PDA

View Full Version : Surge Protection

LeeMedic
07-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Who here plugs their RV into a Surge Protector? Is it necessary?

chuck&gail
07-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Towed fully enclosed TT's 100,000 miles so far. Never used a surge protector, no problems.

BUT

Because so many campgrounds have low voltage, especially when it is really hot so we really want the A/C, that we carry a Hughes autoformer to correct the low voltage.

LeeMedic
07-14-2011, 05:39 AM
I keep my RV plugged in while parked in my drive at home. Being I live in SW Florida, (the lightning capital of the world) we have plenty power surges.

So I purchased one for home use as well as camping. It is a cheap investment for the damage that can be caused if your RV is unprotected.

mhs4771
07-14-2011, 07:14 AM
50 amp portable, with 3/8" chain attached to chain it to the post so it doesn't grow feet and walk away.

Jim W
07-14-2011, 01:48 PM
When we bought our second 5er, I also bought a 50 Amp Surge protector for it. I am glad I purchased this device. We have been at two different camp grounds that have had electrical spikes caused by lighting strikes that the protector worked and saved the electronics in my camper.
We were in Shipshewana IN., the week of July 10. A very violent electrical storm pass thru on Monday AM, causing down trees and power lines. These in turn cause spikes to the camp ground electrical system, the protector did its job again.
Jim W.

jimc
07-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Appreciate any suggestions as to specific make/model/source
for protector.
Anyone had good luck with what?
Thanks,
Jim

Firecapt
07-14-2011, 06:55 PM
I installed a Progressive Industries hard wired unit into our 5er and couldn't be happier. Since installation it has cut power due to low voltage, and in one case badly wired post. If something goes wrong it tells you (through a code) what the problem is. This allows you to address the issue with the campground management. I have done so and it takes all of the guesswork and speculation out of the equation. Protects against surges, low & high voltage, bad ground, etc.

The company is extremely customer oriented and will help you through any issues or questions you may have. I have a story in this arena but won't recount it now.

While it is a bit more expensive than the portable units, the surge protection is better and you won't have to worry about getting it ripped off. Here is the website:

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw30c.htm

badge4
07-15-2011, 11:54 AM
We have the Progressive SSP 30 hooked up to our Retreat at our campsite and its the best insurance against surges one can buy for 100 bucks IMHO.

DTJ9610
07-15-2011, 12:48 PM
That is one thing I still need to invest in. How is Progressive rated vs. the ones that are at say camping world. Also is t better to get hardwired or portable.