PDA

View Full Version : Bad repair after tire blowout

MegaRam
10-24-2017, 04:51 PM
Hello everyone. I had a tire blowout that took out the fender and sheetmetal around it. The dealer repaired it and I noticed it is rippling in the sun. The dealer said they never seen that happen. It is going back later this week to get fixed. I think they did a sloppy job in the first place. Does anyone know why it would ripple in the sun like this? Should it be installed with relief like you do vinyl siding to allow for expansion? I am not very happy with the dealer, they need to be micromanaged to get anything done. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171025/95f94c8070766407f73424ea9abaa313.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

sourdough
10-24-2017, 06:45 PM
That's not right - a very poor installation. The skirting should be smooth without all that mess. They either had someone that didn't know what they are doing or? I can't imagine a service manager letting that kind of job leave the shop.

chuckster57
10-24-2017, 06:49 PM
That's not right - a very poor installation. The skirting should be smooth without all that mess. They either had someone that didn't know what they are doing or? I can't imagine a service manager letting that kind of job leave the shop.

That’s what I was thinking. It wasn’t installed correctly.

notanlines
10-25-2017, 03:15 AM
Camping World For Myers did the repair on our Raptor ($9K) when the China-bombs blew and the skirting looked perfect. You don't need to be in the sun to see the crap job done on yours.

sourdough
10-25-2017, 09:53 AM
Back to your original question of the panel expanding etc. No, it does not as far as I know. If it's like mine the skirting (J panel I think it's called) comes in a pre formed length and the dealer does all their crude cutouts for the tires, doors etc. then places it under the seam to be screwed down under the transition strip down the side. It appears whoever did yours placed the skirting down the side under stress instead of just placing it under the seam and attaching it. The material is very thin and flimsy and you have to take your time and let it naturally fall into place; not push, pull or twist it.......which it appears they did. Hopefully they can fix it right the 2nd time around.

MegaRam
10-25-2017, 03:23 PM
Back to your original question of the panel expanding etc. No, it does not as far as I know. If it's like mine the skirting (J panel I think it's called) comes in a pre formed length and the dealer does all their crude cutouts for the tires, doors etc. then places it under the seam to be screwed down under the transition strip down the side. It appears whoever did yours placed the skirting down the side under stress instead of just placing it under the seam and attaching it. The material is very thin and flimsy and you have to take your time and let it naturally fall into place; not push, pull or twist it.......which it appears they did. Hopefully they can fix it right the 2nd time around.That is kind of what I was thinking but was not sure. Looking under where the skirting attaches to the frame it is not sitting correct, looks torqued and I can put my hand behind some spots where it should sit flat on the frame.

MegaRam
10-25-2017, 03:28 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. It is definitely a horrible job. I am usually a patient and forgiving person but my BS meter is pegged with this dealer. It took them from July to October to get parts in and the fix done. Luckily it did not stop my camping trips. Just had a banged up camper while camping.

sourdough
10-25-2017, 03:59 PM
That skirt more than likely has some supports that attach to it and then to the bottom of the flooring. MAKE SURE the put those back and attach them properly. When mine was repaired they stripped screws, left brackets loose etc. I went through and re-did them and added additional supports because if left the way I got it back the skirt would have been on the side of the road on my first trip.

MegaRam
10-25-2017, 04:01 PM
That skirt more than likely has some supports that attach to it and then to the bottom of the flooring. MAKE SURE the put those back and attach them properly. When mine was repaired they stripped screws, left brackets loose etc. I went through and re-did them and added additional supports because if left the way I got it back the skirt would have been on the side of the road on my first trip.Will do. Thanks!