PDA

View Full Version : Montana single cable/satellite connection

jewallac
06-05-2011, 05:41 AM
I am new to this forum and searched but didn't find a similar issue. Please excuse if this is addressed elsewhere. I have a 2010 2955 RL Montana that has a single exterior connection for cable and satellite. I have previously owned five 5th wheels and they always had separate connections for cable and satellite. I purchased the Winegard Carryout automatic satellite dish but it would not work through the cable/satellite connection. It had to be connected directly to the satellite receiver. I returned it and am considering the Winegard Carryout manual satellite dish. However, I'm wondering if this will have the same problem. I would greatly appreciate anyone who can advise if this single cable/satellite connection is the problem and maybe it's not going to work with any dish.

June

dave67
06-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Your signal from the satellite will not work with the cable connection because they more then likely have a splitter or two in there as well.You need a direct run.And then that Carry out will work.

jewallac
06-06-2011, 04:50 AM
Thanks. Would the exterior connection work with a standard dish? I can't imagine why Keystone would put one connection if it doesn't work with satellite.

slewis95407
06-06-2011, 05:09 AM
June

This is from a previous post, hope it helps.
My Cougar: The satellite connection goes to the bedroom first (2 coax wall plate 1 water works and 1 to basement outside tv) and the only connection to the entertainment center is thru the powered coax connection (turn off power). The satellite receiver had to go in the bed room. This was ok but not the best reception at the entertainment center. Couldn't get HD to the entertainment center. Also the Cougar didn't have a phone connection.
Solution: Installed a coax and phone connector in one duplex inlet on the slideout behind the intertainment center. Behind the tv in the intertainment center I installed 3 shelves for my vcr, dish receiver and printer. There is about a 1 inch gap below the tv and the shelves. The receiver has to be raised to align the IR port with this gap.
There are pictures in my profile.

mhs4771
06-08-2011, 04:22 PM
June, I have the same year and model so Here's the story. Behind the Living Room TV is a panel with two coax connectors and a jumper between them. Remove the jumper and connect a coax from the bottom (I think, I'd check my rig but the slides are in as we're off in the AM) connector to your Receiver. Now you should be able to get signal from the Cable/Satellite jack to your receiver. If you use the Audio/Video jacks to connect to the LR TV and have an RF out port on the Rcvr, you can feed that signal into the top port to feed signal to the Bedroom TV, make sure the Antenna Amp is "OFF". You'll only be able to watch the same channel as the Living Room. If you have a dual output LNB and a second Rcvr there is a way to get signal to a second Rcvr in the Bedroom. If interested PM me and I'll try to explain how I did it. I don't worry about it any more as I installed a Roof mount Auto Dish (Winegard Trav'ler)

imdun
08-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Looking to purchase a Winegard slimline travler and was wondering how difficult it is to install it youself. I have a 2011 Montana 3580RL. TV in living room, tv in bedroom and a tv in the basement storage area. I understand the basic install process but not sure if there is a place in the roof to access the coax cables or can one easily run cables from the dish location to the various locations of the TV's.

mhs4771
08-29-2011, 05:49 AM
I had mine installed at a near by Service Center. Had the Second AC and Dish installed at the same time. I don't thing it would be extremely hard, but I wanted someone who had done multiple installs. Typical install drills a hole through the roof to run the cables and control line through. Part of the install includes a cover plate to seal the hole once the cables are in place. If you do get one, make sure you also get the Heavy Duty Mounting Plate (about 100 bucks) but gives a good solid base for mounting the Dish (remember it's big and heavy). We've had ours just over a year now, and love it. Park, unhook, push a button for the auto level system, put out the slides, push another button, dish raises up, searches for sat, locks in and in a few minutes tele is running while I'm still hooking up the water and sewer connections. Best of luck