PDA

View Full Version : Keystone...Would you buy from them again?

Me.Bikes.Dogs
06-10-2011, 07:31 AM
We have many visitors come here to see what we all think of our Keystone RVs. I thought I'd make it easy for them. I've added a poll to this post ( I think it is above this text at the top of the posting ), would you buy another Keystone product? I think that is succinct enough. Please click on a selection and let's find out what the consensus is.

Txoutback
06-10-2011, 07:48 AM
Considering mine is only 1 week old and has not left the driveway I will delay responding to this for about three months. Is this a timed pole?

Jim W
06-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Yes, I would. By the way I would never contact Keystone customer service. I believe and always have that you need to work through the dealer for service issues and warranty. To me finding a good dealer is more important than the lowest price. The dealer will go to bat for you on warranty issues.
Jim W.

Me.Bikes.Dogs
06-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Considering mine is only 1 week old and has not left the driveway I will delay responding to this for about three months. Is this a timed pole?

Nope not timed. Vote at anytime.

hankpage
06-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Four years, over 10,000 mi., many good memories and very few problems. Maybe you guessed I voted yes. I think we will find this to be the norm, especially with experienced RVers who have owned other brands. Like many have said before it comes down to the most "Bang for the buck". A good dealer, constant inspection, periodic maintenance and common sense play a major part in how happy we are with our trailers. (Not necessarily in that order) Always willing to offer my 2¢ , Hank

ktmracer
06-10-2011, 10:42 AM
absolutely. floor plan fit us perfectly, After a 4 hour PDI inspection we found two very minor cosmetic issues the dealer fixed while we went to lunch. Trailer has been troublefree for the year we have had it (I know that's not very long). Traveled almost 5K miles, 30+ days camping. I'd like to know how well the dealer handles warranty issues, but I haven't found anything to take it back for. Impressed with the layout and storage. Seems like at least the Outback designers actually camp in the trailers and know what many folks want/need.

This year we have about 90 + camping days planned and probably 10K+ miles. We'll see how this year turns out! 30 camping days between June1 and July 30th alone!

JRTJH
06-10-2011, 05:07 PM
We have been camping for over 40 years, owned everything from pop up campers to VW Campmobiles, big ones, small ones, expensive ones and entry level (cheap) ones. Our current 5th wheel, a Springdale, is Keystone's entry level fiver. We bought it new for about $10,000 less than the competetion from other manufacturers. Only had one problem with it, the referigerator cooling unit. Now, there's no way to blame Keystone for that, and our dealer, Camping World of Houghton Lake, had us back on the road 3 days after we took it in with a new cooling unit installed which was overnighted from Dometic. I've never had service like that from any other manufacturer. So, yes, we're happy, and we'd buy another Keystone. We've had some minor issues, but we also had minor issues with our new truck, our new home, our new patio furniture.... You get the idea.... If you want it perfect, either buy the most expensive (and hope you get perfection) and that's not a sure bet, or be prepared to tweek and polish to attain perfection.

As for our Springdale, it serves us well, was a very good buy, provides many upscale features that would cost much MUCH more than we paid in any other RV of comparable size and quality.

This might sound like an ad for Keystone, but I think, at least in our situation, we got more than we paid for with our RV. We're happy, and have no regrets. Sure, there's bigger and there's more luxurious, but I really don't think there's many that are better.

mrxlh
06-11-2011, 06:10 AM
We have many visitors come here to see what we all think of our Keystone RVs. I thought I'd make it easy for them. I've added a poll to this post ( I think it is above this text at the top of the posting ), would you buy another Keystone product? I think that is succinct enough. Please click on a selection and let's find out what the consensus is.
Good Idea Kent.

I would absolutly buy a Keystone product again. Not that mine didn't have some issues, however they were very small, and were all taken care of.

Everything that is posted on all these RV sites about additional PDI lists, tires and what to look for, shakedown runs before peak RVing season, ect ect would eliminate about 90% of most complaints. The other 10% would be eliminated if by nature we were not so cheap and lazy. I researched for 3 years before purchasing my Raptor 4014LEV, I found several who purchased the same model and now pm them from time to time to see what they have had issues with ect and they do the same. Getting a great deal on the purchase price from a dealer 300 miles away, and then expecting your local dealer to take care of everything like you purchased it from them is a tad unrealistic.

A RV is an investment, and a very poor one from a financial standpoint. Therefore like a risky stock market investment, it needs to be paid attention to or it will consume you. Especially people who procrastinate and think 2 days before the 1 year warranty is up their list of 65 things will be fixed in less than a week, often during peek camping season. If they missed something and the next trip out they notice it and bring it in to the dealer and the dealer refuses to fix under warranty, they come here and tell of how sorry Keystone and their warranty is.

ftwildernessguy
06-11-2011, 06:19 AM
So right now we're hitting over 90 % satisfaction rate. Bet Obama wishes he could hit those numbers.

JRTJH
06-11-2011, 02:04 PM
HE HE !!! Doesnt every politician !!!!! Of course like RV manufacturers, no politician can please all the people all the time. My question is: Why can't they please me more often??? <smirk>

GMcKenzie
06-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Voted Yes.

Two issues with our trailer, first was the slide mechanics grabbed the heating duct and got stuck. Fixed before our first outing under warranty. Second was the brake on one side were misadjusted making the other side do all the work.

