PDA

View Full Version : Smelly sink

Kanuknut
08-03-2017, 03:57 PM
We are new to fifth wheeling and we are having a sewer smell coming from under our galley sink. Our model is Cougar 333mks. Would it be coming from the drain or under the sink would it help cleaning the drains by dumping vinegaror something down the drain? Please help.:eek:

Tbos
08-03-2017, 05:11 PM
Your vent is most likely stuck in the open position. Try un-screwing it and shaking it. If it rattles it might be ok. Put it back on. Mine gets stuck now and then and we get the sewer smell. I do this, dump and rinse and we are good to go.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

JimQ
08-03-2017, 05:21 PM
I always add the treatment to the gray tanks as I do for the black. The smell may be from bits of food matter etc, bacteria, so mix a little treatment and fill the trap with it after you check the vent. It will smell like the first day of spring!:lol:

theeyres
08-03-2017, 08:23 PM
Your vent is most likely stuck in the open position. Try un-screwing it and shaking it. If it rattles it might be ok. Put it back on. Mine gets stuck now and then and we get the sewer smell. I do this, dump and rinse and we are good to go.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

There is a vent under the sink that Rv's use instead of a vent pipe. I'm with Tbos and 90% sure it is stuck open. It is a very cheap replace item. Just screw on a replacement.

Kanuknut
08-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Thank DH just unscrewed it and it's fine thanks for the help:D

bobbecky
08-07-2017, 06:38 PM
I normally don't use treatment in the grey or galley tanks, but have occasionally had odors coming from the sinks. When that occurs, I use Odorlos tank treatment and the odor goes away pretty quick. I use the granule packs that have a long shelf life, just pour the granules down the drain and run some water, all this after draining the tanks.

cvin
08-07-2017, 07:01 PM
I am in the middle of dealing with this issue also

The vent is called an air admittance valve

I also let the trap dry out in that sink and lots of people chimed in it can be that too...

I did some serious flushing of the tanks last time i was there and made sure the sinks had a lot of water run through them

Also got this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BSB7PU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seemed to be good when i left the trailer a week ago, will update my air admittance valve thread this weekend when i get back up to the camper, hopefully it will still be smell free....