PDA

View Full Version : Central PA to Disney

4LowNGo
11-07-2017, 02:57 PM
So I'm making the drive with kids and wife in toe. Not sure if I'm excited or not :confused::confused:. Anyways my question is, is my best way to go 81-77-26-95? Any overnight suggestion about half way of so? Thanks in advance!

Path2ground
11-07-2017, 04:09 PM
That’s the route we take out of Va. We usually find a spot around northern Jacksonville Fla area to stop. That gets us in at a good time the following early afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Path2ground
11-07-2017, 04:13 PM
Btw. I wasn’t sure I was excited the first time 6 years ago, been going every year since. You will have a blast! Just be careful of the construction in Orlando area, it’s usually a mess. Make sure your spare tire good to go. We picked up a bolt last spring break in the construction area down there on the Truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SchafferFamily
11-07-2017, 05:09 PM
I'd consider 81-64 over to Richmond and then down 95. Once at Richmond we had smooth sailing down to Fort Wilderness 2 years ago.

From Eastern PA, we went down 95-301-Richmond-95 because of the tunnel restrictions in Baltimore.

Our kids had such a good time and we would love to make the trip again. We stayed at a Hotel on the way down, but camped along the way back in South Carolina and then Williamsburg VA. A lot of the truck stops have RV lanes too, which was nice cause it had Gas / Diesel / Water / Sewer dump all in one location and the lanes were wider in and out of them.

Caoimhin
11-07-2017, 11:51 PM
As a Former NoVA resident, if it is reasonable for you to go 81-64 to Richmond from where you are at I would do it! stay away from BWI- The beltway and 95 to Richmond. I have never enjoyed that route no matter what I was driving/ riding.

Patrick

notanlines
11-08-2017, 02:26 AM
4LowNGo, I don't have any opinion on which route for you to take, but you have a problem. Your half-ton truck simply isn't enough vehicle. For all the money you are going to need to take with you the trip will require a one-ton at a minimum. Coming back won't be a problem. You won't have a nickel to call your own when you leave Disney World.....:eek:
Can you tell we have been there before?:D

hankaye
11-08-2017, 05:52 AM
4LowNGo, Howdy;

Personal opinion is that I would jump over to 95 on 64 to Richmond.
The sooner you can cross the better but stay away from the DC Metro area and B'more.

hankaye

4LowNGo
11-08-2017, 03:38 PM
So 81 is closes to me. I'll take that to 64 then 95. Thanks all!

MattHelm21
11-09-2017, 08:17 PM
We do the Disney trip almost every year and we leave from North West NJ. The fastest route to a high speed road for me is to get to the Turnpike in NJ but that drops me through the Baltimore/DC/Richmond corridor and that has simple gotten worse each year. All things being equal, the 81 - 77 - 26 - 95 route is now the best route for us. If I can, I’ll bypass Baltimore/DC/Richmond every time now. The only exception would be if you found the grades on 81 - 77 to be an issue then jump over on 64.

Hideout17
11-11-2017, 01:33 PM
There is a koa around savannah just off 95 that we have stayed at many times. Nice place. About 2 miles of 95

SummitPond
11-11-2017, 03:48 PM
If you are planning on I-95 and thinking of taking I-4 through Orlando, then you'll have to run the gauntlet on I-4, not something I enjoy doing in a car and would loathe pulling a trailer (lots of construction and bad traffic through Orlando). I'd suggest taking I-75 to the FL turnpike (you can buy an electronic pass at the I-10 or I-75 visitor's center as you enter the state reasonably cheap) and then sneak in the back way off the turnpike (again avoiding I-4) on FL-429.

You can get to I-75 from I-95 via I-10 at Jacksonville or take I-10 to US-301 and then down to I-75 (note that Starke and Gainesville are sometimes choke points if there's a college football game).