Day 2 of a 16 day trip through the US so hopefully nothing goes wrong so far from home. But we really like our Cougar. Same as others, we've owned pop-ups, campers and trailers and this one is built fine. Plus we love the layout and the size of the rear kitchen.

cnbhand
06-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Probably not. I travel at least 5K miles a year with our 5th wheel Cougar. The problem with most if not all models is the weak frame and suspension. Prior to the Cougar I owned a Laredo 2001, I broke the left rear spring from the frame on 2 separate occasions. It was in my opinion a design flaw, too much weight for the weak frame to support. Had there been gussets it may have held. The cougar, 2009 model has a suspension system that is way too weak for the weight. This 5th wheel has less than 8K miles on it and all the bushings are wore through. I recently replaced all shackles, bushings, equalizers, and bolts with a Dexter EZ Flex system. While replacing the bushings I found 2 holes that never had bushings installed. I also had a screw which holds the plywood floor to the joist back out right through the linoleum. The water pump for what ever reason has begun discharging water through the city water intake when using the on board water system. I rarely use hookups so I have temporarily capped the city water pipe at the pump. The slide mechanism is so weak Keystone has stated never to walk, sit, or use the slide area unless the slide is extended. This in my opinion is due to the lack of sufficient number of rollers. The bottom line is, if you are a casual camper, take the thing 10 miles down the road and set up, you will probably do OK. If you plan on extended trips be aware of the weak frames which tend to flex and the pitiful bushings and shackles.

gmohr
07-13-2011, 03:24 PM
We would definitely buy another one. Our 318SAB is the perfect floor plan. We
have had NO problems other that a propane cut over switch fail. Replaced it
and it just keeps on trucking. We have over 30k miles on the original tires. We
keep them covered and properly inflated. Will finally replace them this year with
16"ers. The other small problems have all be due to operator error.

jramsey
07-15-2011, 07:17 AM
The wife and I are on an extended trip through Oregon right now and are having a Great time. We love our Cougar 5ver and have had no major problems with it, as a matter of fact it has been very comfortable. The only problem that I have is I don't want to go home!;)

therink
07-15-2011, 12:44 PM
I voted yes. I am on my fifth rv and first Keystone. I had a few warranty issues that took forever to fix. This is due to the incompetentcy of my local Camping World. I wont go into details but everything was taken care of once I contacted Keystone and took the matter into my own hands.
I have also made numerous mods/improvements where needed to various things to prevent issues down the road.
People love to rant on how terrible Keystones are, but I have also read other forums (Jayco, FR, etc.). The issues are ni different on those brands.
As mentioned previously, RV's in general are poor investments to begin with and are even worse for those who don't properly maintain their rigs and then complain when things fall apart, leak, etc. and then don't understand why the manufacturer wont pay for repairs when beyond warranty period.
We love everything about our Outback. The only thing I would have done different is not settled for the Chinese load range D tires that came stock. Since I bought mine, Keystone now offers 16" load range E's as standard on my model. Live and learn.
Taking off tomorrow for two weeks. Can't wait to hit the road.
Steve

jq1031
07-15-2011, 05:34 PM
OOOOO I'm a big yes!!

JRTJH
07-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Lots of comments about RV's being a "money hole" and expensive to repair if not maintained properly. I remember a boating friend's analogy of big boats:

"There are only 2 happy days in a yacht owner's life, the day he buys a new boat and the day he gets rid of it."

I think we are more fortunate with our RV's. We seem to have numerous "happy days" so I suppose that puts us ahead of the curve when it comes to being satisfied with our trailers. DW and I leave again tomorrow for a week long camping trip with the extended family and several RV's (probably 40 people total). Then home for a few days and back to the UP for more fishing. Keystone helps make this possible and I'd buy another one, but am satisfied with the one I now have... :)

Txoutback
07-16-2011, 06:19 AM
I say yes but I would not rule out looking at other manufacturers before the next sale to keep my options open for the best model for us at the time. We were looking for the largest unit my F-150 could handle safely with a nice aesthetic interior and I think we found it. I recently swapped from K-Z to Keystone and didn't have many issues with the K-Z but we liked the Outback 277RL floorplan and it was priced better and lighter to similar models of other manufacturers. We are quite pleased. As far as quality, I think it's a crap shoot at this time. With the cheaper/lighter comes a price. You get what you pay for sometimes but rarely get more.

dea3851
07-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Hi we love are Cougar 2010 318SAB ,like others have had tents,popups, tt, and now the fifth wheel, spent 9 days last fall in michigans up,everything worked great and unit pulled great, have a f250 with a V10, Don from LUDINGTON MICHIGAN.

AlCherry
07-31-2011, 03:47 AM
We had been looking for a replacment for our Thor, and studied preowned RV's for the best part of a year. Our search kept coming back to Keystone, and yesterday we got ours. Though it is 5 years old, the price was very right, and the condition was near perfect. The wife and I spent the whole day yesterday going from front to rear TRYING to find a problem. None there. That says alot for the quality of the workmanship. I'm sure there will be issues down the road, but we'll deal with it then.

Bob Landry
07-31-2011, 04:52 AM
I've only had mine since March, so I'll reserve judgement on whether I would buy another Keystone. I've only had one problem fixed under warranty and that was not major. That said, I'm still in the process of fixing/improving things that are a result of poor workmanship & construction practices, not quality of materials. Unfortunately, like every other industry, the bean counters obviously control this one also.

stillbroke
07-31-2011, 08:30 AM
We had our Mountaineer for only 2 1/2 months so I don't know yet, but I would not buy it from the same dealer again. We found the model we wanted at this dealer, but would have waited and ordered one from a local dealer ,if we had to do it again. No service from them! It will be hard to beat the Jayco Eagle we before and the dealer that sold them.

jq1031
07-31-2011, 11:01 AM
My TT is only 4 months old. However, I've pulled it almost seven thousand miles in alot of different conditions & traffic. Set up & broke camp more times than I can remember, slide in, slide out, jacks down, jacks up, dump valves pull, then push, utilites, air, furnace, on, off, off & on. Everything just keeps on working as it should and no leaks from rain water or any of the water connections. I gotta give this product an A+ for the first 4 months of use. Very happy with Keystone fo far!

turbodog
08-04-2011, 11:01 AM
I purchased a Keystone FreedonLite TT in August 2008 and kept it one year. Seems like every time I used the rig it had to go back to camping World for something. Normally they were not extremely major issues but enough to want to get it fixed before camping again. Finally, I gave up and traded for a Cougar 276 RLS in August 2009. Lost money on the deal, but what a difference. Only major issue with the Cougar was a leaking window and seats that squeeked. Camping World fixed the leaking window and Keystone replaced the pedistals on both seats. I cannot say anything negative about Keystone or my Cougar. Would I buy another Keystone - Yes. Would I but another Cougar - Yes.

