PDA

View Full Version : Shore Water Leak

Txoutback
06-04-2011, 07:29 AM
I read in another thread that ppl were having issues with the cheap plastic water connection leaking but could not locate it. I too was having the same issue. No matter how much I tighten it would leak like a sieve. What I noticed was the threads on the plastic connector are too deep, allowing the hose connection to bottom out before it can seal on the o-ring/screen. I solved this issue by adding a second $0.15 o-ring as depicted.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=67&pictureid=303

I'm still working out the bugs :(
Happy Camping

Bob Landry
06-07-2011, 06:17 PM
The water hose threads kept pulling out of the soft plastic connector. I added a 90 degree fiting on the inlet, and that seems to make the symptom go away, but the cause of the problem remains. The fill needs to be replaced. I would like to replace the city/gravity fill with something of a little better quality. Has anyone swapped this water inlet setup out to something else? It's made by JR Products. I'm wondering what kind of connection it uses on the back side.

hankpage
06-07-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm wondering what kind of connection it uses on the back side.

It is just a short barbed hose connection with a hose or spring clamp. Nothing exotic.

Outbackmel
06-08-2011, 03:46 AM
I always keep a roll of this tape handy as well as having some "O" rings around. Being a former boater for many years; I learned, painfully, that water will leak at every minimal opportunity :mad:

Between the two, generally can stop a leak in a couple of minutes.

One would think that of all of the campers and complaints, someone surely would develop a permanent solution for water hook up....

The Sod Father
06-08-2011, 10:04 AM
One would think that of all of the campers and complaints, someone surely would develop a permanent solution for water hook up.... The problem there is that a better solution would cost more $ in R&D and manufacturing. There is a reason why they use the cheapest parts possible - profit. If I can save $5 per trailer by using a cheaper part, and sell 1,000 trailers in a quarter, I just made an easy $5,000. I don't agree with the practice, but it is a reality in the world of mass production. And one of the reason why most manufacturing jobs went to The Peoples Republic of China.:mad:

Johnnyfry
06-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Also beware of the colored plastic hose washers. On certain fittings they will absolutely not seal. I almost threw 2 hose nozzles in the trash until I discovered the problem was the washers. Get the red rubber ones and they might do the trick.

Bob Landry
06-08-2011, 01:14 PM
I don't use the colored washers, but just looking at them, they seem like they would be a little too hard to give a good gasket type seal.