape but the over abundance of long term campers creates a very unpleasant atmosphere. Most were run down with trash and excess clutter every where as well as some make shift skirting. The least they could do is group them together and create a skid row if you will. What a let down.

crash
10-13-2015, 03:54 AM
Just got an e-mail from the owners wife of the Williamsburg koa apologizing and offering us a free weekend of camping if we would come back.Since they screwed up.What yall think about that?

Hideout17
10-13-2015, 05:38 AM
Just got an e-mail from the owners wife of the Williamsburg koa apologizing and offering us a free weekend of camping if we would come back.Since they screwed up.What yall think about that?

Give them another chance

bsmith0404
10-13-2015, 05:53 AM

It'd have to be a premium site. Giving them another chance is one thing, but what are they doing to make sure this doesn't happen again?

koko
10-13-2015, 09:17 AM
Definitely give them another chance. We've stayed in over 50 KOAs all across the country and in almost every state. In all our years of experience with them, we've honestly had only about 5 or 6 bad ones, and they weren't even worth obsessing about. When you're on a 2-month road trip, believe me, it's nice to know that there's some pretty good consistency in all of them. Sometimes they've just become a KOA and are struggling to get the park up to par. We stayed at one in Oregon last month that had brand new owners (less than a year). They were a young family with lots of great plans, dreams and work ahead of them. Also, a lot of them hire temporary staff for the season and find them just not up to dealing with lots of different types of customers.

While we're on here, stayed in Burlington, WA - near Anacortes and North Cascades National Park. Perfect location. Pretty plain-Jane but clean; Ellensburg, WA - very nice and near some small wineries; Starbuck, WA - in the middle of nowhere, this has to be one of the most interesting KOAs we've ever experienced. All back-in sites facing a marina, but it was near a beautiful waterfall called Palouse Fall. The campsites were level but all up a hill from the marina and office, and walkways were steep and poorly lit at night. It was clean and had a nice little restaurant on-site; Boise, ID - large and clean; Brigham City, UT - nothing to write home about.

GmaPaTime
10-14-2015, 09:22 AM
Our travels this season brought us to three KOA's, each in different states.

Hagerstown KOA, MD - Worst KOA we've every stayed at. Very tight to get around and sites are very small. Because they have live stock on the grounds, place smells if down wind.

Watkins Glen KOA, NY - Very nice place and very friendly folks running it. Nice large sites and very clean.

Cape Hatteras KOA, NC - One of our favorites as it's an easy walk to the ocean. Quite large and is packed during the summer months. Lots of activities and a great large pool.

Steve

Hideout17
10-26-2015, 03:55 PM
This is a double post. Our first koa was just outside of charlotte at exit 88. The campground was ok. Dog park was usable. The check,in for the off season was at a gas station 150 yds away. They tried to give us one spot where the trailers on each side would have been 3ft apart and neither of us,could have used our awning. They were very helpful in giving us another site. There is a publix grocery store with in walking distance. Overall isay experience was good.

The koa in savannah is great. It's of exit 87 on I29 E. Go by directions on site dont punch it in gps. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. Nice size sites. Dog area is ok. Very pleased with this koa. Highly recommended.

Richard Noble
11-15-2015, 12:34 PM
Mount Rushmore, SD. Rate it a 2. $80+/nite and everything is additional cost. Premium site but could not see any difference from other (non-premium) sites. Lots of stuff for kids. Most staff were OK but a few were rude. It is in a valley so no cell phone service. Not to far from Rapid City for shopping. Not worth the cost.

kmc58
07-31-2016, 06:03 PM
Both campgrounds are excellent. Will give them a 5 rating.

We took a family vacation to Myrtle Beach. The KOA has plenty of activities for everyone. So many activities you really don't have to leave the campground. The beach is about 2 blocks with a shuttle service at the top of the hour! We reserved a deluxe camping site with a concrete patio and private deck overlooking the lake.

The Cherokee KOA is also very nice. We stayed there and visited Harrod's Casino. Very clean! Nice folks!

GADuv
08-02-2016, 08:36 AM
Can someone give me a rundown of the KOA in Granite City, IL. Unfortunately no spots available on the West side.

Mandolin
09-24-2016, 03:34 PM
It's funny, I have never stayed at a KOA before, but next month (Oct 2016) I will be at the KOA in Petaluma, CA for a couple nights and then in Feb 2017 we will be at the KOA in Tucson, AZ for about 10 days.

http://koa.com/campgrounds/tucson-lazydays/

Looks like a "resort" KOA.

The drive from here to there is about 18 hours so we will have to do at least one overnight, maybe two. I don't like to drive more than 8 hours per day over multiple days. Maybe somewhere near Modesto and then in Banning. Our son lives near Los Angeles, but not anywhere we could bring a trailer and I don't really want to deal with that kind of traffic with a trailer, so we will skirt the area via Bakersfield - Tehachapi - Hesperia to Riverside.