Rkymtnman
08-17-2011, 06:46 AM
We are on our third summer in our Cougar 293SAB. We generally get around 30 nights a year in it. We pull it on long weekends and generally go somewhere different every weekend so it gets beat over the road, set-up/torn down every trip. We have 2 kids, 8 and 11 so it gets used. We work hard to take excellent care of it and stay on top of maintenance issues that come up. There are a few little things I don't care for but honestly, we couldn't be happier with it. No major issues - no major problems - or minor problems that I couldn't fix myself. Dealer was great the fisrt few months in working out anything we needed.

Loking to upgrade to a mountaineer 345DBQ - perhaps next year. So I would absolutely buy another Keystone product. Been very happy with the current Cougar we have.

Bob Landry
08-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Ive had one major issue and that was the roof rail caps were not installed or sealed correctly. My local dealer resolved that to my satisfaction. I have had to do several minor repairs, and I'm OK with that because I have time, tools, and expertise to do that and the result is better than what the dealer would have turned out of his shop.. That being said, I do think there are quite a few issues that should never made it past QC. To the guy that does not want to or can not do repairs himself, that may seem like an important issue and that it reflects on the overall qualty of Keystone and would understandably be a deal breaker on the next purchase. These are the people that Keystone needs to retain as second and third time buyers. Maybe Keystone has enough first time buyers that these issues aren't important. Personally, if it were my company, I would be doing everything I could to encourage repeat customers. All of that being said, I think I would run into the same design and construction issues regardless of the brand.

CPE
08-19-2011, 06:02 PM
I would too definitely! Customer Service wise, NO! I need ALL info. on my unit as I can repair almost 90% of items, if needed, by nyself with proper literature. I had a Heartland and NO comparison to this Keystone, quality and interior finish wise.

brerrabbit
01-31-2012, 01:49 PM
We just purchased a 2010 Laredo, mod. 296RE. So far, so good. Is there any way to get an owner's manual?
We are pulling with a 2012 Tundra with no problems.

Bob Landry
01-31-2012, 02:06 PM
The Keyston Owners manual can be downloaded online, but you are going to find it pretty generic. You would do well to get the model numbers off of the appliances and equipment on the trailer and try to get the manuals for those from the manufacturers.

ktmracer
01-31-2012, 03:00 PM
We've now had our outback 295RE for 1 1/2 years, new in July 2010. Towed it over 10,000 miles, spent something near 120 days camping in it. Anywhere from weekend trips to month long trips. Anything from summer sunshine to Oregon Coast Rainstorms. So far we are very happy. When we got it we spent over 4 hours doing a detailed walk through, checking EVERYTHING. Found two small cosmetic items they fixed while we went to lunch. Don't know if we ended up with a good one off the line, or if the dealer did a good PDI, but we were happy. As others have mentioned, expect to need to clean up some loose ends, but ours is holding up well. The only warranty issue we had was the alloy wheels developing some white spots. Noticed it a few day before the warranty expired. Took it to the dealer expecting a "that's normal wear and tear" response, but they took pictures sent it off to Keystone and a week later I had brand new alloy wheels on the trailer.

As far as construction, one of my biggest annyoance, but easy to fix was the slipshod job on the AC ducting. not sealed up well around vents, not opened up enough in the plenum, plenum not completely sealed. With a 35' trailer and only one AC you need all the cold air you can get. After sealing everything up and adding another vent in the bedroom, one in the bathroom and two more in the living area, the AC is much better.

Found that they used 18" full extension slides on all the drawers. However there are several that could be 24" deep. I'm sure it was to keep common parts. I ended up making 24" deep drawers where possible for more storage.

Next mod DW wants is to replace the 16" oven with a 22" oven. I agree, the 16" is pretty skimpy, looks like I can fit in a 22" with a little work.

But trailers seem to be like cars and appliances of 50 years ago. Need almost constant TLC to keep them in good shape. I think they are improving, but still a long way from the state of current cars, home appliances, etc.

laidback
01-31-2012, 05:12 PM
On our second Keystone 2009 now 2011 cougar 318SAB. We are full timers and love the trailer and have not had any problems. So my vote is YES.

grayghost03
01-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Just Did, 2006 Sydney for a 2012 Montana High Country 343RL

hankaye
01-31-2012, 07:08 PM
Howdy All;

No vote yet from me as I've only been with this one for less then a year.
This is my second RV first was a 1995 orphan TT this is a 5er. To many differences between types, layouts, let alone 13 years of different building styles and materials...
I'll be keep in' my eye on this though.

hankaye

Rowdy51
02-01-2012, 04:20 AM
Yes. We have only had our 312BH since May but have not had any problems. i wished it had a 2nd AC with 50 Amp service for the hot/humid days on the Texas coast.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

