PDA

View Full Version : Huntsville in May

linux3
01-26-2018, 12:50 PM
We are planning a road trip for late April into May, call it 3 ~ 4 weeks.
Well, if you have a road trip you have to have a destination so I'm thinking Huntsville Al.
Starting from Western NY we have got to head south pretty quick.

Any thoughts on Henrietta NY thru Pittsburgh PA, Morgentown WV, Roanoak VA, Kingsport TN and on to Huntsville. Then maybe a little more Westerly returning.

I like to stay off interstates when possible. US routes are more scenic and I really am happy at 55 ~ 60 MPH and in no hurry.

Google maps is always trying to route us on interstates.

Tooth Ferry
01-29-2018, 10:04 PM
Down thru Virginia lots of history in small towns in Shenandoah Valley and east of !-85 . Thomas Jefferson's home and Univ of Va. You would come right to Great Smoky Mtn. NP, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge on down to Chattanooga (by the river downtown area) and lots of Civil War history in Georgia just out of Chatt. On down to Huntsville only 2-3 days, then back through Nashville, Mammoth Cave, Kentucky Horse Park Then for" real excitement" you could hit Goshen, In. where all the RVs are made. Free factory tours in beautiful Amish- Mennonite area.

gearhead
01-30-2018, 06:43 PM
Just out of Huntsville AL is Lake Guntersville State Park. They lost a lot of trees a few years ago to a storm, but overall a nice place.
I would also recommend Kentucky and The Bluegrass Parkway. Tour a couple distilleries...Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve are beautiful.