PDA

View Full Version : furnace issue

steveandmary
10-01-2017, 02:21 PM
hello there.....we have a 40 foot Keystone Cougar 327 RES. ( 3 years old )
We appreciate advice on what to do with the following....

The gas oven works , the gas hob works but the furnace will come on but switches itself off after a few seconds....we have had no problems with the furnace in the 3 years we have owned it until 3 days ago.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

regards and thanks

Steve

sourdough
10-01-2017, 02:42 PM
Does the unit click, click, ignite for a minute or two then go off? If so, mine did that and I had to replace the control board. I think others have had different issues so they can chime in as well.

When mine started acting up I opened the door to the unit (outside), removed the power lead for a few seconds then reconnected it. It would work a while then stop again. The dealership later told me I should have been able to turn the thermostat off then on and done the same thing but I never tried that.

steveandmary
10-01-2017, 03:13 PM
When we press the control panel on the wall the furnace comes on but blows out cold air from the heating vents on the floor but switches off after a few seconds.

Ken / Claudia
10-01-2017, 03:30 PM
Control board needed replaced when mine did the same exact thing. The furnace needs to be removed to get to the control board. After removal the control board can be removed and checked. I let the dealer do it for me.

steveandmary
10-01-2017, 03:35 PM
Our biggest problem is we live in New Zealand.....no one will look at because its an RV and not a house.

JRTJH
10-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Our biggest problem is we live in New Zealand.....no one will look at because its an RV and not a house.

Go to this website and download the manual. You may not have the same model number furnace, but essentially the technology behind how they work is very much the same from model to model. There's some very good troubleshooting guidelines that should help you isolate the problem and get your furnace working. Good Luck and once you do "dig into things" let us know how you're doing.

http://docs.renegaderv.com/Suburban/Furnaces/FURNACE_Service%20and%20Training%20Manual%2011-05-2015.pdf

hankpage
10-01-2017, 08:29 PM
It is possible it just needs a good cleaning. For some reason wasps and spiders like to make them self at home in the burner tubes of gas appliances. The clay or silk they leave behind will not burn out. The manual that John mentioned should give directions on cleaning.
Another possibility is the sail switch (safety devise) that senses air flow is not working and is shutting down the furnace before it ignites.
Good luck and I hope you can repair it or find someone who can help, Hank

rhagfo
10-01-2017, 08:35 PM
It is possible it just needs a good cleaning. For some reason wasps and spiders like to make them self at home in the burner tubes of gas appliances. The clay or silk they leave behind will not burn out. The manual that John mentioned should give directions on cleaning.
Another possibility is the sail switch (safety devise) that senses air flow is not working and is shutting down the furnace before it ignites.
Good luck and I hope you can repair it or find someone who can help, Hank

X2!
Sounds like a failure to light.

steveandmary
10-01-2017, 09:02 PM
Thank you for your help and advice....much appreciated.
I will keep you posted on the outcome.

I have to say what a great site this is......thanks again guys.

MikeD3534
10-02-2017, 05:20 AM
It may be a faulty sail switch. If the furnace is lighting, attempting to come up to speed and then shutting down it may be this switch.

steveandmary
10-02-2017, 06:05 PM
Hi there.....my furnace details are as follows.

Atwood Mobile Products
Model Number 8535-IV DCLP

I am unable to download the manual for the above.....something to do with my IP Address.......Are you able to send me a link so i can download it .

Many thanks

Steve

chuckster57
10-02-2017, 06:22 PM
It may be a faulty sail switch. If the furnace is lighting, attempting to come up to speed and then shutting down it may be this switch.

Furnace won't try to light if the sail switch is faulty or the fan isn't spinning fast enough.

OP: try this one
http://docs.renegaderv.com/Suburban/Furnaces/FURNACE_Service%20and%20Training%20Manual%2011-05-2015.pdf

JRTJH
10-02-2017, 06:49 PM
Try this link for the owner's manual for the Atwood 8500 series furnaces:

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/furnaces/MPD%2033179%20SP%201.08.pdf

On page 5 is a diagnostic chart that explains the "trouble light codes". Essentially, your furnace will "tell you what is wrong with it" by flashing lights....

You may also want to review this manual: http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf

B-O-B'03
10-02-2017, 10:46 PM
My Atwood furnace would start the fan, then the igniter would start clicking and the gas valve would open. it would run for a few seconds and then start the cycle over again. after 3 attempts it would quit.

It turned out that the control board had been damaged by water coming out of a cut in the kitchen sink drain pipe, from the person that the roto-zipped the hole in the outside wall of the coach for the outdoor electrical outlet.

The circuit board was not too difficult to change, but it was a pain to get the furnace out to access it.

I think new boards can be bought on-line rather inexpensively.

-Brian

steveandmary
10-03-2017, 02:41 PM
Hello all.....my furnace issue was cause by a faulty sail switch .
Thank you everyone for all your help and advice.....very much appreciated.
Another positive is we now know about the Keystone RV forum....what a great site and refreshing knowing there are good people out there that want to help and give good advice to others.........thank you ...thank you ...thank you

notanlines
10-03-2017, 03:27 PM
Steve, thanks for the update. Keeps us all a little sharper!

Ken / Claudia
10-03-2017, 10:03 PM
Glad you got it fixed. From the 1st post I thought the gas was coming on before it quit. But, if the switch fixed it sounds like the gas was not coming on before it turned off.

Johnny's Journey
10-04-2017, 05:34 AM
Keeps us all a little sharper!Ever board design processes in it's own way.

steveandmary
11-15-2017, 11:05 AM
Hi everyone needing your help again....found its the sail switch and after weeks of that been found out...our gas guy tells us he cant find a replacement here in NZ.Gone back to guys we bought this from awaiting some answers...if i had to get myself ....where?Thanks for any help

JRTJH
11-15-2017, 12:16 PM
steveandmary,

You'll need to obtain the numbers from your actual sail switch and verify them against this one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-36680-Sail-Switch/dp/B004QMX9WY I believe it's the one you need.

Keep us posted and if your sail switch is different from this, post what's on the switch you have "in hand" and we'll find one for you.

Stay tuned !!!

bobbecky
11-15-2017, 09:19 PM
The Atwood manual says: NOTE: All 85-IV use the same sail switch. So I read that as the 36680 is the correct part for his heater. Dyers ships overseas also, http://www.dyersonline.com/

JRTJH
11-15-2017, 09:41 PM
The Atwood manual says: NOTE: All 85-IV use the same sail switch. So I read that as the 36680 is the correct part for his heater. Dyers ships overseas also, http://www.dyersonline.com/

Bob, That's my thought as well, it's the 36680 sail switch. But there are a couple of "strange assemblies" in the mix with a couple of furnace models, so without knowing for sure exactly which furnace he has ( is the 2016 Model Number 8535-IV DCLP the same as a 2017 of the same number") and knowing it's going to be shipped "down under", that's why I recommended that he verify the part numbers with a "visual check" rather than just order a replacement, pay the (probably very expensive) shipping, maybe import fees and find it's not the correct part....

If he were in the US, I'd recommend ordering it and trying the fit. Amazon would pay return freight if it's the wrong part.... But, with an Aussie order, being "extra certain" is (I think) the prudent way to go......