SAABDOCTOR
02-01-2012, 06:09 AM
YES VOTE FROM ME. I HAVE OWEND 3 OF THEM ON TT TWO 5ER'S ALL MONTANA'S LAST TWO HAVE FRONT LIVING ROOM. THE ONLY REASON WE TRADED THE THE FIRST FIVER 03 TO THE 2010. WAS THE SECOND DOOR NEAR THE BATH ROOM. FIRE SAFTY. MOST FIRES ARE IN THE KITCHEN I FIGURE AND YES THE REAR BEDROOM HAS AN ESCAPE WINDOW. BUT NO WAY COULD I GET THE BIG MALAMUTE OUT THE WINDOW AND LIIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT. SO THE SECOND DOOR BY THE BEDROOM WAS THE SELLING POINT. I HAVE HAD SOME MINOR ISSUES WITH ALL OF THEM, BUT NOTHING IS PERFECT THAT IS MADE BY HUMANS. I TOO AM LUCY TO BE ABLE TO FIX THE ISSUES THAT POP UP AND WITH THE HELP OF THIS FORUM NOTHING IS IMPOSSABLE LOTS OF GREAT INFO :thumbsup:

JOCA
02-03-2012, 03:50 AM
"bouncey:Yes, would definitely buy another Keystone. We have owned a Cougar, Montana, Alpine and now a 2012 Montana 3400RL. Do a lot of traveling spending at least 5 months on the road going cross country. No complaints!

suebobby
02-03-2012, 06:35 AM
IMHO, being an avid T/T camper and being in the RV business I always sought out Sunline products. Sunline has a great reputation but stopped producing in 2007. When looking to upgrade from our last Sunline a 2005 T-2075, wanting more room but still demanding quality, our natural choice was a Keystone product (2010 Sprinter 264bhs). Happy campers so far.:)

SteveC7010
02-03-2012, 07:14 AM
IMHO, being an avid T/T camper and being in the RV business I always sought out Sunline products. Sunline has a great reputation but stopped producing in 2007. When looking to upgrade from our last Sunline a 2005 T-2075, wanting more room but still demanding quality, our natural choice was a Keystone product (2010 Sprinter 264bhs). Happy campers so far.:)

I thought you guys looked familiar! :)

haffcke
02-03-2012, 05:51 PM
so far so good, like others we have had many types of RVs over the past 40 yrs of camping/travel, and we love our 2011 bullet purchased 10/2010, actually i spend more time in it than home due to work/travel, had a pesky leak on slide but keystone has gone above and beyond to repair it and refg. quit working and repaired promptly under warrenty, other than that i keep after maintenance issues on a regular basis so little things don't get much of a chance to crop up. i have done some upgrades to make life more comfortable for me like add an electric fireplace, slide awning and a few other small additions, so right now if i were to consider a trade a keystone would be our first choice. Phil

E6ret
02-08-2012, 08:28 PM
The problems I have had right from delivery were not solved by the dealer. The other nearest dealer is to far to drive. I emailed the company and got no reply. I received a questionaire in the mail and explained everything there and eventually got an email from someone from Customer Relations saying if I had any problems to email him. I emailed him and got no reply.
The work quality on my FKV is poor.
I was willing to accept and work with them if they acknowledged I existed and that I had problems. They (the company) do not care about customer satisfaction or loyalty. I am disappointed. I purchased this trailer because I thought it was quality, or at least if there were problems, the company would recognize them and recognize their customers. I was wrong and I will never make the mistake of buying a Keystone again.

dksd39
02-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Have to say I love my 2012 Outback 260FL... This is my 4th camper and I purchased this model because it fit my needs perfectly. I have leaned from each camper and suspect this one will be with me for many years. I have had a couple minor issues but my dealer (camping world) has been 100% helpful and takes care of me as I would expect.

travelbugger
02-09-2012, 08:29 PM
I voted yes!
Keystone has some really great features and I love their french roast couch and chairs. Almost looks modern, which I like.
I believe that any camper you buy will potentially have problems. They really are cheap products and they could always be built better or have "more", but these Alpines do give you a good bang for your buck. Everything I had a major problem with was on products made by someone else (like the water heater and microwave). Warranty covered these issues and they all have been fixed. No issues from Keystone approving.

There were some other issues with the camper that were small, but easily fixed and didn't stop me from using the camper. I do wish that they insulated better, but insulation is not very good on most campers anyway.

If there is another camper that trumps their features and has a reasonable price I would consider it if we were looking for another camper- but this one we plan on keeping 'till IT falls apart, or until WE do. :rofl:

trucker LOU
02-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Hey folks, I have 25k miles on my 2010 springdale 242frlss ? just minor fixes done myself. would do it again fits my needs very well.hope to do another 10k trip 2 1/2 mos this summer.----LOU

Beachlife4us
05-09-2012, 01:35 PM
I definitely would bye another Keystone. We love our 2008 Cougar 276RLS 5th wheel!

hsmunoz
05-10-2012, 05:58 PM
my warranty ran out on my 2011 Alpine 3500re last month, haven't needed it much.
very happy with the purchase, only had a couple things go bad, microwave and rear jack motor. Both replaced by yours truely with parts sent by Keystone.

now I just have to screen the vents to keep the bloody moths out and I am golden!

fla-gypsy
05-15-2012, 05:50 PM
My Keystone Hornet is almost 7 years old and it has been a good camper. I will consider another Keystone.

conroys cougar
06-24-2012, 06:56 AM
Maby IF we had a posted list of the {{ GO TO HELL !! }}Dealers that won't work on an RV they didn't sell then a buyer might think twice about them . I know that turned ME OFF with a local dealer . I went 125 mls away to a C. W. to buy my 2012 24 RLS reather then across the lake from me !

Danny3135
06-25-2012, 04:00 PM
I would have to say NO. This is our third camper (Hobbi Toy Hauler) and the delam problem and the lack of help from Keystone tells me that I do not want to go that route again. Lots of options out there; don't need to be bitten twice.

2011 keystone
06-25-2012, 04:04 PM
I would have to say NO. This is our third camper (Hobbi Toy Hauler) and the delam problem and the lack of help from Keystone tells me that I do not want to go that route again. Lots of options out there; don't need to be bitten twice.

