PDA

View Full Version : Help! Help! Feel so stupid..

TheDonna
10-03-2017, 07:30 AM
:banghead:

I have a brand new 2017 Keystone Hideout 17lhs and I have no idea how to get hot water.

Can someone give me simple steps to take to get hot water? I have an interview this afternoon and don't want to make a bad impression.

I ASSume I begin by turning the switch on the propane bottle to the on position?

Also I do not know if I should/am supposed to use the inside panel by the door for anything? No instructions/labels/directions in owners manual.

Sorry to be such a dummy. Can anyone explain to me what I need to do?

Thank you in advance!:bow:

earlzach
10-03-2017, 07:43 AM
Yes turn on propane. You may need to open a burner valve on your stove to get propane flowing.Then turn on your hwh. You will hear ticking then the sound of fuel burning. If you don't it will time out and try again. After a couple times recycle the power switch to begin cycle again. MAKE SURE THE TANK IS FULL OF WATER!

gregrc75
10-03-2017, 07:45 AM
Hello,
Make sure your propane is on.
There should be a panel with one or two switches, one with a drawing of a flame and a second with what looks like a lightening bolt. Some campers have both propane and electric hot water, some only propane. Make sure those switches (or switch) are on. Also, the hot water may take a minute to reach the shower from the hot water tank so let it run while you are feeling the water temp.

TheDonna
10-03-2017, 07:52 AM
I am currently hooked up to the city water connection at the rv park. Should I fill the other tank?

When you say turn on the hwh, do you mean the two black button things? Which one, the left or right?

Sorry for the questions, just don't want to break/bust anything!

Thank you so much for your quick reply :)

gearhead
10-03-2017, 08:02 AM
Worry about the "other" tank after you get the hot water solved.
Are there any labels on the 2 black switches?
When you open the hot water faucet does any water come out?

TheDonna
10-03-2017, 08:07 AM
no labels on the two black buttons when I turn on the hot water, water comes out, but it is not hot

gregrc75
10-03-2017, 08:10 AM
Does your panel look like this one? Photo 13.

http://https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/River-City-RV-2989226/listing/2018-Keystone-Hideout-26LHSWE-122341127 (https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/River-City-RV-2989226/listing/2018-Keystone-Hideout-26LHSWE-122341127)

Bisjoe
10-03-2017, 08:15 AM
On our Springdale the buttons are marked Electric and gas. We use electric when hooked up, gas when not, and both when showering for faster recovery rate. I wonder if they just left off the labels. It will take an hour or so after turning on either to actually get hot water.

TheDonna
10-03-2017, 08:29 AM
These are the panels, inside and out

I know the black switch on the panel of the first panel is for the light outside. Nowhere in my manual does it show what the other switch is for :(

ugh......

Reset buttons on the second panel, no label!

gregrc75
10-03-2017, 08:31 AM
Looks like the red switch that says DSI FLT with the flame to the left of it.

DWBinRI
10-03-2017, 08:36 AM
These are the panels, inside and out

I know the black switch on the panel of the first panel is for the light outside. Nowhere in my manual does it show what the other switch is for :(

ugh......

Reset buttons on the second panel, no label!The flame is for the gas did you check the bypass valve on the back of the hot water tank is passing water through the tank if it is not you could over heat the hot water tank not a good thing

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TheDonna
10-03-2017, 08:40 AM
it does, what does that mean?

fourfourto
10-03-2017, 08:41 AM
I believe you don't have electric water heater, make sure bypass valve is open and you have to go outside to water heater and manually turn it on you have to put it on pilot and hold button in for several seconds and light the pilot with a long lighter then turn to on position.

Javi
10-03-2017, 08:50 AM
I believe you don't have electric water heater, make sure bypass valve is open and you have to go outside to water heater and manually turn it on you have to put it on pilot and hold button in for several seconds and light the pilot with a long lighter then turn to on position.

Just for clarification... the photo posted by the OP shows a DIRECT SPARK IGNITION... no pilot light..

Also, I'm pretty sure that is a Suburban water heater and if it has electric the switch is going to be as shown in my photo.. below Note switch is backwards of a normal rocker switch.. off is up... down is on...

TheDonna
10-03-2017, 09:04 AM
so frustrated with myself...my interview is at 2 and not 2:30....cold shower....my own fault.....be back later

thanks everyone

promise, I am not a blonde, LOL :D

gkainz
10-03-2017, 09:16 AM
Before I would answer that direct question, I would ensure the winter bypass switch is not set to bypass! Otherwise you're going to burn up the water heater! But, since I don't have that particular brand/model, I can't be much help. Good luck on the interview!

