PDA

View Full Version : Warning! Tire Rubbing on Brake Wire Caused Brake Failure!

Bowline
06-07-2011, 04:03 PM
I have been on a 10,000 mile three month long trip in my Cougar 275 trailer. I noticed my brakes were not as effective as they should be, so I went under the trailer and found that the wiring for the front axle brakes was rubbing against the tire, and that the insulation was abraded off of part of the wire. I jacked up the trailer and had my wife apply the brakes while I rotated the tire. The brakes were not working, as the copper conductor was broken. I spliced the wire together using water proof wire nuts which I then coated with silicone sealant. The brakes worked. I used plastic wire ties to secure the wire to the spring hanger, away from the tire. This could have been catastrophic!

The brake wire had worked its way out where it exits the frame. There was enough extra length for it to extend all the way to the tire wall where it began rubbing. This is something that all Keystone owners should check out!

rjsurfer
06-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Great info....

A easier way to see if your brakes are working is hold a compass next to the hub and have someone max out the trailer brake either by holding the brake down or swing the brake control lever all the way over, the compass needle will swing toward the hub if that brake is working.

Ron W.

Me.Bikes.Dogs
06-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Hey Bowline,

I've read about many other Keystone's over the years having this same problem. Be sure to report this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm) so they can add it to their database.

Jim W
06-08-2011, 05:19 AM
When I did my PDI on the trailer with the dealer. I notice that the brake wires could rub on the leaf springs and tires as the trailer was towed down the road. I made the dealer put wiring loom around the brake wires and then use a couple of tie straps to rout the brake wire away from the rub points.
NAPA sells wiring loom in bulk packages and has different inside diameters. I have used .375 diameter in the past for two wire applications in the same loom, .25 diameter may work also.
This is why I always insist on a PDI before buying a trailer.
Jim W.

Johnnyfry
06-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Good point Jim. I am going to loom & secure the wires on my 318SAB next week.

Thanks,
John

Johnnyfry
06-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Thanks to you also, Bowline.

John