Tell us more. like what year is your TT, HOW LONG HAVE YOU HAD YOUR tt AND WHAT DID THE DEALER YOU BOUGHT FROM HAVE TO SAY?

phillyg
06-25-2012, 04:15 PM
I think yes. When we bought our used Cougar last year our intent was to see if we really wanted to get back into rv'ing, so we bought a smaller unit that we could pull with our existing truck. Our thinking was to upgrade both FW and truck if we decided to stay in.

I did not expect a lot from a 2002 Cougar, but have been very pleased with what I consider to be a very basic unit. I have to say the interior fabrics seem better than other RVs we've looked into, and nothing is falling apart, including the Lippert frame that gets many complaints on RV websites. My rear bumper isn't tearing off at the welds with our two bicycles attached, and it has no leaks or lamination problems. The unit is tight.

While I think there are higher quality manufacturers out there, I would not rule out another Keystone product if we can find the right floorplan and amenities and true 4-season ability.

fred1609
06-25-2012, 09:56 PM
DW and I were sitting in our 327 RES 5er and boy....is it nice..we feel the same way as the day we picked it up.....theres more with fancier stuff in it but ours has everything we need.

boytimme
06-29-2012, 06:58 PM
This is rather long but I think needs to be said. Some is dealer problem, some is Keystone's:
Our day to pick up our new Bullet 248RKS trailer was not the pleasant experience we expected. We were called on Tuesday, June 11 by Jason, our salesman and notified that our trailer was in. We scheduled pick-up for noon on Friday, June 15. I asked if that was enough time to have the slide out cover we ordered, installed. In Jason’s words, “no problem, see you Friday”.
We arrived at noon, asked for Jason and were greeted with: “Huh? Friday is Jason’s day off.” Okay, I was told, someone else would help us. I asked if the slide out cover had been installed. “Uh, no but we can install it while you do the paperwork”. I normally don’t like paying for something before I inspect it but I agreed.
Did the paperwork and that went fine. Then we went to inspect the trailer.
As we approached I could see that some items promised at time of order were missing.

(some background: When we initially visited the dealer we looked at a 2012 248RKS that was in stock. It was perfect, just what we were looking for, except my wife did not like the upholstery. Included was a “comfort package” free of charge which included a power tongue jack, battery switch, picnic table, gas grill, motion detector light, switch panel, porcelain toilet and black water flush system. In order to get the interior upholstery we wanted we agreed to pay more for a 2013 model ordered from Keystone. Part of the agreement was inclusion of all items in the “comfort package”. My exact words at the time of the deal were: “I want an identical trailer to the one we looked at today except with different upholstery” NO PROBLEM, I was told, both by Jason and Todd, who apparently actually ordered the trailer.)

Well as soon as I saw the trailer, it was obvious some things were missing. No power tongue jack, no battery switch, no motion detector light, plastic toilet instead of porcelain, no picnic table. Also, floor plan is different! 2012 RKS has a single street-side slide-out with a fold out air bed sofa and a cabinet with a pantry and double door wardrobe with three drawers at the bottom. Keystone’s web site shows this as the same floor plan for the 2013 model, including photos of this cabinet.
The 2013 version delivered to us has the pantry but only a single width wardrobe and 2 doors at the base instead of three drawers. The slide-out is 18” shorter than the 2012 model.

The dealer’s response is: “those options included in the comfort package were provided by Keystone and apparently some have been discontinued”, forgetting that they were promised to me at the time of order. The dealer grudgingly agreed to add a power tongue jack, and picnic table. Also, at my demand, agreed to a $100 rebate to cover missing battery switch, porcelain toilet and motion detector light. Regarding the floor plan change, his response is: “we were unaware of this change and nothing can be done about it”

A call to Keystone resulted in the following response: “We’re sorry, the web site is not always updated in a timely manner and neither are the product brochures – Nothing can be done at this point” Basically, tough luck buddy, we’ve got your money. Too late now!

All in all, I AM happy with the trailer, but I just feel like I was taken advantage of and that I paid for things I did not receive. The manufacturer advertised one thing and delivered another. The dealer sold me one thing and then delivered another.

rhagfo
06-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Wow, I must have been too busy enjoying our still new to us Copper Canyon 293FWSLS and voted yes and didn't post a response.
Just back from two weeks on the Oregon Coast with the DW and Beagles. We had a great time, weather was not the greatest, but the DW was testing out the rear kitchen (BIG) to the Max, Cakes, Cookies, Roasted Game Hens, Pork Roast, but no Pizza!
Found a few more small things, and have a small list of improvements to do.

jcurryii
06-29-2012, 07:50 PM
We also voted yes,

Started with Springdale 266RLSSR, TT just upgraded to Montana 3455SA fiver, will pick up next week. Towing with 2500 Ram/Cummins

Festus2
06-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Mike & Barb -
I've never had that kind of experience before but I can understand your disappointment and frustration with both the dealer and Keystone. A few other members have gone through similar, unfortunate situations assuming they were getting what they ordered only to be "surprised" when the unit finally arrived.
You would think that Keystone should be able to post updates of floorplans and any other model changes on their website without too much difficulty. I can see where there could be a problem with print material such as brochures but not on their website.
The consumer should get the features that they have ordered and paid for and to be told that there is "nothing that can be done about it" isn't right or acceptable.

I guess the solution is to hold back a percentage of the price until you have completed an inspection and you are satisfied with everything and everything works. Your example illustrates that what you see online and in the brochures is not necessarily what you will get. A lesson here for other potential buyers??

And did you get the upholstery that you wanted?

