PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here...a question about the water pump...

Mosnowman
06-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Okay my orientation obviously was lacking ( and overloaded) and thanks to you guys I am getting there....slowly.. ;)

Next weekend will be the first outing without a water hookup. I have a Bullet 278 RLS and would like to utilize the fresh water tank, but really have no idea how to do it and when to know it is full. Can someone give me a step by step list? I also don't know how or where my water pump is located. Does it go on automatically when hooked to electricity, or is there a switch that needs to be turned on?

Sorry for these basic questions, but the manuals don't seem too helpful. If anyone from Keystone is reading this I have a suggestion for all new RV sales...include a DVD and it would help us tremendously. Those of us completely new to the RV world (and clueless like myself) would really appreciate the reference DVD to pull out and use.

Festus2
06-04-2011, 12:30 PM
If you are going to be without city water, you can use your fresh water tank by doing the following:
1) Locate the fresh postable water filler cap on the outside of your unit. It is usually right next to the city water hookup.
2) Insert a clean hose into the neck and begin filling. You can get a good idea of how much water is in the tank by checking your fresh water gauge. This gauge is with the others --- Battery, etc.
3) As you are filling, check underneath to make sure the spigot of valve for the fresh water tank drain is closed or you will lose water almost as fast as you are putting it in.
4) You can also tell when the tank is completely full as water will start to spill out the filler neck.
5) When the tank is full, turn the pump switch on. It is usually by the H/W tank switch and will turn red when the pump is on.
6) Usually, if you turn the pump on at the switch, you will hear the pump running and pushing water through the system - getting rid of air in lines as it does so. When the air is cleared, the pump should be primed and should stop running.
7) The pump is usually located near your sink. It is probably at floor level and may be behind a compartment or panel. Remove the panel -- to check the location. You should know where this pump is by the vibration or sound coming from it.
8) Open your taps -- one faucet at a time ---- just to make sure you have water running in all lines and also to get rid of any air that may still be there.
9) The pump runs off 12v and if you are hooked up to 110V, the converter will take of the conversion to the pump. Otherwise, it will utilize your battery for power.

If this is the first time you have used your pump, it make take a while for it to get all the air worked out of the system. When you turn off a tap, the pump may run for a very short while afterwards . This is normal as it does that to keep the pressure built up. It should not run for an unusual length of time.
If you hear your pump coming on for short periods and you are not running any water, that usually indicates that you have a leak somewhere in the lines.
I don't like hauling around a bunch of water ---- it just adds a lot of extra weight on the back of the 5th wheel. If there is a fresh water supply at the place where I am going, I fill up my tank there.
You might also look into sanitizing your tank before using the fresh water. You can do this by putting water in your tank,,,,, add bleach 1/2 cup or so ------- let it sit. Run water through lines...then drain your tank. You might do this again but it isn't always necessary. Your drains for the tank should be directly below it. Look for a spigot or valve.
Hope this helps --- if not--- ask for more!

GMcKenzie
06-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Buy a rv water filter. They are cheap and can remove most of the taste and odour in some campgrounds water.

Not sure where to pick them up down south, but I just grab a new one at Canadian Tire every spring so I'm sure they will be easy to find.

Me.Bikes.Dogs
06-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Hey Mosnowman,

Festus2 has it deadon. I would recommend sanitizing the fresh water tank before using it the first time. I do one thing different...I partially fill my fresh water tank, add the bleach, then continue filling until full. This will mix the bleach better than adding it at the end.

Once you have the bleach mixture in there, run water through every faucet in the trailer until you smell the bleach. Then drain the tank and fill it with just fresh water. Do the same thing with the faucets. Run water from each faucet until you don't smell bleach. Drain the tank and fill or partially fill it again. Flush one more time if you smell bleach from any faucet.

Now you can decide whether or not you want to fill the water before you leave or, if water is available at your destination, fill there.

gepaine
06-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Me.Bikes.Dogs said,"Once you have the bleach mixture in there, run water through every faucet in the trailer until you smell the bleach. Then drain the tank and fill it with just fresh water."

I agree except I think you should let the bleach water sit for 2 to 3 hours before draining the tank.

Me.Bikes.Dogs
06-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Hey gepaine, the Center for Disease Control says 30 seconds to sanitize water storage containers is all that's needed. According to Clorox, 10 minutes is what you need to kill the most nasty viruses like parvovirus (which certainly shouldn't be in your fresh water system). I figure by the time you run it through all the faucets I've spent 10 minutes.

gepaine
06-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Hi Me.Bikes.Dogs,

You are correct as to the CDC's 30-second recommendation; however, they also specify a much stronger solution than the 1/2 cup per tank assumed above. The CDC says 1 teaspoon of bleach per quart. For my 60 gallon tank that would be a whopping 5 cups of bleach! I prefer using a more diluted solution and giving it plenty of time to work.

hankaye
06-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Howdy All;

Looks like a neighborhood get togather here...:D
A lot of good solid information...

My input is leave it in as long as you think is good. Anything over an hour or 2 that is. Then when you run it out the faucets let it run till you DO NOT smell the bleach. then it's clean...:D

hankaye

Mosnowman
06-14-2011, 08:29 PM
You guys are great! I really appreciate all the help and wisdom you guys offer us heavies! Thank you thank you thank you!