PDA

View Full Version : Uncooperative Awning

Festus2
06-30-2011, 07:17 AM
We have had a problem with our manual awning in that when the awning is being retracted, one of the main arms (rh one), will not fit properly into its "partner". I have been using an extended pole to push on it while it is being retracted so that it will seat properly.
It seems like the awning is skewed a bit and not exactly 90 degrees to the side of the RV. When looking at the lines on the fabric, they are not quite parallel with the awning tube.
I think the solution is to slide the awning fabric along slightly but not sure if it should be slid along in the fixed top track or on the roller track. It also seems like there would be too much tension to do any sliding when the awning is out????
Questions....
1) Which end of awning do you move or slide---- at the top or at the bottom?
2) With the awning in or out?
3) Which direction ? to the left? to the right?

I am not fussy about doing anything to the awning roller that might end up loosing tension and have the whole thing suddenly unwind and become useless. Spring-loaded mechanisms make me nervous!

Any thoughts?

cumminsdad08
06-30-2011, 12:45 PM
i have a similar problem with the arms not folding together quite right. mine was fine untll on night we had a real heavy storm, and it shook the heck out of the awning (this is when i figured out i should have some sort of tie down, so you can leave those sugestions and comments out please;) ). i didn't really mess around with it yet, but it looks like i can just slide the inner arm out a little to compensate and help it "match" up a little.

as far as spring loaded stuff, they arn't so bad. once you get them figured out. ( i install overhead doors.)

Ron
06-30-2011, 08:15 PM
i had the same problem on my horse trailer, and how I fixed the problem is by sliding the awning in the rail on the trailer to line back up with the roller tube, then put a screw in each end to hold in place. When the awning is moved forward or back on the rail, it will put uneven tension on the roller tube causing it to not roll up a tru 90 degrees to the trailer. Also it will wrinkle the fabric slightly. Hope this helps...........Happy Campin Ron

Festus2
06-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Ron:
Did you slide the awning in the track/rail on the TT when the awning was rolled up or when the awning was out? I like the idea of putting a small screw in each end to prevent it from creeping one way or the other.

Ron
07-01-2011, 06:45 PM
If you slide the awning on the track rail on the trailer to match the fabric on the roller, it will realign itself. Roll the awning in then pull the awning on the track in line with the fabric that is on the inside portion of the roller. Hope this helps and that I have explained it properly. Happy Campin.........Ron

Mistral
09-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Also it will wrinkle the fabric slightly.

Anyway to stop it from wrinkleling...? I realigned mine and it wrinkles a lot and this making me crazy...:banghead:

Thank you.

geo
09-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Festus2 -

Check the ends of the awning. I would guess that you will find on the caps two types of "holes" opposite each other. One set will be only a hole in the first "shoulder", the other will be a hole through both "shoulders" of the end caps. Visit HD or other hardware store and get (in American terms) a couple of 2 inch long, one-eighth inch diameter cotter pins. Now, get some help both for pulling the awning out slightly and spotting you while up on a ladder. :) Extend the awning only a small amount so the smaller holes are parallel to the ground. You will probably find that the cotter pin will slide into these holes at that point and through a hole in the awning axle such that the pin will have pressure put on it from both end cap holes. Put pins in both end caps! Now the awning should be locked partially extended - and you shouldn't have to worry about the torsion suddenly unwinding as in some old cartoon. Wouldn't want to see you wrapped up in the awning rolling around the bar with little tweety birds flying around your head! :rofl:

Now that the awning torsion spring is locked, you should be able to align the material where it attaches to the RV as you desire. Once in place, just take the pressure off the cotter pins (by pulling the awning a slight amount) and remove them.

I need to post how I retensioned my slide awning in a similar manner. I do have a few pictures to show.

Ron