Despite not getting what you wanted, at least you seem to be pleased with the unit so the final outcome was more or less positive.

boytimme
06-30-2012, 06:54 AM
Yes, we did get the upholstery we wanted! And, we are happy overall with the camper. Just spent our first week on it and everything went fine.
The reason I posted my long, sad story is to warn everyone thinking of buying a camper is, just as you said, DON'T PAY until you're completely satisfied! When thinking of buying and they're trying to sell it, promises fly around like crazy. Once you've paid, you pretty much have given up all your bargaining power and some of those promises get forgotten. Get as many of those promises as possible in writing!
Again, we still like the trailer and probably will buy another Keystone if we ever buy again. (MORE CAUTIOUSLY!)

golfpro
07-01-2012, 01:55 PM
buying a good RV is every day stuff, a great RV is non-existent. As you may not know building a RV is not rocket science so they "throw these things together", you will have problems whether it's with the structure or just one of the appliances. AS some of you know I have worked in the RV industry and have see it all, Well almost all, that is why you want to do a complete and throughal PDI and use the TT every chance you get so you can find those trouble spots and get them fixed before the warranty runs out

blackty
07-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Yes. My issue was with camping world, not Keystone. Love our 327...Jim

I'll tell you all what I did that saved a lot of aggrivation...Conveniently forget to bring your title at pick up time. You would be amazed at how fast things get resolved when someone wants to buy your old 5'er. I actually anticipated problems with the staff from camping world at the Hershey show. Typical shady salespeople. Keep the upper hand.

happytrails
07-02-2012, 05:02 AM
We would definetly buy from Keystone again, but I will not be back to our dealer. Perhaps all dealers have their issues, but ours has not made me very happy. One of the first things they did, which I had not realized, was had us put a down payment on the trailer. That's usually okay, but they had not explained that it was non-refundable. It wasn't until after I got home that I really started reading the fine print that I found it was non-refundable. That was an oversight on MY part and I admit that, but if I had caught it or they would have just told me, I wouldn't have done it. It's just something I wanted others to be aware of. There were also check boxes on the backs of forms for things like holding liable, not taking them to court, etc. etc. that I was able to catch and make the appropriate selections. The only reason I caught those is because during the process their power went out from a huge storm and I got to take the paperwork home (but that was after I signed the one for the deposit). After I turned it all back in they found a "small" error on the forms and gave me a new set to sign without the appropriate check boxes marked again so I had to go back over those. I think they did this on purpose because I couldn't find the "small" error between the original and the new ones. My best advice is to shop around at RV Shows to narrow down what you want, make sure you can tow it, then go to the dealer. I would also suggest dry camping on the dealer lot and if they won't let you...don't buy from them. Watch everything closely!!!

rudythegreat
07-05-2012, 05:16 PM
We are on our second Cougar. :D I'd post a photo, but I ain't figured that part out yet. :confused:

rhagfo
07-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Yes. My issue was with camping world, not Keystone. Love our 327...Jim

I'll tell you all what I did that saved a lot of aggrivation...Conveniently forget to bring your title at pick up time. You would be amazed at how fast things get resolved when someone wants to buy your old 5'er. I actually anticipated problems with the staff from camping world at the Hershey show. Typical shady salespeople. Keep the upper hand.

Just like any chain you get the good and the bad.

We backed out of a deal on a used KZ 5er at the local CW, wanted an aluminum framed unit. I had called KZ's Customer service and they were pretty sure that the unit was AL framed. Well we pulled an outlet on an outside wall and it wasn't AL framed. Well the salesman was upset it wasn't and so were we.

About two weeks later did a search of CW inventory within 400 mile on a hoot! We saw our Copper Canyon in Burlington WA. we got great service for our salesman here getting the right deal setup, we put a hold deposit on a Tuesday, and were going to do PDI, and complete the purchase on Saturday in Burlington.
The dealerships were like night and day, the unit wasn't fully ready when we arrived, the sales crew was not friendly at all and we needed to ASK for the keys once we had signed the papers, and given them our money.
This was a very cold and rainy Saturday they were not busy at all.
Our salesman even came to our house to pickup some paperwork that the other store sent to us by mistake! Thia was about 60 miles round trip.

lightning79
08-16-2012, 08:46 PM

So far, it's been awesome, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

TNT Miller
08-20-2012, 08:41 PM
I have only had my Laredo 266RL for 2 months Really like the floor plan and all the options (Chuckle every time the auto level does its thing) So far Keystone has been good with warranty issues . So yes I would purchase another Keystone RV maybe step up to a model that has a docking station . Just WONT BUY FROM CAMPING WORLD

Retired CSIGuy
09-03-2012, 05:47 AM
We bought new, a KSF 383. We've put about 15k on it. Some small issues and design flaws, like the control panel location and the lame awning. Two BIG issues First was one of the outer wheel bearings was missing a roller. Caught it in a bearing pack before we hit the road in '10. Had to pay to get it fixed, but got reimbersed two months later. Then there was the recalled/defective Iota inverter which burned up. That was a MAJOR deal. Almost caught the trailer on fire and had to stay in a motel for 7 GD days in Kansas in July '11 while Keystone took way too long to get the new one to the Abiline dealer. It was replaced at no charge of course, but I was out the motel bill and stuck in Junction City for over a week. I got reimbursed for a portion of the motel bill but it took 6 mos to get a check from KS....soooo...I'm undecided if I'd buy another KS product. I might, but I'd take a good look around first.

Oledutchguy
09-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Well oldwassername and I would buy another Keystone unit. Since we were newbies to the process we did a lot of research. What we found was the dealer seemed to make the difference. We sat in two other units at a show and the dealers did not approach us after 15 to 30 minutes.

The dealer employee that did the prep was also the one that was with us during the PDI and there was NO hurry on his part. He tested every system on the unit before we got there. Had it been in April they would have set this up in their camp ground for two nights for us for a real checkout. We got a pager number of the service tech on call on the weekends to talk us through problems if we ran into one.