I've never been to AZ on vacation (I've been through and I have been to Phoenix for work), so we will see what it is like.

cardinal96ss
09-25-2016, 06:34 AM
Manchester, TN KOA- Spent three nice nights here for visits to Jack Daniels and George Dickel Distilleries and Nashville. Pull thru sites, we were ungraded to a level concrete site with a small patio with umbrella table and four chairs. Arrived very late, but were met by staff who led us to the site and helped us set up. Owners were friendly and available. Some small cabins on site. Bathrooms were nice, clean. Access is easy and near a Starbucks.

Dave W
09-25-2016, 04:44 PM
We are on the last night of a 5 week trip and have spent many nights in a KOA much the same as we had done last year. So with that said, I'll give a quick rundown on a few

Jonestown/Hershey PA began here, ending here. Sites range from small to large, playground acceptable, roads can be difficult with confusing traffic pattern. Folks at the desk accommodating as the first site they assigned us was too small for our 58 feet of overall length but there is an Allegro Bus there now. Good for a nights stay. 3.5 'stars'.

Staunton, VA Beautiful CG. Clean, groomed but again somewhat confusing traffic and a bit tight. 4.5 'stars'

Wytheville, VA. Decent, clean, sites a bit out of level but not bad. Very helpful staff. Nothing spectacular though there is a small pond on site. 4 stars.

Lookout MTN/Chattanooga West KOA It may have been a good KOA for many RVers, but the sites were virtually impossible to back into (yes, mostly back ins here) with any trailer over 30' as they had 'strategically placed' boulders defining the site end and railroad ties outlining each. I tried two but ultimately asked for my money back (and received it) and went elsewhere. For me, it has to be a 2 'stars' but others may rate it higher.

Grants, NM Clean, level, reasonable, pleasant staff, complimentary breakfast. Unfortunately, the town and business district has been destroyed by Walmart so not much locally to see except a BNSF train every 15 minutes or so. 4 'stars'.

Green River, UT. Windswept but similar to Grants above though no train and the fact I-40 has 'killed' the US 66 town instead. Very good complimentary breakfast. 4 'stars'

Lubbock, TX. For overnight, OK, if you like to smell refinery odors. The desk help - poor, site barely sufficient size with smelly water. 2 'stars'.

Hagerstown, MD. (from last year) Go somewhere else Surly help, too many filthy permanent RVs and sites with way too many vehicles, dust roads, out of control kids. No stars - should NOT be a KOA though someone could clean it out and make a go of a potentially beautiful location.

There were more such as Colorado Springs, Durango and Cedar City which were just fine - with at least 4 'stars'. Many KOA's are along highways or railroads and may have more noise pollution then some folks can handle. Unfortunately, this is a way of life now:banghead:

koko
09-25-2016, 07:02 PM
We recently stayed at three KOAs: KOA in Red Lodge, MT-It's the perfect distance from town, 4 miles. Beartooth Highway right there. Close to Billings for a day trip. Needs some TLC but had big sites, fairly level, very clean bathrooms and laundry room, nice pool. Sheridan, WY KOA-Was in need of updating, but there are new owners who will be working hard to get it up to speed. Sites were pretty tight, and the sites need leveling. It had a nice pool. Laramie, WY KOA-Right next to I-80, so there's truck noise, but the KOA itself is extremely nice. Very level sites and everything clean.

Tbos
09-28-2016, 04:55 PM
In Aug we stayed at the West Chester PA KOA. I'd give it a 4.5. The family that owns it, runs it and they are very nice. The CG is a little hilly but sites were close to level and many had plenty of space. They had special events for the kids and in the case of the giant water slide they brought in on Saturday for us much older kids too. The pool was nice too. The public roads going in are narrow and can be challenging. Take it slowly and be careful and you'll be ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mfifield01
09-29-2016, 09:50 AM
What does a park need to do to become (or stay) a KOA?

I have been looking at parks in Texas and they appear to be former KOAs. They typically get good reviews, but aren't KOAs anymore. Just wondering why they are no longer a KOA.

koko
09-29-2016, 10:59 AM
A campground that is KOA follows their guidelines. This includes frequent inspections. We've stayed at KOAs when the giant corporate semi-sized RV rolls in. Inspectors go over the whole park and then sit down with the owners. They grade the KOA and give a critique of changes that should be made - things like cleanliness, the store, the condition of the sites and roads, water/septic systems, etc. Also, after each stay, the customer has the opportunity to rate their stay and make comments. KOAs can win awards based on these ratings, which are prominently displayed in the KOA Campground Directory. Directories are free of charge at any KOA. I don't know how much it costs the owner to be in the KOA network, but I would think it would be pretty significant.

