PDA

View Full Version : Route from Michigan to Columbia, SC.

busterbrown
07-19-2017, 02:18 AM
The wife, kids and I are going south towards Columbia, SC to see the fast approaching solar eclipse of 2017. Our trip begins from the Detroit area. Our final destination is the Fort at Disney. Google has routed us down I-77 into Columbia. As this is the fastest route, I'm wondering how the grades are verses the more popular southbound route of Interstate 75. We have a 35 foot trailer in tow.

Alternatively, we could always take I-75 south towards Knoxville, TN then I-40 east connecting to I-26 east into Columbia.

Looking for a relaxing drive, not necessarily grade after grade after grade. I've done I-75 from Detroit to Florida at least 30 times in my life. I've never travelled the other two routes. Any comments on I-77 road conditions, grades, fueling stations, and rest stops are appreciated.

canesfan
07-19-2017, 06:19 AM
Either way you're going to have to cross the mountains, either on I-77 in WV or I-40 in TN/NC. I can't speak for either towing a camper, but I have pulled over I-64 in WV with a fiver with no problems. The only issues I had were the semis flying by at 70 mph with the big yellow warning signs with flashing lights stating 45 mph on some curves. Other than that no issues. Having lived in SC just outside Columbia, the roads are TERRIBLE, the traffic is TERRIBLE, especially around Columbia. It's everyone for themselves. Maybe not as bad as Atlanta, but close. Not sure how much that helps. Good luck with your trip.

Edit - Wondering how much further 75 is than 77? Glancing at a map they look pretty close to equal, being you'd have to get over to 77 from Detroit.