But, this unit was hauled from nothern Indiana to New Castle Indiana and then 390 miles to a place in Tennessee and not moved since. So it is not subject to the bumps and grinds of over the road travel.

mhs4771
09-03-2012, 06:26 AM
We would have if we could have found a floor plan we really liked. We bought our Montana because of the floor plan and the ability to use the unit with the slides in if we had too. In two years of ownership that never came up and living in it for 9 months of the year we wanted more room. We checked all the Montana models, but nothing really floated our boat so we ended up with a different Thor product and love it. To each their own.

foothill17
09-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Haven't picked up our Montana 3000rk so I can't vote but I'm sure hoping it'll be a trouble free unit. All RVs have issue, just hoping mine are minor.

curlyfungirl
09-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Absolutely! We bought our first rv five years ago. It was a 2008 VR. I. It was a complete joy with just a few minor quirks that we had to iron out. Three weeks ago we bought a new 2011 Montana 358RL. We are confident that we will enjoy this rig as much as we did our first rig.

Petlover
09-16-2012, 06:16 PM
My first keystone was a 2010 Couger 24RKS and we loved the rear kitchen. The only broblem we ever had in the 2 1/2 years we owned the TT was one ceiling speaker was bad and was covered under warranty. We were so pleased with the unit that when we started looking to upgrade, we looked at all the 5th wheels. The choice narrowed to Heartland and Keystone.

Since we had excellent service from our TT, we chose a Montana 3750 Fl and love everyting about it.

Yes, we would purchase a Keystone again.

Petlover

Badboy
09-17-2012, 03:48 AM
yes i would yes

heli190
09-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Just sold our 05 Montana 3670 and purchased an Alpine 3600. Great unit, but Keystone has still not figured out how to wire in the Tv jacks..They need to learn that Sat dishes normally mount on the roof, not in the water station.

placergoldman
09-20-2012, 08:38 PM
We have a 2008 passport 245rb but will be trading it in and will pick up our new cougar 27rlswe next week..so i guess that would be a yes on buying another keystone product..i just hope we have the same good luck with the new tt as the old one..

Tim

StacyB
09-25-2012, 12:16 PM
We'll probably buy Keystone again. Our 2010 318SAB just started having issues this week-end with our trip to Hershey, PA. Most are minor with the exception of the bed seperating from the slide-out wall, (still haven't figured that out). Other than that, we have been plenty satisfied.

rv4d
11-02-2012, 05:14 AM
We have owned it since 5/2012, overnighted 28 nights in leased space near home, and traveled an additional 6 weeks (2,600 miles) with no real problems. Several minor issues, but fixed myself - also beginning list of owner installed mods - don't know how anyone that is not mechanical can enjoy this lifestyle/hobby.

Back to dealer to have poorly installed and reinforced shower pan repaired, dining table moved and microwave replaced. All done. Also had spare tire installed UNDER and behind rear axle.

Dealer = shaky
Keystone = so far so good
Jury = still out

That said we love the overall experience. Montana next time??

Htfiremedic
11-02-2012, 06:38 AM
So far a BIG yes! We bought our Fuzion TE II used at CW in Asheville, NC. Harvie Coates was our salesman and was great. Our PDI was done by the man who did the inspection. He ran our salesman off and did the PDI himself. He pointed out a few issues, called Harvie over and made it right without us asking for it to b fixed.
Those guys took care of us. We were in a hurry, we had a family member at home, an hour and a half away, on hospice and near death. They had all paperwork ready, we were in and out in an hour and a half with complete satisfaction.
Yes!

geo
11-02-2012, 11:53 AM
OK, I'll admit. Earlier in this thread I said "Yes". But, I guess I should be truthful.

The answer is "No". And the new fiver isn't a Thor Industries either. DW and I have ordered a DRV Elite Suites 38RSSB3 with some customization.

I hope I might still be accepted to remain here at KeystoneRV.org as a former owner. Please?

And, if you know anyone heading up to work the Bakken or Marcellus, and if they are looking for a well-insulated Alpine, with tank heaters, etc. (follow my posted threads in the Mods), PM me and I can send you the dealer information where they can find it. But be sure they become part of the Keystone Forum too!

Ron

azlee56
11-02-2012, 11:56 AM
after all that work and mods your giving up your RV for another one??!!! You will have to start all over doing mods on that one. (smiling)

Festus2
11-02-2012, 12:25 PM
geo -
Former owners, present owners, future owners - "you all" are welcome. :wlcm:

Because of your past and extensive work in the belly of the Alpine surpassed only by the verbosity of your related posts, I will be nominating you for a "Lifetime Membership" in our forum.

You can't get rid of us simply by buying another brand of RV.

:D

jerseyphil
11-02-2012, 12:48 PM
I would definitely buy another Keystone Cougar. I love the value, floor plans, AND, I've had mine for almost 2 years now and only a couple very minor issues. All systems have always worked perfectly.

The minor issues were things like a closet catch broke, and my dinette table needed an extra screw in the base to secure it better. That's it. I can't complain at all.

Great Thread!!

Phil

geo
11-02-2012, 01:44 PM
after all that work and mods your giving up your RV for another one??!!! You will have to start all over doing mods on that one. (smiling)

Azlee56 -

Actually, I won't have to start all over. The DRV comes with "rock wool batt" insulation - no Formaldahyde, tank heaters, etc. In fact, though I didn't option it, one could get dual 30,000 BTU furnaces! I am having it customized to install a reverse osmosis system, but I want to install that. They get to run all the plumbing and electric, though. If you like, I can PM you when we get it and maybe some pics.

Thank you, Festus2, for the kind words. Actually, you reminded me of a post I should make in case someone follows me into "The World of the Underbelly"! I'll put it in the Mods section.