We've stayed at a few bad KOAs - there are so many KOAs that there are bound to be a few (at last count we've stayed in over 70 all over the USA). Sometimes when we get the new Directory, we look, and the bad ones are no longer KOAs! We've also stayed at a few where a new owner just took over or the campground just became a KOA, and there's LOTS of work to be done to get it up to par. Twice on our last trip we stayed at KOAs that had just changed hands - older couples had sold (they just couldn't keep up anymore), and both needed TLC but had so much potential with just a few changes). On a whole, we've had very good experiences (we've never stayed at one that we'd absolutely refuse to return to (except for Brigham City, UT that had goatshead weeds instead of grass-ouch). Price ranges for us have been between $32 and $65 (usually midway). We've been members for 15 years, so we get 10% off of every stay; and membership is so cheap that you make it up after just two or three stays.

Mike484
09-29-2016, 11:09 AM
We are planning to stay at the KOA at Onalaska Texas on Lake Livingston during Thanksgiving week. Great reviews and we just had some friends that stayed there that recommended it.

Anyone here ever camp there?

mfifield01
09-29-2016, 12:08 PM
We are planning to stay at the KOA at Onalaska Texas on Lake Livingston during Thanksgiving week. Great reviews and we just had some friends that stayed there that recommended it.

Anyone here ever camp there?My buddy has stayed at that KOA. He said it's really nice and plans to go back.

I've only stayed in a true KOA once (Lubbock, TX). It was great as an overnight stop.

Pmedic4
09-29-2016, 06:55 PM
On a recent trip to the UP Michigan, we stayed at 2 different KOA's in Wisconsin. Both were nice, clean and everything you'd expect from a KOA. The one we really liked was in Hancock WI, which looked very new, with exceptionally nice facilities. The log cabin lodge was well done, and a nice facility. The woman at the lodge, I assume owner(?) was very friendly, and had a person take us to the site. From what we could tell, all the sites were pull-thru, with lots of room between sites, with trees, and space at the end for your vehicle(s). Would highly recommend it.
The Madison KOA, actually in De Forest WI, was also nice, clean, but the spaces were fairly small, and no trees. Facilities were good too.

Overall, we used these sites as one night stops on our longer trip, so didn't spend more than one night. The one in DeForest WI is just a few miles down the road from a Camping World, if you need any anything. :)

jsmith948
10-08-2016, 06:04 PM
We are currently on a trip taking us to New Jersey, down the coast to Hatteras and Jekyll Island and then back to California. We have stayed at the following KOA campgrounds: Bryce Canyon, UT; Silt, CO; Goodland, KS; St. Louis, MO; KOA Dayton, OH; Mercer KOA, PA; KOA Hatteras, Rodanthe, NC; Travelers Rest KOA, Travelers Rest, SC; Nashville East KOA, Nashville, TN; North Little Rock KOA, Little Rock, AR. All of these KOA campgrounds were okay. Some were better than others, but, they were all okay. Tonight we had planned on staying in El Reno, OK. This KOA is terrible. The sites are 8 ft wide gravel strips with about 3 or 4 ft of grass between each pad. The site we were assigned was plenty long enough but we would not have been able to open either of our apposing slides. The lady managing the CG was trying to be helpful. she said we could pull our rig forward so we could open our slide, but, that would have had our slide 2 feet from our neighbor's door. We asked for a refund. She was very gracious and even secured us a reservation at another KOA 60 miles further west. She admitted that the park was old and in need of renovation.
The point of this post is not to slam the KOA camp grounds. Our experience has been mostly positive. Just a heads up - if you are traveling through Oklahoma on I-40, you might want to by-pass El Reno West.

Campy
10-09-2016, 06:59 AM
2012 KOA Mt. Rushmore was a complete disaster, premium site had huge mud hole when we arrived and when asked to be moved it was a "take it or leave" attitude. They did fill in the hole but only made it muddier. Will stay elsewhere if we ever go back to that area.

KOA near us in Dayton Ohio was a quick get away and it is a super nice place. We did get woken up one night to find people sitting in our chairs drinking been and chatting up a storm. When I went out and ask what's up they all made their way out of our site leaving the beer cans for us to deal with!

Most recent KOA was Mackinaw city Michigan. This was a nice peaceful place but needing some attention on some items but would stay there again no problem.

Mandolin
10-12-2016, 05:52 PM
The KOA in Petaluma ("San Francisco North" although it is a good 40 miles north of San Francisco) depended entirely on the "where."

The trip down we stayed in a back-in slot at the north side of the campground. 30amp, water, some sort of cable hook up (we don't use), internet, no sewer. It was quiet, not much campground noise, not much highway noise. Lots of trees and some vegetation between sites. Tiny bathhouse with 2 very small shower stalls with nowhere to put towels or clothing to keep them dry.

