PDA

View Full Version : May need second air-conditioner

Banjopicks
06-13-2017, 11:16 AM
There's an electrical prep for a second air-conditioner in my RV. Would this be a DIY job or should I get a pro? Getting too hot in the living room which is at the other end of the RV where we have an air-conditioner.

chuckster57
06-13-2017, 12:20 PM
It can be a DIY project, just need to know a few things. Is the thermostat wiring there? What thermostat do you have now? If you pull off the garnish ring in the bedroom vent you'll be able to determine if it's ducted with the rest of the A/C system.

Once these questions are answered, you can choose the proper unit and plenum.

Banjopicks
06-14-2017, 05:14 AM
After a little research, I think I will install a non-ducted unit with the controls in the ceiling. My living room ceiling is very low so easy to control the unit plus it will be completely separate from the other one so I can run either or both.

I don't know if the thermostat wires are in the box. I'll take a look. If they are, could I get a dual AC thermostat that would set them individually?

bsmith0404
06-14-2017, 07:22 AM
If your unit is wired for it, a dual thermostat is the best way to go. It's nice to be able to control the temps in the entire RV throughout the day/night when you have temperature fluctuations. Of course temp sensors for each zone are important as well.