And, if someone needs a cold weather Alpine, let me know. The sales manager has asked me if I could help with the PDI to show the new owner "what all that stuff is for and how to work it". :D

Ron

SAD
11-02-2012, 01:59 PM
... DW and I have ordered a DRV Elite Suites 38RSSB3 ...

Totally jealous!!! Congrats.

JRTJH
11-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Festus2, <and Geo>

I second your nomination of Geo for lifetime membership to this forum. After all, he's most likely typed more words in the "underbelly systems" than most people have (or ever will) type. He's the leader of the "belly brigade" around these parts "bouncey:

Additionally, I'm sure that the kind folks in the DRV elite forum would NEVER understand his affinity for olive oil :scuba:

Festus2
11-02-2012, 02:14 PM
John -
If the truth be known, only a handful of our members can understand and appreciate his "affinity for olive oil". We'll have to take a look at making a Sticky for his underbelly and insulation posts (thesis, dissertations,treaty, discourse,.... ??).

geo
11-02-2012, 02:29 PM
SAD - Thank you.

Hmmm, John and Festus2 - Now about my affinity for Olive Oil ... I'm trying to remember the original poster and second poster to the following thread. :D.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4959&highlight=olive

I think I just blew my chances of that Lifetime Membership ...

Ron

JRTJH
11-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Geo,

You should know you are always ALWAYS welcome here, no matter what your affinity to olive oil may be....

Sorry to see you moving on with another brand, but I do understand your decisions and wish you the best.

Don't be a stranger around these parts. :)

John

stormy2000
11-04-2012, 07:51 PM
our keystone sprinter is just over a month old, and we're FT currently. I would say no, due to the poor workmanship. The floorplan is good, the upgraded a/c works great, furnance works good, and so on, but the TT is falling apart and so new.

bed paneling bending out of place, spots where it looks like they stapled it has no staple and is loose, the connections on the battery is out and i have no solution how to get it back in, the rubber gasket right under the main door slides out weekly, and so on... this is our first TT and well, at least we will know what to look for in our next unit.

bill & jodi

fivergeezer
11-21-2012, 08:23 AM
The results are not in yet. I've owned my Montana 3402RL just under a yr. and have pulled it about 5K miles. We bought it because we loved the floorplan. We still do. We are unsure at this point of the quality as we have some issues. The automatic leveling system leaks down and appears to be leaking fluid from the control panel because it runs down the outside of the unit. The kitchen faucet supply hose fitting leaked and ruined the floor of the cabinet. The sink in the head area is almost useless as the overhang of the cabinet above it blocks access to it. The entrance door is so off center it unlatches while towing. The dead bolt is the only thing that keeps it from opening. The screens fall out of the windows and generally don't fit well. The decorative window dressing brackets pull the screws out of the paneling as it appears there is no backing behind the paper thin paneling. The sliding mirror door on bedroom wardrobe's hardware is broken. The factory installed trailer hitch receiver was not drilled for a pin and it is so light- duty it will not hold a carrier with 2 light weight Trek bikes. Seal gaskets fall off of the compartment doors. It is almost impossible to balance the dual A/C units so one or the other unit doesn't run continuously. The door post switch for the entrance lights failed on the second day of our first trip. Our dealer's location is so far from where we keep the RV it's just not convenient to take it there for service so I have fixed many little things myself and others are still a concern.

Still and all, compared to our Winnabago class A motorhome we used to have, this thing is as good as gold. I can't say if I'll buy another Keystone, but I can promise I will never buy another Winnebago product.

DJ85
11-21-2012, 12:24 PM
I would do it all over again just not from the same dealer. I laugh when I went in for service warranty. Sign above service office read " Takes years to earn a customer but it can take 2 seconds to lose one" They have had my camper for a month now fixing a bouncy floor and replacing a ceiling panel. I have called at least 10 times to see when it will be done 1 if I actually get to talk to someone he blames the body shop, 2 the body shop blames service dept for failing to schedule right time. I scheduled a month in advance before and then rechecked with service before I told it down. Live and learn they alway say. Thanks for listening and dont ask me where I aint saying.

Badboy
11-22-2012, 04:36 AM
YES
"bouncey:

jlarocca
11-26-2012, 07:19 AM
I took delivery of mine last week and wished I would have visited this site first. I'm very happy with how its laid out as its perfect for my family of 5. I was very fortunate to park next to an owner of the previous year model of my exact unit and chat with him. He loves his, says all he's had to change was light bulbs. I did determine that they put the bedroom door on backwards so you can't fold out the lower bed in the back bedroom and open the door (confirmed this with an online video tour from another dealership) and they didn't put any heat vents in the bathroom or upper bedroom yet the ductwork is under the floor (can see it from the storage compartment). Wound up buying a space heater because my wife and I were freezing up front while my kids were roasting in the back. My propane tanks didn't switch over so the heat did cut off in the middle of the night. I wound up having to swap sides with the bottles as I never could get it work.

Joe
11-26-2012, 03:00 PM
We have only had our Passport 2850 for 2 years with the only problem being the TV stopped working. However, I do worry about the long haul. My fear is they traded too much quality for light weight. Only time will tell.

Terry W.
11-28-2012, 06:31 PM
This is our 3rd Keystone. Had a Outback 25RSS, Sprinter 300KBS and now a Avalanche 330RE so yes I think we buy another Keystone product. No real problem with either unit.

Bigsky3625
11-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Voted yes. First Keystone. Love our 3625re Big Sky. Had a few minor things but all have been fixed under warranty.

Guess going with the upgraded version has some advantages. Keeping our fingers crossed all our trips go as well as the previous ones.

curlyfungirl
11-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Totally jealous!!! Congrats.

Let us know if you think they are worth the extra $$$$$. We considered them but went with the Montana.