PDA

View Full Version : slide water leak

popup
06-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Greetings, I've got an issue with a water leak coming down near the front and outside sidewall of the slide underneath the sofa. I just put a slide topper on it and still leaks. I've also resealed both outside Windows with silicone and the side seams. Compartment door looks tight too. I'm going crazy
With this.

I've checked every inch of the main roof and don't see anything. Can water even make it from the main roof out to the outside wall of the slide or should I just concentrate on checking the slide

Please any insight would be appreciated I'm at my ends wit

hankpage
06-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Greetings, I've got an issue with a water leak coming down near the front and outside sidewall of the slide underneath the sofa. I just put a slide topper on it and still leaks. I've also resealed both outside Windows with silicone and the side seams. Compartment door looks tight too. I'm going crazy
With this.

I've checked every inch of the main roof and don't see anything. Can water even make it from the main roof out to the outside wall of the slide or should I just concentrate on checking the slide

Please any insight would be appreciated I'm at my ends wit

Is it coming down the wall or is it just getting the carpet wet??? If just the carpet it can be the metal trim on the bottom of the side of the slide. It is held on with a few screws and then caulked .... some of the caulking was missing on mine and caused the carpet to get wet just at floor level. If I had not removed my booth dinette I never would have seen it until too late.
Hope this helps, Hank

popup
06-03-2011, 02:10 PM
If you're referring to the metal strips that run sideways along the front and rear outside of the slide they're sealed. I had the same issue on the rear side near the dinnete when I first got the camper. It was the first thing I checked. I think its coming down the wall because o have a soft spot on the front wall near the corner about 4" in diameter

Please any suggestions are appreciated

Festus2
06-03-2011, 02:53 PM
No suggestions just yet -- more questions.
1) Does the leaking occur with your slide in? out? or both?
2) Does it leak when it is not raining? (thinking of possible leaks in a water line or connection near this area -- black tank flush? outside shower taps??)
3) Was it leaking before you added the slide topper? Sounds like it was by your description.
4) Does water come in while the slide is in and you are travelling?

I can understand your frustration. Chasing down the source of a leak is difficult at best. Water can be coming in one place, travel, and show up somewhere else.

Hopefully, by working together, we can help you out.

popup
06-03-2011, 03:14 PM
It was leaking before the topper which may I say looks great and I thought would solve the issue. It was leaking both open and closed hence the main reason for the recent top.

I just got it back last week for the topper and gave it my twice a year roof cleaning. After all the roof rinsing and side washing it was moist once again in the same spot. I know its not rain because it hasn't rained around here in weeks. Not even a sprinkle. I always suspected the main caulked seam on the slides roof but the topper Took care of that

hankaye
06-03-2011, 04:01 PM
popup, Howdy;

Hate to hear about leaks...

my question is;
Have you checked the seam at the edge of the roof (the gutter section), AND at the bottom of the section that is above the slide? Will be harder to look at now with the topper on.....
Just guessin'...
hankaye

therink
06-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Last week I noticed a small bubble on the lower sidewall of my rear slide (just above the lower metal strip). I also noticed a pinhole or tiny void in the caulk at the outside top edge of the strip. I was watching water run down the wall from the slide roof as it should, while it was raining. The water runs right over this area.
Now I have a small area of water damage in the wall. Carpet inside was not wet though. I will be removing the strip, install putty tape behind it, dip the screws in pro flex caulk and put the strip back on. Actually, I will be doing this to all the lower strips on all 3 slides. I think that without putty tape behind all of these strips, I would be looking at more leaks in the future as the thin strip of caulk breaks down. JAYCO uses putty tape behind the lower slide wall strips as it should be.
Steve

popup
06-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Last year i replaced the vinyl insert in the metal trim around the edge of the main roof. Re-torqued the screws and gave each one a drop of silicone on each screw head before I replaced the trim. It still looks new so I really don't suspect it. As for the slide roof with the topper its bone dry

I'm still wondering can i get a leak from the main roof area like the a/c or antennas or is it just going to be in the slide.

My metal strips sealant looks tight with no pinholes. I've gone over those repeatedly with a fine tooth comb.

popup
06-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Still going crazy leak finding. While double checking all the seams I came across the metal strip previously mentioned that runs across the top and bottom of the slide on the front and rear of the slide with all of the Phillips head screws. While the top of the strips look tightly sealed the bottoms never have seen any sealant. Is this intentional from factory as a weap/drip area or should I just seal it up to.

Running out of options. Also if anyone can please answer can water leak from the main roof area down a slide wall. Need to know where to concentrate my efforts

therink
06-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Popup
Yes, there should be sealant behind and on the exposed edges of the drip edge strips you are referring to. Inadequate caulking/sealing of the strips from the factory caused one of mine to leak. Fortunately, I noticed the leak before causing real damage.
I am removing all of my lower strips, backing them with puttytape and using proflex sealant on all screws and screw holes. Hopefully that will give insurance for a while. I ordered the materials from pplmotorhomes.com
Steve