CrazyCain
10-05-2017, 01:59 AM
I have a hideout 177lhs that is exactly what my panel board looks like the one with the flame turns on the hot water heater. Make sure the winter bypass to the hot water tank is in the open position. Hot water heater should be under the night table next to the bed. Take the panel off make sure the bypass is off. Make sure the hot water tank actually has water in it you can check that by going outside open up the panel and pulling on the relief valve you should have water pouring out. Once you make sure you have water pouring out all you have to do is turn that switch on and you'll hear click click click and then you'll hear the flame start. The other black switch below that the one in the right I believe turns on inside light in the kitchen area that switch on the light has to be on for that to turn on with that black switch hope you can understand and hope it helps. If your By-Pass switch is off when you hook up to City Water it'll fill up the hot water tank takes a few minutes it is 6 gallons

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

TheDonna
10-05-2017, 08:17 AM
I got the job! Start tomorrow.

Now, the bypass valve, should it point left or right? I got the panel off and I am looking at it now

Thanks!

Ken / Claudia
10-05-2017, 08:37 AM
FYI, you purchased a brand new trailer, It had better come with a whole big packet of manuals. If not tell them you need them, NOW. Including in it should be a Keystone trailer booklet. Some of that information may or may not make sense, but, I would strongly advise you to take the time to read each and everyone. Ask questions on here and you will get help. But, with a proper walk thu and reading how each and everything works you should be able to work each product correctly. It is not to difficult. The hard part is when stuff breaks and how to do a fix it yourself. I am saying this not to be mean, but, you have a RV, they work off shore power, battery, generator and solar, the water runs off it's own tanks and hose hook up, propane for some stuff. Some items only work on 120v. most works on 12v. Are just a few examples. If never exposed to a RV, it can be overwhelming. And I did not even mention towing it. Good Luck.

CrazyCain
10-05-2017, 08:43 AM
I got the job! Start tomorrow.

Now, the bypass valve, should it point left or right? I got the panel off and I am looking at it now

Thanks!If it is straight up it is closed and ur tank has no water in it. turn it left or right. I believe right opens the valve.like next post wrote, you need to get the manuals for the tt

TheDonna
10-05-2017, 08:44 AM
yeah, the manuals are of no use, no real explanation of things for a newbie like me. I have read them more than once...I am researching the net, nothing of value yet. Also, I realize now I did not get a thorough walk through....they never showed me the back of the tank under the bench. Sorry you felt that you had to post your response...it was of no help either. I am 58, on my own for the first time....thrown away by an ex husband after 20 years.....Good day to you sir and I hope you never have a problem/question and someone replies to you in a snarky manner

notanlines
10-05-2017, 08:58 AM
Donna, I don't believe Ken meant to be snarky. I've seen Ken when he's snarky and that wasn't it. I think if you read what he wrote again you'll see the light in which it was written.
One more thing. Most members on here go well out of their way to help anyone, but especially women.
Give us a chance.
And when you're in town stop at the Berrytown for coffee and throw that alligator a big snack for us!

TheDonna
10-05-2017, 09:06 AM
oh me and ol hardhide go way back. Love the Berrytown biscuits. I am actually in Gatlinburg right now, going to be working for Dollywood. My first big camping trip all by myself...loving the peace and quiet.

anyway, did not want ya'll thinking I was not trying, or trying to read the manuals. Like I said they don't give a lot of info, and don't show the back of the water heater, only the front.

Thanks for your response

CrazyCain
10-05-2017, 09:16 AM
oh me and ol hardhide go way back. Love the Berrytown biscuits. I am actually in Gatlinburg right now, going to be working for Dollywood. My first big camping trip all by myself...loving the peace and quiet.

anyway, did not want ya'll thinking I was not trying, or trying to read the manuals. Like I said they don't give a lot of info, and don't show the back of the water heater, only the front.

Thanks for your responseCongrats on the new job, Dollywood is a great place...hope you enjoy you hideout like i do....all will work out!!! :)

MarcS
10-05-2017, 09:19 AM
The manuals are useless. There should be an access panel on the inside of the RV directly opposite the outside panel you have shown. That is where the bypass valve will be. If there is not an access panel directly opposite the outside hot water heater, there should be an access panel near it (inside) where you can get to plumbing to hot water heater.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

TyeeMan
10-05-2017, 09:35 AM
All I can say is shame on your dealer for not providing you with comprehensive walk through, there is a ton of stuff to know about and know how to properly operate.

That said I applaud your bravery to go out and purchase an rv and live in it all by yourself. I can't think of very many, , strike that, I can't think of any women I know that would do that.

Good luck and I hope you get all the systems figured out.

sourdough
10-05-2017, 12:10 PM
I too applaud your decision to get out and try the RV. It's unfortunate and wrong, IMO, for the dealer to sell an RV without a thorough walk thru - but some do it. That said, there are lots of good, knowledgeable folks on here that are willing to go above and beyond to help you out so you now have a treasure trove of information to help you. And, as Jim said, Ken wasn't being snarky - just trying to be helpful.

