PDA

View Full Version : Reading Lights over bed

bennydog
08-16-2009, 12:36 PM
This one was interesting as fishing the wires had some surprises. If anyone wants to try this one let me know and I clue you in as to what I found. I actually installed one on each side and they pivot down for reading.

CUFFS054
09-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Come on Benny, don't be coy! Tell us already!

wgb1
09-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Yes, please do, because I have thought of replacing the awful "reading" lights above the bed. I want something a little more aimable and less obnoxious.

rrohrer
09-08-2012, 07:12 PM
looks nice. bet a lot nicer than the super bright light above my bed now

Mighty Ming
09-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Ya gotta give it up. !!! C'mon we'll buy you a beer at the CG. Deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAD
09-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Looks much nicer than the cheapo lights they tend to use these days!

Spill the beans on the install.

bennydog
09-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Yikes.... that was over 3 years ago, I did find the pictures though. I used power from the light that was in the center of the over the bed cabinet. Running the wires to the left which I did first I don't recall any issues, just used a stiff wire to go from the hole in the shirt closet over to the hole where the center light was. I had removed the light and made to opening larger to make it as easy as possible. It was the one on the right that turned out to be the challenge. After messing with it for quite some time I finely figured out that there was a "brace" inside the cavity running across my path. The way I wound up getting around this obstacle was to actually go over it. I was able to determine where it as right to left and then drilled a 2" hole over the top of it.
It made fishing the wire a little more time consuming but I was able to get it over the top of the brace and then I just covered the hole with an electric outlet cover "blank". The wires inside the side closets are mostly in wire mold. (removed for photo). We really like the lights as I can sleep and she can read.

Enjoy

Bob

CUFFS054
09-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Benny,
did you notch the brace or drill through it? Did you leave the original lamp hooked up?
tom

wgb1
09-10-2012, 06:46 AM
Yikes.... that was over 3 years ago,

Just noticed that! Well what the heck took you so long to tell us?!?!?!?!? :rofl:

bennydog
09-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Tom

I just drilled to the top of the brace. There is enough space between the brace and the underside of the cover for the wire to lay flat. And yes I left the center light hooked up.

Cheers

Bob