PDA

View Full Version : Kidde 🔥 extinguisher recall

mwalter
01-11-2018, 08:34 PM
FYI, the extinguisher furnished with my Bullet Premier FB19PR was one that needed replaced.

Tinner12002
01-12-2018, 03:27 AM
I haven't even looked at mine, guess I should check and see what they are.

cjm
01-12-2018, 09:02 AM
For those that had not heard, here is the link to the recall:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and

sbarlag
01-12-2018, 01:08 PM
Make sure you ask your dealer if they swapped out good for bad.

JimQ
01-13-2018, 01:20 PM
Thank You for posting this as I was unaware of this recall. I just completed the information page on the Kidde website and a new extinguisher is on the way. Instructions on what to do with the defective one will arrive with the replacement. For those who have not checked theirs yet, write down the model, serial #, color, and type( Lever or push button). Then locate it on the recall list and click. You will also need to enter the VIN of your RV. Good Luck!

mfifield01
01-13-2018, 02:39 PM
I got my replacement in December. They send a return FedEx label.

BigTexRex
01-13-2018, 02:58 PM
I've replaced my RV extinguisher, which is only good for a type "A" fire, with Fire Gone extinguishers that are for all types of fires (A, B, C, and K). I have one by the door, one in the kitchen and two in the bedroom.

vampress_me
01-19-2018, 06:14 PM
Interestingly, I got a recall notice from Keystone in the mail today on the Kidde fire extinguishers. (Safety recall 17V-755) But it's going to have to wait until April to check ours, camper in storage until then. But it reminded me to call Kidde about our house one. I did Kidde's online recall thing for that one in November and haven't seen a new extinguisher yet.

linux3
01-22-2018, 08:40 AM
My TT is also in storage till April but I had replaced the Kidde with a better one anyway.
Old one is still in the trailer and if it's subject to the recall I guess I'll get it replaced.

MSB1766
01-22-2018, 12:55 PM
Got the letter in mail this weekend, The fire extinguisher in my camper was
not part of the recall.
Mine is not the push button type, and the model number was not in the recall list.

Leatherman
01-22-2018, 02:04 PM
Mine is being recalled. From what I read the new one probably will not fit the old bracket as they probably will not have the exact model in stock. I never noticed it was only a Class B and Class C unit. I will get one that does everything since it is going to be replaced anyway.

mfifield01
01-22-2018, 02:09 PM
I had to remove the old bracket as it would not fit the new extinguisher. I might have gotten lucky, but the screws lined up on the new and old bracket.

rsl
01-23-2018, 02:15 PM
Got the recall over the weekend, went to storage today to get the info off the extinguishers. When I opened up the camper to check them I found out they were First Alert and not kiddie so I am all good.

PopBeavers
01-23-2018, 03:11 PM
I got a letter today from Thor Industries for my Keystone Cougar.

Ken / Claudia
01-23-2018, 04:21 PM
Mine says it is a First Alert. Not sure if that is a Kidde brand or not. I did not go to the web.

Tinner12002
01-24-2018, 04:23 AM
Finally got my recall from Thor for my Rapter, both extinguishers in mine were on the recall list. Went online to get new ones hopefully headed my way.

Dave W
01-24-2018, 05:25 AM
I too, got the letter - 3 months after the recall was begun. I had 3 either in the S&B or 5er plus one that they claimed wasn't but it was in the same part and serial number range so spent the twenty bucks and replaced it on my own. All 3 were replaced within 3 weeks, one of them with a better, refillable commercial version.

Be aware with 40 million on the recall that some of these, depending on which ones you have, are taking much longer to replace due to lagging supply of the components. Whatever you have now is still fine as long as there is no damage to the plastic handle (according to Kidde)

gkainz
01-24-2018, 07:15 AM
I just got the recall letter - haven't checked to see if mine are in the list of affected units.
I cynically expect this will be like the door lock recall - never received new locks...

Dave W
01-24-2018, 07:31 AM
I just got the recall letter - haven't checked to see if mine are in the list of affected units.
I cynically expect this will be like the door lock recall - never received new locks...

You are wrong! .

Kidde is not a small industry player but is owned by UTC (Pratt & Whitney) and have handled it properly

ADQ K9
01-24-2018, 09:03 AM
Got my notice yesterday, gonna take a look at it later today when it gets light.

Lee
01-24-2018, 12:43 PM
Hi all,

Received my notice in the mail today.

Went and looked at my fire extinguisher,... it's a Class B, C unit by First Alert so I guess I'm good.... well sort of,... thinking of replacing with an A, B, C, unit.

shiresoft
01-24-2018, 08:43 PM
Just got my notice in the mail today. I'll go and check this weekend.

JimQ
01-25-2018, 02:15 PM
Just and update: I received my replacement yesterday. A mere 11days from my filing the recall information. Pretty awesome. Repackaged the old one, placed the mailing sticker on the box, called FedEx and its on the back stairs awaiting pickup tonight before 8pm. Looks like the new bracket has the same screw locations. All good!

Jeepshots
01-25-2018, 10:23 PM
I've replaced four extinguishers thru this recall. Have one more waiting in the wings. It's a bigger one, and I got a notice that it's on back-order. But still, was a very easy transaction to complete on the first four.

Bisjoe
01-27-2018, 07:34 PM
Hi all,

Received my notice in the mail today.

Went and looked at my fire extinguisher,... it's a Class B, C unit by First Alert so I guess I'm good.... well sort of,... thinking of replacing with an A, B, C, unit.

Same here, notice today, and Fist Alert.

larriwerner
02-19-2018, 10:14 PM
I got my replacement. It was different than the one that came with my Premier 30RIPR. So I went to replace the bracket for the new one, but Keystone glued the old one to the wall. Any ideas?

Dave W
02-20-2018, 03:56 AM
........ the bracket for the new one, but Keystone glued the old one to the wall. Any ideas?

Try a heat gun but don't overheat the plasticized wall material. It may only be tape or contact cement. Ours was only screwed in place.

Leatherman
02-20-2018, 06:23 AM
A heatgun has worked for me in the past. They started to do that (glue along with screws) since most of them were falling off the wall.

BamaRam
06-15-2018, 06:48 PM
Just a warning to new owners, I bought my unit new in April with a recalled extinguisher. Do not take for granted that the dealer checked for the recall. I just went to the Kidde website and ordered a replacement. I'm becoming more disgruntled with my dealer every day.

xranchflunky
07-27-2018, 08:38 AM
Finally got around to filling out the online form(s). Had a total 4 recalled extinguishers between an older RV, the shop, the barn and the house. It is not just RV extinguishers that are being recalled, and a variety of different "Rebranded" names.

xrated
07-27-2018, 08:55 AM
We just got ours last week.....but here's the catch. We called them on Nov. 5th, 2017 to get the process started........so 8 1/2 months later, they finally show up. Multiple phone calls, lost records on their end.....it was a total "cluster"....if you know what I mean. Let's see, how should I rate their customer service.............WHAT CUSTOMER SERVICE? Absolutely Horrible! Oh, and the initial time line was 2-3 weeks.....so maybe just before the end of November! Yea Right!