Ken / Claudia
10-05-2017, 12:39 PM
It's OK, I never felt the need to post, just trying to help. I am not sure you really read my post, that's OK, the problem has likely caused some stress. Since you did not mention having any manuals or the booklet I added that because you need them. As I wrote it can be overwhelming.
I recently paid 600 on a handheld GPS unit and had to down load the manual the learn how to use it. I read it, every word all 24 pages. For me it might as well be written in Russian. I do not understand much of it. But, a trip back to the store got me to understand it.

ctbruce
10-06-2017, 01:15 AM
Just in general on valves, if the handle is perpendicular to the pipe, it's closed. If parallel to the pipe, it's open.

If you thought Ken's remark was snarky, be careful posting about tires or pulling a 35 foot trailer with a Volkswagen. Just a friendly warning. [emoji41]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Carrottop
10-06-2017, 08:30 AM
I have said it before and I will say it again. Opinions are like A****s everyone has one ;). Never want to debate tire pressure on here again.

CrazyCain
10-06-2017, 09:19 AM
Just in general on valves, if the handle is perpendicular to the pipe, it's closed. If parallel to the pipe, it's open.

If you thought Ken's remark was snarky, be careful posting about tires or pulling a 35 foot trailer with a Volkswagen. Just a friendly warning. [emoji41]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk:) lolol

SummitPond
10-06-2017, 12:52 PM
... be careful posting about tires or pulling a 35 foot trailer with a Volkswagen. Just a friendly warning. [emoji41]

How about pulling it with a Prius?

Desert185
10-06-2017, 12:57 PM
So...is there success? Hot water?

sourdough
10-06-2017, 02:50 PM
How about pulling it with a Prius?

Wow! That's pretty cool. Wish we had another angle so we could see how they built that hitch out behind the back hatch.:angel:

Johnny's Journey
10-06-2017, 10:48 PM
So...is there success? Hot water?Maybe we'll here back, maybe we'll not here back. It's all contingent on how the testosterone here has affected the senses. We've possibly activated a few degrees what is known as PTSD since OP made it clear to all about a separation. But not to worry. Everything will turn out well.

JRTJH
10-07-2017, 06:00 AM
Here's theDonna's the Last Activity: 10-05-2017 01:46 PM. She signed off then and has not returned. The last post she made was in response to notanlines' comment about the Berrytown biscuits. So, three possibilities:

1) She's in Berrytown eating biscuits and throwing tidbits to some alligator http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/eating/got-my-mouth-full-eating-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)
2) She's "lost in a manual" trying to get hot water. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/school/studying-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)
3) She's got her problem solved and "moved on with her new job at Dollyworld" and is enjoying hot water. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/toilet/bubble-bath-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

Oh, I suppose there's a fourth: She really was offended by some of the comments made ??? http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/angry/red-face-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

Hopefully, she's just busy at work and we'll hear back sooner or later.....

flybouy
10-07-2017, 07:00 AM

Thanks for your response

First welcom to the forum and wishing you much success in your new career and life. Lots of great advice already given. I would only add this, start researching maintaining your new investment. RV's are not maintenance free, especially the roof. Some time and little money will prevent spending a lot of money in the future.

Desert185
10-07-2017, 07:15 AM
Maybe we'll here back, maybe we'll not here back. It's all contingent on how the testosterone here has affected the senses. We've possibly activated a few degrees what is known as PTSD since OP made it clear to all about a separation. But not to worry. Everything will turn out well.

I can’t wait for the weight police to “weigh in.” :popcorn:

Ruko
10-07-2017, 08:32 AM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

How about these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpwH9WeVEfU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wrbD9LxlcI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XL0TysIn0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuaqIAcXYGw

:whistling:

Cardcathrn
10-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Mine has 2 switches. One on the outside which I turn on once water is hooked up. I then wait about 15 minutes, run the cold water and when the water runs smooth, I switch th side on. One is for when running on propane and the per is or else. That is thee one I switch on. Providing you are running it on electric.

TheDonna
10-09-2017, 03:10 PM
yeah, guess I was a bit stressed out :nonono:

thanks to everyone for helping me get things straight, I got my hot water...had a few days with sucky wifi...and now I am ok....had to see a doctor about my high blood pressure, too...:banghead:

a few days ago it had climbed to 163/100 :confused:

smooth sailing from now on.....hopefully :lol:

Johnny's Journey
10-09-2017, 05:07 PM
Good to hear :) Can you tell the board what it was that got your hot water going so other members with this type of issue can know.

TheDonna
10-11-2017, 02:40 AM
The back of my hot water heater is located under the bench seat of my trailer. Once the cushion is removed you need to unscrew the wooden panel to get inside. It is very easy...now that I know what to do ;)

I wouldn't mind getting a job writing the manuals for some of these companies....somebody is doing a poor job, LOL

Johnny's Journey
10-11-2017, 05:20 AM
I wouldn't mind getting a job writing the manuals for some of these companies....somebody is doing a poor job, LOLSo, removing the screws and panel made the water heater work because you could see the back of it? :whistling: :)