PDA

View Full Version : water pump leak

Thumbs Up
07-21-2011, 07:53 PM
my water pump leaks for a few seconds right after it shuts off. It is doing this everytime after it runs. The water appears to be coming out of the front area of the pump, not at the pipe connections. Has anyone ever seen this?

Festus2
07-21-2011, 08:28 PM
The cause of the leak might be a faulty valve assembly. If you can, take the pump apart and check it. Replacement kits are available for most brands and models. When you winterized your unit, did you make sure that there was no water left standing in the pump? If there was water and it froze, it may have cracked one of the plastic interior pieces or the pump head itself.
You might also want to take a look at the check valve-- If you have noticed city water entering your fresh water tank, this could be a another cause of the leak.

Thumbs Up
07-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks for you help! For winterizing, I put RV anti freeze in the system and ran the pump. I figured the anti freeze would also protect the pump. I havent noticed any city water getting into the fresh tank. I think this is an internal pump problem. I'll take it apart and let everyone know what I found.

We did have a nasty winter!

chuck&gail
07-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Another possibility. Many pumps have a filter screwed on to the pump where the hose from the freshwater tank joins. On our last TT the entire end of the pump screwed off to clean filter. If you have similar pump, try just tightening the end of the pump, maybe it just unscrewed a bit?

Thumbs Up
07-31-2011, 11:01 AM
Turns out it was the plasic pressure swich housing on the front of the pump that was cracked. I'm attempting a 2 part epoxy repair. If that doesnt work, i'll just buy a new pump. (A whole new pump is only $10 more than the diaphram pressure switch assembly)