PDA

View Full Version : Route 58 in VA

Inigomontoya
07-28-2018, 10:38 AM
Does anyone know the type of road route 58 is from Abingdon Va to Danville Va? I want to go from the Cumberland Gap to the coast, but am concerned with hills.

fjr vfr
07-28-2018, 10:56 AM
I have been on much, (not all) of it maybe 10 years ago. As I remember around Damascus toward Independence is lots of undulating curves. I remember having a lot of fun on my motorcycle there. After that it mellows out some up till Danville.

After Danville it's pretty level the remainder of the way. Again, as I remember from years ago.

xrated
07-28-2018, 03:03 PM
Damascus towards Grayson-Highlands State Park is twisty. When we camped there a few weeks ago, I stayed on I-81 all the way to Marion, then took 16 down to 58.....going west toward Grayson-Highlands State Park. Beyond G-H SP towards Damascus is a lot more twisty than the section we took. I've been on it on a motorcycle years ago and it's a lot of fun........pulling a trailer, I avoided it.

flybouy
07-28-2018, 04:23 PM
Where on the coat are you heading?

cdotson
07-29-2018, 12:32 PM
Just drove the section between Martinsville and South Boston last month and thought it was pretty easy. There's a few stoplights on hillside just west of South Boston, but the going is slow enough there it wasn't too big a deal (my TV is a stick shift half ton and I run near GCWR).

Between Independence and Hillsville it's hilly but not twisty and most of it is easy divided 4-lane. Can't say I've been west of Independence and don't recall the stretch between Hillsville and Martinsville.