PDA

View Full Version : Brake problems? burning?

Pennsylvaniasprinter
06-16-2011, 06:50 PM
On the first two occasions we took our brand new (2011) Sprinter out we have noticed that the brake lining seems to be heating up on our F150 truck when they are used often when going downhill. At first we thought it might be a problem with the electric brake controls (in the truck), however, that was tested and there is nothing wrong with it. Since we never had a problem with our other campers, it must be something with the brake system in the new camper. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing the problem and what we can check?

I thought I saw something on this site before regarding the brake wiring being pinched, however, I can't seem to find it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

richf28
06-17-2011, 12:40 AM
What year truck? I know the 2011 Ford f-150 with extended trailer package has built in sway control. It uses the the truck brakes to help control sway. I have one and have noticed it myself. It can be shut off. I might try that.

Pennsylvaniasprinter
06-17-2011, 08:52 AM
It's a 2008 f150...we towed the exact same model camper last year with the same truck...

hankaye
06-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Pennsylvaniasprinter, Howdy

Have you checked the fuse for the trailer breaks?

Have you done a "pull-test" whenever you hook-up to the trailer to ensure that the breaks are functioning?

Once hooked-up, ensure TV is in Park.
Chocks removed,
Then place TV in a forward gear ... MANUALLY apply trailer breaks attempt to ease forward. If you don't move the breaks work.
IF you DO roll forward, the Trailer breaks ar NOT working.

Something I do everytime I start out. Even if I just pulled into a rest area to "Freshin-up". I'll do a pull-check to make sure nothing has happened to that system.

hank

Terrydactile
06-17-2011, 10:12 AM
The first thing I would do is to verify that the TT brakes are working and adjusted properly. No TT brakes equals hot truck brakes.

hankpage
06-17-2011, 11:30 AM
If your TT brakes are working try adjusting your controller to apply trailer brakes sooner. If the trailer weighs more than or as much as the TV the trailer brakes should grab first or you will over-work the TV brakes. Your controller instructions should explain this. You also can try down-shifting instead of using brakes on long downhills.

hankaye
06-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Pennsylvaniasprinter, Howdy;

Truckers in general (not all ), will hit the top of a hill, allow to speed to drop another 5 mph. Stay in the same gear that got you to the top and then only use enough break pressure to slow you BACK DOWN to that 5mph lower speed after the vehicle speeds up a smidge...I only allow the TV to get 5 mph over my target speed.

When I came down I-80 from Park City to Salt Lake City I used the above method. Form the center of town exit at Park City to the I-215 S exit it is about 10.85 miles during which the road loses 2,143 feet of altitude..... BEAUTIFUL scenery! I had no problems.ast of

I do the same thing on Black's Mtn. (I-40E, just East of Ridgecrest, N.C. you can see the break inspection pull-off for the trucks on Google Earth) I believe the truck speed limit is 35mph and for cars it is/was 45 mph last time I went thru there.
Same again when you go thru "The Gorge" headed to Knoxville and Dollwood from Ashville on I-40W.

I am ONLY offering advise that I have found works FOR ME...

hankaye

Pennsylvaniasprinter
07-17-2011, 01:44 PM
We think the controller in the truck is working fine. We think the trailer's brakes are not working. I read somewhere how to check the brakes on the trailer but now cant find the information. We jacked the trailer up and the only time the wheel stopped was when we used the override on the controlled.

Where is the fuse for the brakes, does anyone know?