PDA

View Full Version : Roof tarp

tampajim
06-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Looking at a Passport 280 which is currently being stored in a storage lot. Since it will be sitting in a lot most of the time, can I cover the top with a tarp to help protect or will this actually make the rubber roof worse? I'm in Florida where it gets high 90's 9 months out of the year. Just don't want to come out to go camping and find a leak that has been going on for a while.

Festus2
06-29-2011, 06:23 PM
I would not recommend putting a poly tarp on your RV . Poly tarps do not "beathe" and the heat buildup and subsequent extremely high temperature between the tarp and the rubber roof could cause the rubber roof to bubble and separate. Not a good idea. Also a cause of moisture buildup inside the RV itself.
Some people have used a breatheable cover but I think the general consensus is not to use any type of cover. Strong winds cause the cover to billow and rub against the thin rubber membrane edges and may cause the rubber to wear excessively along the edges.
Instead, you might inspect your roof frequently and if necessary, apply self-levelling, EPDM rubber compatible sealant around those areas that often are the sources of leaks ------ roof vents, skylights, roof, antennas, etc. Regular inspection and maintenance of your roof are probably the best things you can do.

tampajim
06-30-2011, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the info...you bring up some good points. I may just pass all together on the trailer. I don't have room at my house for it and the thought of it on a storage lot out of sight and sound doesn't sit well with me. My popup is in the garage, protected. I can pull it out anytime and maintain it at any time.

MissHailey
04-18-2012, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't pass on the trailer all together! There are other options available! I bought a Wholesale Tarp (http://www.tarpsplus.com) online and it worked just fine in storing my RV, it's water proof so that you don't really have to worry about water getting in between the cover and the RV. Good luck with your search!:bdance:

Festus2
04-18-2012, 11:24 AM
If you are going to use a tarp to cover your RV, I would not recommend covering it with any kind of poly, vinyl or other material that is not breatheable. While it may be waterproof, it will trap moisture and condensation inside and does not allow good circulation of air. This is especially important in areas of heat and high humidity. Those kinds of tarps are also more abrasive to the sides of the RV and to the rubber roof edges where the rubber bends over the top to meet the sides. Others, however, may have had success using poly/vinyl tarps without any visible signs of damage.

f6bits
04-18-2012, 11:46 AM
I just did a search on 30’ trailer covers and they’re all in about the $250 range. Even if you find a more deluxe one for a bit more, that’s a small price to add onto the cost of a trailer.

rjsurfer
04-19-2012, 03:46 AM
I would not recommend putting a poly tarp on your RV . Poly tarps do not "beathe" and the heat buildup and subsequent extremely high temperature between the tarp and the rubber roof could cause the rubber roof to bubble and separate. Not a good idea. Also a cause of moisture buildup inside the RV itself.
Some people have used a breatheable cover but I think the general consensus is not to use any type of cover. Strong winds cause the cover to billow and rub against the thin rubber membrane edges and may cause the rubber to wear excessively along the edges.
Instead, you might inspect your roof frequently and if necessary, apply self-levelling, EPDM rubber compatible sealant around those areas that often are the sources of leaks ------ roof vents, skylights, roof, antennas, etc. Regular inspection and maintenance of your roof are probably the best things you can do.

Listen to Festus on this one, forget about covering it.

I purchased a nice cover for my truck camper a few years ago and it wasn't worth the trouble. My nice acrylic thermo windows got scratched, I could see wear on the edges of the rubber roof where the cover abraded it, smelled damp inside and I was always going back to re-adjust the tie downs.

My 2 cents...

Ron W.

CampDestinations.com
04-19-2012, 02:37 PM
There are also covered and/or indoor storage facilities in the Tampa area that might work better for you.

rhagfo
04-24-2012, 07:33 PM
A good ADCO cover is going to set you back about $400, they breath, but you need to protect any edge that is close to sharp! This was for my old "Starter 86 King of the Road" keep the dampness out (aluminum roof sweat), but withing three months had several small tears in it.

The Copper Canon, is currently uncovered, roof should be OK, but get tire covers well worth the $$$ to save your tires.

Mij
07-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Ive got $200 invested in the tarp setup for summer storage. Its a mesh tarp that blocks 70% of the sun but lets rain and wind thru. Obviously the attachment poles where free. It definitly keeps the sap and debrie off the roof and keeps the camper a ton cooler inside. I have a regular cover for winter storage. I know this one will not handle winter.