On the trip back up we stayed on the south end of the campground, near the road, in a pull-through spot that our 26' trailer (22' box, 4' of hitch) barely fit in, much less our trailer AND truck. Several rigs around us were the same position. 30 & 50 amp, water, sewer, cable, internet. Lots of people speeding through the very narrow roads in the campground, our picnic bench was actually on top of the sewer connection for the next site over. A ton of road noise, no trees, everyone crammed next to each other. Much larger bathhouse, 6 shower stalls, changing area outside the shower.

There isn't much other choice in the area, though, so plan accordingly. As an overnight stop it was passable (at $65 a night), for any other length of time probably not.

Barbell
11-05-2016, 05:47 AM
We have stayed at KOAs in Limon, CO, Staunton, VA, Baton Rouge, LA. None were very good. At Staunton, half the sites had no sewer, the roads were very tight, dog poo around our site, Baton Rouge was not clean, muddy roads. Limon was the same. Koa is always a last resort for us. Most any other park has been better. COE parks even with no sewer are preferable.-0

koko
11-05-2016, 06:40 AM
Our experiences with KOA are usually excellent. Just stayed at Beaver, UT KOA, Laughlin/Avi, NV KOA (for 3 weeks) and Fillmore, UT KOA on our way home -- all wonderful!

Mandolin
02-12-2017, 08:17 AM
Did our first long trip in the trailer, Southern Oregon to Tucson, about 1,300 miles each way. On the way down, stayed in Lodi, Ca, Banning, Ca then Tucson, on the way back stayed in Kingman, Az, Bakersfield, Ca, Orland Ca, then home.

Discovered that 350 miles or so a day is about the max we are willing to spend towing, hence the 4 days home after only 3 days there.

We have a 26' (ball-to-bumper) Keystone Hideaway 21FQ pulled by a 2013 Ford F150 V8 with the tow package and 3.73 rear end.

We travel with our own Verizon Wifi and VPN, we don't have a TV or use cable, we tend to use the park's showers and restrooms and on an overnight basis often don't connect to the sewer or water. We only need 30amp. All the overnight sites were pullthrough and we didn't even unhitch.

With the exception of Tucson, everywhere was off off-season and uncrowded.

The KOAs were:
Tucson Lazydays RV Resort (8 nights). Definitely the most "upscale" place we stayed. Huge, clean, friendly. We had a grapefruit tree and a little grass at our site plus a concrete patio, table and chairs. Level gravel pad. Very friendly people. Nice pool and spa, a little "cantina" on site. Pull-through slot. Pros: clean, well-kept. Cons: in a bad part of town, noise from the airport and air base. Nicely paved roads, which leads to the other downside: huge RVs and trucks going FAR too fast on the narrow park roads. People, the speed limit in the park is "9 3/4" miles per hour, not 15-20. The park is jammed with people, kids, dogs and you cannot stop that behemoth that fast. It won't kill you to creep through the park, honest.

Banning, Ca KOA (1 night). It is small and old, but we had a nice spot, backed up to a beautiful view of the mountains right behind. Highway noise, but the drone of I-10 is pretty much constant, so it is easy to tune out or mask with a white noise generator on low. Some of the spots on the other side are along the fence for the baseball diamond at the high school(?) next door. That could be really noisy. Only 2 showers for the entire camp.

Kingman AZ KOA (1 night). Again an older park, but off the highway and quiet. Has a permanent resident mobile home section and that is somewhat noisy, but not bad. This is not a "resort" despite being labeled one. Yes, there is a pool (although it was closed) and a small spa plus a kid's park and a very small dog park.

Other parks:
Bakersfield RV Resort (probably the most upscale after the Tucson park)

Orland Parkway RV Resort (not a resort, fine place to overnight, well off the highway - we were there during a series of torrential storms, the park roads were dirt/gravel with huge puddles, but probably not indicative of regular conditions)

Lodi Flag City RV Resort - perfectly fine for overnight, level pad. A bit of highway noise but not much. Not seeing the "resort" in the name, but around the larger cities in California there are a LOT of "RV parks" that get 1-2 reviews on the various sites. This was clean, the site was easily large enough to pull through and not even unhitch.

Cove74
03-22-2017, 04:59 PM
The San Diego KOA is a great place to stay when visiting San Diego. I have stayed there 4-5 times and enjoyed it each time. Easy to get to from the freeway, shopping for groceries is close and it is not far from the major attractions. Many people like Campland at the Bay but it is a pricey private park that is very busy, especially with kids. I much prefer the KOA.

We stayed at the KOA in Chula Vista (San Diego) last June. Big place, nice sites even though they are a little close together. Great amenities....loved being able to rent a car onsite!