PDA

View Full Version : A clean 5th wheel is a happy 5th wheel

BIG KAHUNA
07-22-2018, 04:19 AM
Now that we took the plunge last week and became full-timers, without a brick and mortar to fall back on, I'm wondering how everyone keeps the exterior of their homes clean since 'MOST" RV resorts don't permit onsite cleaning.

66joej
07-22-2018, 05:39 AM
Yes it's odd they won't let you wash your own but in many RV parks we have stayed at almost daily there is a wash service outfit cleaning an RV.:(

Canonman
07-22-2018, 05:46 AM
Get a long handled brush and a squeegee. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flow-Thru-Wash-Brush-with-Soap-Dispenser-and-Squeegee/23752087
I simply use a bucket of water, no soap, no hose. I dunk the brush in the bucket and wash. Then squeegee the sides and then a quick wipe with a towel. Even works pretty good for bugs on the front cap. Sometimes the cap needs a bit of a scrub with a pad but most times the brush does the trick.
The no wash rule is usually there to keep folks from using too much water and creating a mess. Never had any one say anything about a quick "touch up" using only a bucket of water:)

ctbruce
07-22-2018, 05:14 PM
Dont know if it's TRUE or not, but a buddy told me that Blue Lantern in Kansas City charges $25 to do the trailer exterior. Next time it needs it, I'm going to investigate further.

Frank G
07-22-2018, 07:46 PM
I was staying at a KOA in New Orleans and was granted washing privileges at no charge and at our winter resort washing is permitted and you are encouraged to keep your unit clean. They are all different, it never hurts to ask.

ADQ K9
08-17-2018, 01:47 PM
Mine gets cleaned before and after use, When pulled out of storage clean off the a spruce needles leaves etc. When put back into storage, I hose the bugs and road grime off. All done at my house but might take it to the big indoor wash before I store it this fall or ask my buddy of I could borrow his shop to wax it. before I winterize. Truck and trailer are both happy when clean.

JimMach1
08-17-2018, 03:38 PM
I have been to many campgrounds and they say no washing you rig that being said I’ve seen the same bucket of water and a brush nobody said anything to them. I use quick detailer and spray wax from mequiars. It works for us except for the bugs I use bug and tar remover from sea foam.

Alpine
08-17-2018, 09:15 PM
I have found even the "no washing" places will allow you to wash your front cap...that is because they allow the motor homes to was the windshields, which are comparable in size! Being a fulltimer, I for sure don't want the bugs to weld themselves to the cap.